Quantcast

what headset does every 1 use for the DH and huck bikes

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Chris King all the way... I know they are expensive, but what is your frame worth.

The bitter taste of poor quality lasts longer than the sweet smell of a low price.
Again, they are just bearings, and bearings can be speced at any quality you like. I am up to about 47 bucks for my Cane Creek C2 that I just put new bearings in (40 for headset, 7 for bearings), and I got it back in 1999 or so, so after 4+ years I put new bearings in (cause I felt it was time)...do you think I'll even approach the cost of a CK (they go through bearings too if you didn't know)...Even if I buy bearings for the next 5 years, it will still be a total outlay of only 75 bucks, for 10 years. Headsets, any kind, don't need "ajustments". I don't "touch" my headset after I put it on either, I install it right, and unless there is an act of god, it's going to run for a very long time.

CK headsets=highway robbery, there is nothing about them that is better than anything else. Bearings? no, cups? no, its a CNC machine-no big mystery there, what then? 10 year warrenty? you still end up paying a lot more money. I could buy brand new $40 headsets every 3.33 years and still come up with the same dollar amount, not to mention that I'd probably have one left over that I haven't even touched yet. I've never heard a good reason to buy a CK headset, ever. Buy a CK rear hub and drop ~200 grams, hey I would be up for that no doubt! (if I had the $$$, but it is worth it), but for the headset? I've never heard a good reason.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by Jm_
Again, they are just bearings, and bearings can be speced at any quality you like. I am up to about 47 bucks for my Cane Creek C2 that I just put new bearings in (40 for headset, 7 for bearings), and I got it back in 1999 or so, so after 4+ years I put new bearings in (cause I felt it was time)...do you think I'll even approach the cost of a CK (they go through bearings too if you didn't know)...Even if I buy bearings for the next 5 years, it will still be a total outlay of only 75 bucks, for 10 years. Headsets, any kind, don't need "ajustments". I don't "touch" my headset after I put it on either, I install it right, and unless there is an act of god, it's going to run for a very long time.

CK headsets=highway robbery, there is nothing about them that is better than anything else. Bearings? no, cups? no, its a CNC machine-no big mystery there, what then? 10 year warrenty? you still end up paying a lot more money. I could buy brand new $40 headsets every 3.33 years and still come up with the same dollar amount, not to mention that I'd probably have one left over that I haven't even touched yet. I've never heard a good reason to buy a CK headset, ever. Buy a CK rear hub and drop ~200 grams, hey I would be up for that no doubt! (if I had the $$$, but it is worth it), but for the headset? I've never heard a good reason.
I think the best reason other than them having a reputation for lasting a while(mind you I own an FSA Pig:p) is that you get the bling of being able to say "I ride a chris king bitch!"