Quantcast

What hub for SS DJ mtn bike?

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I'm looking to pick up a nice steel dirt jump mountain frame. I would like to run it single speed. What are my hub options? Do bmx hubs fit?, I thought they were a different spacing. I most likely won't be running disc brakes.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey dude, welcome to the SS club!! (oh by the way, ignore Drunken_Ninja, if he gives you hell about SSing). Now on to your questions....

1) BMX hubs WILL NOT fit. I believe they have a 110mm rear spacing whereas MTB frames have a 135mm rear spacing.

2) Depends what kind of cog you want to run in the back. If you want to run a freewheel, then you can choose from hubs made by Planet X, DMR, Paul Components, Phil Wood, Spot, and Surly. If you want to run a cassette cog (like your regular MTB rear cogset, except just one of them), then you can use a regular MTB hub and use cassette spacers, or you can choose from Chris King (which needs it's own dedicated cog), Axiom, Novatec, and I'm probably missing a few manufacturers in there.

I've done a lot of research with regards to turning a regular MTB bike into a single speed, so if you have any questions, just ask on here, or PM me.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I'll most likely run a freewheel, it just seems the easiest. What I'm wondering is the durability of some of these hubs.

Its seems the Planet X is designed for DJ, so I'm not worried about that.

Its just that I can get a Spot or Surly easier and cheaper(QBP), so I'm wondering how well these will hold up.

So far my parts spec looks like this. .243 racing frame, Marzocchi DJ1 or 2, Profile DJ Cranks, Atom Lab Trailpimps, etc.. I don't want to build up a super burly bike and have a rear hub explode on me.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Well, take this advice with a grain of salt, because I haven't ridden either hub.

However, I have heard good things about both hubs being used for DJ purposes. Of course, just like all other parts, it depends on a couple things: how heavy you are, how much finesse you ride with, and how big you go.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
I realize you're not looking for a disc hub, but I run the PX SS disc hub and I have nothing bad to say about it, it runs perfectly smooth and everything has stayed nice and tight for the 6 months of hard riding I've put in on it so far. It is a SS cassette hub which is nice for mtb's because they aren't designed soley for SS use so nice straight chain lines sometimes take a little teaking, which can be done using the ss cassette hubs but just switching the rear cog around with the spacers. A freewheel hub has only one location. THe other advantage to cassette is that its simpler to swap rear cogs if you want/need to run a bigger or smaller tooth cog for chain tension purposes or pedaling ease.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
the PX cassette style hub is awesome. really kicks ass.

freewheel hubs are pretty simple, so anyone will work pretty well.

but really, the casstte PX one is great, and has disc adapters if you want it.

Moto

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
Davis, CA
I'm using the woodman extrem hub. Its cassette, but I just run spacres and one cog. The nice thing is that its a 15mm bolt on axle with 10mm flats, so it'll fit in a regular frame. here's a pic: