Quantcast

what helmet do you use with your neck brace?

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
i just got my leatt brace and i'm tinkering with the set up
i tried it with both a mtb specialized deviant helmet and a MX fox tracer helmet but they both seem to limit my movement when i recline my head back... like when you're standing really low on your bike

so.. what helmet do you use with your neck brace without feeling restricted?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have a Troy Lee SE2 that I use most of the time. I also have a Fox Pro Pilot that I wear in the mud.

I don't have any issues with looking up as long as the rear support on the Leatt is adjusted down to the proper location for DH. Did you adjust it yet? You might need to take the cover off or loosen it to get the full range of adjustment.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
yeah i pushed the rear end all the way down, but it still feels a bit limiting... well, maybe i should just try it on the field before worrying too much

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
do you think standard MTB helmets fit better than MX helmets?

What do you mean by fit better?

I think that the Troy Lee SE2 fits my head better than any other helmet that I ahve tried. Each person's head is different so you need to find one that fits you good. The thing I like about moto helmets better is that they don't pull up in the front as much since the chin strap seems to be in a better location than many DH helmets. The cheek pads in MX hemlets also seem to be more substrantial and keep the helmet tight. I haven't tried the newer DH helmets in the past year or so.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
isnt the thing suppose to limit your neck from moving back...
so it cant get clapped out when u wreck?
or is it limiting so much you cant see enough?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
isnt the thing suppose to limit your neck from moving back...
so it cant get clapped out when u wreck?
or is it limiting so much you cant see enough?
Once I adjusted mine, I didn't have any problems with looking ahead while riding DH.

For moto, I run it adjusted up as far as possible. Really, you should make it limit movement as much as possible without interfering with riding. I am sure the Leatt rep could answer specific questions with regards to setup the best.