Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Fox 40 used to clang like that. There was a little piece of rubber on the spring, which sometimes slid to the bottom. Sliding it back to the middle of the spring would fix it for a while.

But those were pretty long springs..
Yep that ended up being the shrink wrap pieces had made their way to the top (?!) of the spring. I turned them back down into place and shunk them again with heat and the fork is back to its silentness. :headbang:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
4th Ride on the wheels and destroyed the Raceface ARC30 that came stock on the bike today. :oops:
I was running 25psi with a Vee Attack HPL and a cushcore pro, but a 2ft drop onto a small stump at 20km's was apparently too much.
flat spotted the rim, buckled both sidewalls and (WTF!!!) put a dent into the middle of the channel in the rim bed...... at low speed/small drop with a cushcore pro.
:close::close::close::close::butcher:

Ah well, once I got back out of the Rotorua forest I dropped into see the guys at Wideopen to say hi as I'd not seen them since I sold the shop, and thankfully they sorted me out with new rim, Stans beefiest rim.... Love Wideopen they rock!
I'll have to build it up when I get home, going to be too busy up here with work to do anything until I return to Wellington.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
4th Ride on the wheels and destroyed the Raceface ARC30 that came stock on the bike today. :oops:
I was running 25psi with a Vee Attack HPL and a cushcore pro, but a 2ft drop onto a small stump at 20km's was apparently too much.
flat spotted the rim, buckled both sidewalls and (WTF!!!) put a dent into the middle of the channel in the rim bed...... at low speed/small drop with a cushcore pro.
:close::close::close::close::butcher:

Ah well, once I got back out of the Rotorua forest I dropped into see the guys at Wideopen to say hi as I'd not seen them since I sold the shop, and thankfully they sorted me out with new rim, Stans beefiest rim.... Love Wideopen they rock!
I'll have to build it up when I get home, going to be too busy up here with work to do anything until I return to Wellington.
Same same. I went through a few Raceface rims and gave up. The rimbeads would fold over like tacos and would flatspot.

Switched to a Tairen rim after those and it took the abuse, had gouges from a few rocks but never folded a bead over or dented. It did develop a wobble big enough to not be fixable though.

Now on DT Swiss EX511's and realize I should have just got these all a long. Its only been one summer so far, but its still straight and no dents. Thats after a trip to BC and one to Bromont, where I hit a rock hard enough to blow 3 holes in it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
First ride on my Element on Sunday. Left hander with a big compression just before it...

Stoopid WTB ST rims are stooooopid.
1000002287-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
First ride on my Element on Sunday. Left hander with a big compression just before it...

Stoopid WTB ST rims are stooooopid.
Putting carbon aside, for whatever reason, it is hard to choose something else than DT. I have tried Newmen something sl 25 on my trail bike with 28 light gauge spokes. I haven't dent them but I needed to retension the rear wheel too often for my liking. Maybe more sturdier spokes would have helped?
Now I have the same build as on my park bike: ex471 and 32 spokes.
I don't feel like I need wider rims maybe because I don't use so wide tyre? I stay at 2.4 with 27.5 psi for my 75 to 80 kg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Putting carbon aside, for whatever reason, it is hard to choose something else than DT. I have tried Newmen something sl 25 on my trail bike with 28 light gauge spokes. I haven't dent them but I needed to retension the rear wheel too often for my liking. Maybe more sturdier spokes would have helped?
Now I have the same build as on my park bike: ex471 and 32 spokes.
I don't feel like I need wider rims maybe because I don't use so wide tyre? I stay at 2.4 with 27.5 psi for my 75 to 80 kg
Yeah, I'm puzzling right now with what to substitute them. Leaning into DT XM421 or 481 for the front wheel. I weigh even less and ran 1.7 bar in the Forecaster in the pic, but also only 28 spokes and these BS rims obviously were a bit on the soft side.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Yeah, I'm puzzling right now with what to substitute them. Leaning into DT XM421 or 481 for the front wheel. I weigh even less and ran 1.7 bar in the Forecaster in the pic, but also only 28 spokes and these BS rims obviously were a bit on the soft side.
I run an xm481 at the front on my park bike. :D it might be on the light side and it might not hold very long...

On the trail bike I have a fancy Duke something with offset drilling as a front rim and little less than 30mm internal width. Same here, never more than 2.4 tire and 21 or 22 psi, that's 1.5bar. I don't know why but psi for tire pressure is more natural for me than bar. I don't know why!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Those are crabon rims, aren't they?
Nope, aluminium
DUKE Crazy Star 6TERS Front Rim 29"
French people on that forum I read seem to like them. But Duke is a french brand so they might be biased :phone:
Check some German/Austrian forum before committing would be my advice.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
A lifetime of Raceface parts?
Erm... No thanks!
i find their atlas pedals to be the best things i've tried since my original kona wah wahs. and can't complain about my atlas stem either. but that's all i use from them. well, i did happily run sixc crabon bars for years too until kidwoo convinced me i was going to die...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not in NZ, and as mentioned above, that would be a waste of a wheel build.
Also while I'm not a bike shop owner anymore with concerns about my reputation. I still refuse to sell useless shit to people.
Probably why I sucked at making mega bucks as a business owner, ethics kept getting in my way.
Damn, I read that as "I still refuse to sell shit to useless people."

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF If your main aim is to pedal grind them roxx. switch to composite pedals. and remove all pins from one side.