Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Walking your bike out, or carrying it, happens.
in spades with sram carbon cranks!

I've knocked a pedal out of a crank, broken spindles, done all the normal tire shit, destroyed the internals of suspension, broken a brake part.....the only time I've straight up walked was broken wheels.

And yes as a matter of principle I've one leg pedaled and coasted with a foot on the pivot or swingarm to get back to my car

Last edited:
in spades with sram carbon cranks!

I've knocked a pedal out of a crank, broken spindles, done all the normal tire shit, destroyed the internals of suspension, broken a brake part.....the only time I've straight up walked was broken wheels.

And yes as a matter of principle I've one leg pedaled and coasted with a foot on the pivot or swingarm to get back to my car
Yup. Been there, done that. Not with crabon... Beating a front wheel bent almost 90° on a rock to get it so it'll roll is interesting...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
And the stronger the seals the more resistance to spinning freely.
That's always the trade off, better sealed = more resistance to spinning.
That's why a Chris King is always slower than a DT hub.... it's all down to the seals.
And why some pro mechanics would remove seals on guys like Minnars bike on race day (then throw the bearings in the bin at the end of the day).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well now I know. Turning it in my hand, it doesn't feel smooth. The smaller upper bearing seems fine.

The silver metal material looks different on each bearing. Maybe something to do with it?

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
So, I'm planning on replacing my Syntace Vector Carbon bars after the end of the year as it will have 5 seasons on it. (If I live)

What are some recommendations for a 31.8 alloy bar that is decently compliant? I have a Spank Spike 800 Vibrocore on the DH bike that I like so another Spank is a possibility. Being this is for the new school geo trailbike, a 780 width is fine. So what do you recommend?
I second the Spank (Vibrocore) recommendation. Probably the best damping aluminum bar, relatively inexpensive, and I haven't killed any yet. Check the up/back sweep as they are not the same across all Vibrocore models

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All my CC lower bearings are smooth and stay together. I'd say there's something up with that, but if it is smooth with grease I wouldn't question it too much either, it's not coming apart with the fork and frame on both sides.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I installed a Wolf Tooth Premium headset in my Meta 3 years ago and it's been flawless since then. Never repacked the bearings yet and they still feel like new. That's what I'll use on every build I do from now on.

@buckoW what did you use for installation in the frame? Seems like the removal wasn't that easy :wacko: I started using copper paste for headsets and press fit BBs and it seems to be the best so far (on aluminium frames).

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I installed a Wolf Tooth Premium headset in my Meta and it's been flawless since then. Never repacked the bearings yet and they still feel like new. That's what I'll use on every build I do from now on.

@buckoW what did you use for installation in the frame? Seems like the removal wasn't that easy :wacko: I started using copper paste for headsets and press fit BBs and it seems to be the best so far (on aluminium frames).
I used a Park Tool headset press and whatever grease I had closest.
The Hope lower ec44 cups seem to hold up better for me. These are in steel DH frames with 40s btw.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does FSA still make the PIG Pro headset?
"Saved" a couple of flared head tubes BITD with those

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I second the Spank (Vibrocore) recommendation. Probably the best damping aluminum bar, relatively inexpensive, and I haven't killed any yet. Check the up/back sweep as they are not the same across all Vibrocore models
I have teh vibrocore on all my bikes. No complaints. Love the feel. Available in all kinds of heights and you cut it down in sizes for whatever you're looking for.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Something started knocking in my Helm coil today. Feels like the spring is broken and makes some clunk when compressing it at around half travel. Weird, it was working great the last time I rode it last week. Will investigate tomorrow.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Something started knocking in my Helm coil today. Feels like the spring is broken and makes some clunk when compressing it at around half travel. Weird, it was working great the last time I rode it last week. Will investigate tomorrow.
I had the same. Could be that riding bikepark/DH was too much though it shouldn't be.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I'd be surprised since it's a fork :), but it might be the spring bending and hitting the inside wall of the stanchion indeed. It's just that I have never heard that before, I'll open it up later.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fox 40 used to clang like that. There was a little piece of rubber on the spring, which sometimes slid to the bottom. Sliding it back to the middle of the spring would fix it for a while.

But those were pretty long springs..