Quantcast

what headset does every 1 use for the DH and huck bikes

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have both King and FSA Pig DH Pro headsets. The PIG headset is fine I think. It's not all that cheap I think. Most places want about $50 for the sealed bearing unit and like $30 I think for the loose ball bearing one. I have no issues with the Pig DH pro headset.

Some of the new headsets that recess further in the headtube are the ones that you'll be looking for. King, FSA, and I believe Race Face all have deep insertation cup headsets. Steelset by King is probably the nicest one out. Do some searches though on the deep cup headsets. There are some pro's/con's to them. I know some board memebers have had problems removing the cups so it might be permenent.

Good luck! I don't think you can really go wrong, they are all very strong Headsets. Also think about using a Azonic Headlock or similar instead of the star flanged nut. It's easier to adjust and is just a little added security to know everything is "tight"

laxincubus311

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
East cost
im just worried about ovalizing my headtube on my new chumba f4, i have a chris king nothreadset right now, and ill be running a shiver and im 220 pounds, that do you guys think

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After spending 3 hours trying to remove a lower (that was JUST the lower) cup on a King steelset, I will never use them. I guess if you NEVER intend on removing it, then the steelset is the headset for you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
used a pig, using cane creeks right now (XXc and C2). I'll probably use cane creeks for a long time to come, when new sealed cart bearings cost 7 bucks each (I decided I was going to put some in now) and it runs for 4+ years on one set (i just feel it's time), it's hard to ever justify the cost of a CK. If you work out the price over 10 years, CKs still come out a lot more expensive. I've never really had problems with headsets wearing out, I think that when installing a $115 CK headset, extra care is done to get it in there just right with the proper tools and stuff, but bearings are bearings and if CKs were really hands-down better, they'd be making a lot more than headsets.

CK rear hubs on the other hand...big big big difference between say a shimano XT, 200 grams lighter, pawls and engagement, etc...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a shiver DC, Intense M1, and with gear I push the 240lbs barrier. I had no fear or anything using the PIG DH Pro. Not the cheasy loose ball bearing one. Get the sealed cartridge one.

I'd have gotten a king but when it comes down to it, the regular King's don't insert all that far (atleast I think?). I didn't want to drop $100 on a headset. IF I had to I would have but thank god I didn't.

Again though I just don't like the star nuts. I'd definately go with a headset lock of some sort. Just added security.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by laxincubus311
spunger i agree, it just doesnt seem like they go in enough
It went in far enough to hold in my WB2.0 on my Karp, in far enough for my RFX with a Shiver, Super T, and Z150. It doesnt matter if you dont think it looks like it goes in far enough or isnt strong enough. Its a proven fact that it is strong enough and goes in far enough. Im 210lbs btw. It will be the last headset you buy for the next 10 years or more. Worth every penny.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
2 $20 fsa pigs....never had to do anything to them. I'm sure the pro's even better....

and I'm 200, probably 215 fully equipped and ride a bighit comp w/03 monsta t

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by Mallet
Chris King of course.
Is there anything else???????
Chris King all the way... I know they are expensive, but what is your frame worth.

The bitter taste of poor quality lasts longer than the sweet smell of a low price.