Quantcast

What if you...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Spam spammers? I have recently started getting all of the "I want your car" and "A rich relative you dont know has died, send us some money and we will send you your inheritance..." crap, thanks to my email addy being listed on a site (to sell my truck.) What if I started forwarding all the messages I get to various other spammers, just to be annoying? Any viral danger? I am not worried about the Nigerian Mafia finding me, so what do you all think?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, it works well for those Nigerian scams (since they need to provide valid contact information - their scam is based of being able to talk to them) but often the return address for spammers is spoofed, so make sure you're not sending off spam emails to some other poor guy who had his return address spoofed and is now receiving hate mail by the truckload.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stevew said:
I don't get spam for some reason.
I don't get spam on one of my accounts, and get only a couple pieces on my Hotmail account. I get an absolutely astounding quantity of spam on my Yahoo account, though, and have never given that address to a single person (just registered it because I wanted it). 100+ pieces per day.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
binary visions said:
I don't get spam on one of my accounts, and get only a couple pieces on my Hotmail account. I get an absolutely astounding quantity of spam on my Yahoo account, though, and have never given that address to a single person (just registered it because I wanted it). 100+ pieces per day.
I just don't use Outlook Express or Hotmail anymore.

I never get it on Yahoo or Gmail.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I don't mess with SPAM too much. In the end they can probably screw you more than you can screw them.

However, anytime I get junk mail with a postage paid envelope, I'm dropping it in the mail with as much stuff as I can fit in it.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
binary visions said:
I too get over 100+ spam emails a day on my yahoo account, but then again that email adress is what I use on all of the MTB and 4x4 forums to sell stuff

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I use spam subtract. It real basic and simple, but it keeps the crap from actually getting into Outlook.

If you go to certian sites, there is some software that will do just that. I believe there called e-mail bombs.

Thats the extent of my knowlege of the proactive portioon of spam.