Quantcast

What if the South had won the Civil War..???

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I watched it just a few days ago. It was funny in a biting sort of way. I consider myself to be a CW nerd and I enjoyed it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
You mean like BMW's doing? :rofl:
Yep, BMW's are like Honda Civics where I live.
Everybody drives them. I am 20 minutes from the big BMW plant and all their employees lease them for dirt cheap.
My brother in law actually has a job there doing final test drives of their cars around a track.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
read a great story proposing what would've happened if the South had won the war and demanded reparations from the North (staying 2 separate countries). The South prospers and becomes the economic powerhouse of the new millenium, while the North slides into 3rd world status. The "what if" question is always interesting...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
Yep, BMW's are like Honda Civics where I live.
Everybody drives them. I am 20 minutes from the big BMW plant and all their employees lease them for dirt cheap.
My brother in law actually has a job there doing final test drives of their cars around a track.
It's funny - 'cause over in Europe BMWs and Audis are kind of like Ford and Chevy here...........

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Its funny: my video store has it listed on their chalkboard:

CSI: Confederate States of America

I was like, is that another spinoff?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
In general, Southerners do not eat chitlins.
I have only experienced African Americans eating chitlins.
Somebody else may school me on the history of this,
but I think it was because slaves were only given what was considered the disgusting parts of the pig, like intestines etc...
and over time, they developed a taste for it, and some still eat it today.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jeremy R said:
In general, Southerners do not eat chitlins.
I have only experienced African Americans eating chitlins.
Somebody else may school me on the history of this,
but I think it was because slaves were only given what was considered the disgusting parts of the pig, like intestines etc...
and over time, they developed a taste for it, and some still eat it today.
You are correct, sir. It is a dish most often enjoyed by black folk and your historical reasoning was also on target. Most white folk don't eat them but I have known some who will. My own father, a Tampa/St. Pete native, ate them every now and again and even tried to get me and my brother to try them AND scrapple(fried pig snout), too. He got no takers but seemed to enjoy the look of revulsion on our faces as we watched him down a pile. I have noticed this same phenomenon among all manner of varied races, colors & creeds. People just seem to enjoy making others uncomfortable by eating odd or unusual foods, especially in public where doing so attracts curious attention.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
N8 said:
The locals here say, "..the war ain't over yet."
:hot:
The one most familiar to me is "Save yo Confederate Money, boys, 'cause the South's gonna rise again."

I have several thousand dollars worth of confederate money in various denominations...including those <$1, e.g. $0.25 paper money.*

*[historical aside] Due to a severe wartime shortage of metal, the CSA issued paper notes for what now is coin change. The same thing happened during other wars where cheap metals were used for coins as a substitute for the strategic ones used previously, e.g. copper in pennies was replaced with a crap metal amalgam.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
llkoolkeg said:
You are correct, sir. It is a dish most often enjoyed by black folk and your historical reasoning was also on target. Most white folk don't eat them but I have known some who will. My own father, a Tampa/St. Pete native, ate them every now and again and even tried to get me and my brother to try them AND scrapple(fried pig snout), too. He got no takers but seemed to enjoy the look of revulsion on our faces as we watched him down a pile. I have noticed this same phenomenon among all manner of varied races, colors & creeds. People just seem to enjoy making others uncomfortable by eating odd or unusual foods, especially in public where doing so attracts curious attention.
Yep, that's true.
No matter what culture, people always try to serve you disgusting stuff as a kid. I remember rednecks making squirrel stew, turtle stew, froglegs etc....:dead:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Hey, New Orleans was in the CSA, and damn! if there's anywhere in America with better food, it's only 'cuz it's transplanted from somewhere else!

(although California does get the nod for best fusion cuisine...thanks, Wolfgang)