Quantcast

What is a Good S.S. Gear Ratio?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I want to run my hardtail singlespeed, and was wondering what a good ratio is. My friend runs a 32/16, and that feels a tiny bit too low for me. My choices for rear cog are 16 and 18 tooth, and my choices for front chainring are 30, 33, 36 and 39 tooth. Also, would I be able to run a fatty BMX chain with a mtb rear cog and a BMX front chainring?

-Chris

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yes, you can run pretty much whatever chain you want. second, you already said you want a little higher (i think) ratio than 2:1. so go try ratios out and figure out what you want. the math isn't difficult.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
FR4life. said:
I want to run my hardtail singlespeed, and was wondering what a good ratio is. My friend runs a 32/16, and that feels a tiny bit too low for me. My choices for rear cog are 16 and 18 tooth, and my choices for front chainring are 30, 33, 36 and 39 tooth. Also, would I be able to run a fatty BMX chain with a mtb rear cog and a BMX front chainring?

-Chris
i like 32x16, it works well. I dont think a bmx front chain ring with mount on mtb cranks, as for the rear cog, just take your normal one apart, put the single ring in the middle and use spacers on either side of it

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
FR4life. said:
Will a BMX cassette cog fit on a MTB hub?
The shimano bmx cogs will work with a mtb hub. They have the same spline pattern.

Shimano BMX cog, Chris King cog, Shimano Hyperglide cassette cog

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
i ran a 36-18 and then a 36-16 on a 24" rear wheel, and the 16 felt good at a bmx track, but the 18 was a little easier on the (urban) hills. for off road, id go a bit lower.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Does Shimano Only make 3/32" tooth cogs? or do they come in 1/8" and 3/16" too? because I seem to break alot of 3/32" chains and would prefer to run a fatty BMX chain such as a 3/16"

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
It really depends on the application... my friend runs a 46-18 on his cross bike, while I run a 32-19 on my mountain bike. 2:1 is good for dirt jumps, urban, or trails that are smooth rolling and only moderately steep climbs. My trail rides are muddy, rooty, slickity, technical, steep, and grinding. And my friends cant keep up with their geared bikes.

Yes , a shimano BMX (1/8") 'freehub' cog will fit a shimano compatible mt bike freehub, just need to add spacers.

Yes, you can put a BMX (1/8") chainring on a mt bike crank, as long as the bolt pattern is the same. 110mm is a common bolt pattern for both. If your running compact drive (94mm) you may have trouble finding one.

Yes, Shimano, along with just about any other chain manufacturer, makes BMX (1/8") chains.

[edit] 2:1 gearing ratio is a good place to start. Don't judge your gear until you've ridden the trails you planto ride. It may feel like samll gear on the fire roads, but in tight and tech single track, that small gear can start to feel big. I run a 34/18, just a hair smaller than 2:1.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
PsychO!1 said:
Yes , a shimano BMX (1/8") 'freehub' cog will fit a shimano compatible mt bike freehub, just need to add spacers.

Yes, you can put a BMX (1/8") chainring on a mt bike crank, as long as the bolt pattern is the same. 110mm is a common bolt pattern for both. If your running compact drive (94mm) you may have trouble finding one.

Yes, Shimano, along with just about any other chain manufacturer, makes BMX (1/8") chains.

[edit] 2:1 gearing ratio is a good place to start. Don't judge your gear until you've ridden the trails you planto ride. It may feel like samll gear on the fire roads, but in tight and tech single track, that small gear can start to feel big. I run a 34/18, just a hair smaller than 2:1.
Could you link me to a place that sells the shimano 1/8" rear cogs? Im having trouble finding them.

Thanks,
-Chris

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My bike is set up 34:18 - we'll see how it goes with this configuration once the snow melts.

I decided on this mainly because I had a nice Spot SS 34T chainring that I wanted to take advantage of. That and I'll probably also be riding the SS on pavement a bit too.