Quantcast

What if Lance Armstrong just happend to show up to your weekend race?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:eek:

Lance Armstrong surprisingly enters Ojai race, places 15th
Associated Press | 11 Apr

OJAI, Calif. - Word spread quickly that Tour de France champ Lance Armstrong was a surprise entry in the Lemire Memorial Grand Prix cycling race, joining stunned competitors at the starting line just minutes before it began.

"Do you see him?" one man asked.

"Is that him?" asked a teenage girl clutching a camera.

And there he was on Sunday afternoon. Wearing a light blue and white jersey and a yellow "Livestrong" bracelet, the six-time Tour de France champion took his place with others for the 90-minute criterium race through rural Ventura County.

The crowd roared as announcer Dave Towle welcomed Armstrong - Racer No. 120.

"I've been lining up at races since I was a kid, and I still get that nervous feeling in my stomach," Armstrong told Towle. "I just love it. It's great to be here."

It is extremely rare for Armstrong to race in the United States.

"He has probably done only a handful in the last five years," Armstrong friend Dave Lettieri said. "Showing up at a non-pure professional race is very, very rare for Lance or anybody of that caliber because of the risk of crashing or injury."

Armstrong telephoned Lettieri after arriving in Los Angeles on Saturday and asked if there were any races in the area.

"I said, 'I have the perfect race for you in Ojai,'" said Lettieri, who put Armstrong's representatives in touch with Ojai race organizer Bob Fisher to talk about the possibility of Armstrong entering the event.

They asked if there would be things for Armstrong's children and his rocker girlfriend Sheryl Crow to do during the race. There's a Jolly Jump and climbing wall, Fisher said.

The last question posed to Fisher was how much it would cost to enter.

"I told them we would cover it," Fisher said, learning at about 9 p.m. Saturday that Armstrong was in.

"We tried to keep it hush-hush, but it's hard when it's something like that," Fisher said. "People found out."

Joan Welborn got Armstrong's autograph before the race began.

"This is the best day of my life. That is something that I can take with me to my deathbed," the Ojai resident said. "My friends go to France to watch him race in the Tour, and I didn't even have to leave Ojai."

Armstrong - who placed 15th and donated his $350 in winnings to the Garrett Lemire Memorial Foundation - was about to leave in his black BWM when he shook the hand of another familiar face: Recently retired NBC-TV News anchor Tom Brokaw, who happened to be in town and watched the race.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
cool....I heard about that race when I stayed in Ojai back in Feb. (Tdog & his GF live there)

maybe ECHO remembers this (I am bad w/names) Bob Fisher is he the dude that owns the bike shop out there?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
T-dog was showing us some of the hills they had on that course. Looked pretty tough. I doubt he wanted to put a winning effort in there.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
When Hincapie lived in Charlotte back in the 90's, George would show up to a Tuesday night crit at a business park if he was in town. More than once Lance showed up with him. This is of course was pre cancer and multiple TdF wins.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
thats a kool story and all, and its really kool that he competed with regular people that arent as supported as he is.

but i would still laugh. and lol he got 15th and he won the tour lol thats really funny. sorry i just dont like the guy but thats really kool that he was competing with normal people

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
there are 14 people (the ones who came ahead of him) that are absolutely ****ting themselves right now.. they beat lance armstrong.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ito said:

Lance appears to be carrying a bit of extra weight, no?

The Ito
From what I understand, the pros do weights all winter to build as much muscle mass as possible, because they lose boatloads of weight when they start doing lots of miles to build up for the big races.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's amazing that they can get the bikes light enough to use an SRM during the races. It must be weird to have to put on a heavy seat and a powermeter so you can make the bike heavy enough for it to be legal.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn True said:
Breathe in, count to ten. Exhale. Repeat to yourself, "This is an internet message board and none of this is important."
Continue as needed.
Ha. You really don't know anything about me...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
me89 said:
thats a kool story and all, and its really kool that he competed with regular people that arent as supported as he is.

but i would still laugh. and lol he got 15th and he won the tour lol thats really funny. sorry i just dont like the guy but thats really kool that he was competing with normal people
News Flash!

It's not exactly great PR for a big pro to show up at a local race and stomp the hell out of everyone. He likely just sat in and enjoyed the ride.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Well, the report in from T-dog is that he heard that Lance rode over from Santa Barbara, then joined the race. T-dog guesses he was cruising, easily staying in the lead group, but not getting involved in the sprint. I think it is cool that he never once said he wasn't trying, and also had nothing but praise for the local boys. I was gonna go over and watch the action, but went for a ride instead. What a damn fool I am. Lance RULES.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I think I would crap myself.

Rider 1 : " how do you think you will do today?"

Rider 2:" Pretty well, It's not like i'm racing lance armstr.......oh crap...."