Quantcast

what hub

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I'm just thinking about building a 24" wheelset for my mob frame, currently I have a halo sas wheelset. It's a little on the heavy side to my liking, so I'm thinking of running rhyno lite xl's or atomlab pimplite or gi's. I have 20 mm in the front and 135x10 in the back. I do have singlespeed on the back, but think that i want to keep the gearing option.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
profiles are amazing rear hubs, i have one on my DH bike and i would have gotten one on my hardtail if i had the cash. hopes are also nice, and cheaper.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm running a profile 6 speed. Hadley has a similar hub out. Allows you to run a few gears without giving up a dishless wheel. Nice and strong, nothing you don't need. I love it.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I have had good results with King, Phil Wood, Hope, Profile.

For strength, the Profiles seem to be tops (I have them on 2 bikes). Like w00dy said, their 6 speed hub is the treats as you can build the wheel with no dish, SS or w/ some gears.

For a little less weight and money, the Hope Pro II's are nice but probably not as strong as Profiles. Their SS hub can run a few gears as well and their 20mm hub can also be converted to 9mm QR.

I would say for a Mob, if you are not going SS, a 3-6 speed setup would be plenty. Get some Endless or Surly cogs and friction thumb shifter. No reason to run a 9 speed setup on that bike.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Right now on my Mob iv'e got a AtomLab which iv'e had good luck with but on my dh bike i got a DT Swiss 440. But yeah Profile, there nice chances are im gonna get one for my Mob. Go with it

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
For strength, the Profiles seem to be tops (I have them on 2 bikes). Like w00dy said, their 6 speed hub is the treats as you can build the wheel with no dish, SS or w/ some gears.

For a little less weight and money, the Hope Pro II's are nice but probably not as strong as Profiles. Their SS hub can run a few gears as well and their 20mm hub can also be converted to 9mm QR.

I would say for a Mob, if you are not going SS, a 3-6 speed setup would be plenty. Get some Endless or Surly cogs and friction thumb shifter. No reason to run a 9 speed setup on that bike.
If I were to race slalom and 4x, I would need gears right? They dont allow you to have 24's, singlespeed, and u have to have front suspension and a frontbrake also? Just trying to see what it would be liked to make my bike raceable. What is bulding the wheel with no dish? What is a friction thumb shifter?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
If I were to race slalom and 4x, I would need gears right? They dont allow you to have 24's, singlespeed, and u have to have front suspension and a frontbrake also? Just trying to see what it would be liked to make my bike raceable. What is bulding the wheel with no dish? What is a friction thumb shifter?
I am not sure what the rules are for slalom and 4x. And it probably varies by sanction and event.

At any rate, what are you looking to do with the MOB? Ride street and park, run trails (DJ's), all around use? From what I've read they are nice frames and work well with the right setup. That being said, I would be wary of putting 24" wheels on one. That 12.25" BB height would drop to a pretty low level. Also, I believe that if you want to go 24"s go w/ a 24" specific frame from USB, Tonic, Doberman, or Nemesis. You'll get a shorter CS length and geometry that is designed around that wheel as well as a BB at the proper height.

The MOB's I've seen built up w/ 26" wheel look great and I would imagine are plenty tossable.

I've only done one race on DS and was riding a BMW Park w/ 24" front and rear wheels. It had a v-brake in the back, disc up front and an 80mm fork. I would have much prefered 26" wheels as the course was on the rough side, also discs front and rear and a inch or 2 more (100-120mm) fork would have been a lot better. Good tires w/ some knobbies too.

Wheel dish and friction shifting? Most bicycle terms (if not all) with good definitions are covered by this guy: http://sheldonbrown.com/