Quantcast

What I.H. is this, Type 6?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
punkassean said:
That's the MKIII Team, you can see it on Pinkbike in full detail thanks to Luc.
It looks like the seat tube is machined/bridged like a Sunday. That would've been my guess.

toby

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
in the trees said:
It looks like the seat tube is machined/bridged like a Sunday. That would've been my guess.

toby

It looks like it MAY be machined but I can't tell for sure. I can tell you this, the brace the connects the seat tube the top tube is different than the Sunday. The rear triangle is definitely not from a Sunday, notice the chainstays are way too small and don't appear to have the rectangle shape or through axle. Also look at the lower link, you can see where it attaches to the frame outside the seat tube. The lower link is hidden in the machined area of the seat tube/BB junction on the Sunday.

No it ain't no Sunday unless it the custom-one off that was built for Sea Otter (Sam Hill's I think).

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
What's the deal with the Type 6? What's its designated use (once it is available)? Does 'Type 6" hint at 6" travle or just a model name designation? You've got me curious. More info (or rumors), please.

toby

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
It is a prototype 6 inch dh race bike for Sam Hill. It got out of production late and now just sits in Weagles garage. It has the maxle rear axle system and is realy light. They are toying with the idea of making but are not really giving it much thought.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That dude pretty much has it right. There are 3 of them in the world, this particular bike was supposed to debut at Sea Otter last year, but thanks to late delivery showed up about 3 weeks late. Rock Shox built a custom 6" Air boxxer for it that went to another team's rider after the bike didn't show. Too bad but what do you do, right? Sam and I were bummed.

The bike is designed to have all fo the same ergonomics as the Sunday, just less travel, lighter and lower. With the stock 06 Boxxer ride on there it weighs 34.5 lbs. With that Air Boxxer and full race kit, I'm thinking high 32s is attainable.

You will see more on this bike in the future, magazines and riders were all over it. Based on the strong response, this bike may actually have a production future I am told. I think it all depends on how many more e-mails and calls Iron Horse gets on it. Not really my area though, I'm just speculating.

Dave

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
6" bikes with DH geometry rule. While they don't plow through boulders too well, they fly over or bounce over them really well. And in the tight stuff, they are a lot quicker, especially when you need to pedal. For riders with a BMX backgroung, they're right on the money. It sounds a lot like a long Enduro SX Trail with a low axle to crown 6" fork. Or kinda like a lower and slacker Nomad. Just stronger and stiffer, hopefully.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bikenweed said:
6" bikes with DH geometry rule. While they don't plow through boulders too well, they fly over or bounce over them really well. And in the tight stuff, they are a lot quicker, especially when you need to pedal. For riders with a BMX backgroung, they're right on the money. It sounds a lot like a long Enduro SX Trail with a low axle to crown 6" fork. Or kinda like a lower and slacker Nomad. Just stronger and stiffer, hopefully.
Yea, I just got an Enduro SX trail and love it so far. It descends like a downhill bike but more funnerer. You just pop over stuff instead of plowing through it.

Can still climb the thing pretty good too. The sx is still a bit too heavy though. And the 66 fork is way too tall (changing for '06!).

If I could get the weight down to ~33 pounds, lower fork (i.e. lower bike) it would be some crazy fun good times.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
If it's front derailleur compatible that'd be the perfect Do-everything bike for where I live. We have tons of DH trails but you have to climb to get to them, so a bike that have DH geo but can still be climbed....
:drool:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
it's not f der compatable,but the real type 6, which is due out mid summer 06, is.It will most likely be a all mtn/light fr type bike i think. They had a proto of that there too.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
bizutch said:
I've seen you ride bro...6 inches is not enough travel to help your style.... :love: :love: :nuts:
damn! ouch! :eviltongu even if it looks cool? you know kliquor taught me that with his 90 flashy helmets and matching attire.

I got a gut to drag me down the hill now too so watch out! :nuts:

I was gonna use it as a trail bike.