Quantcast

what is all this fuss about bike weight savings???

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Isn't GEM like 6' 8" and 240LBS? I am 210 and feel sketch on my hoops now. 823's here I come.....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Isn't GEM like 6' 8" and 240LBS? I am 210 and feel sketch on my hoops now. 823's here I come.....
Most riders are smaller than the empire state building ;) Also I'm pretty sure with a few small changes and a 36.5lb built he would have no issues on my current ride.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
XC tubes and Sixc cranks
200lb dude here. I run whatever XC tubes are the cheapest on my DH bike. Haven't noticed the difference in number of flats vs other tubes.

I'd be a little nervous rocking the sixc cranks, but that's because I crash impressively and bend crank arms left and right.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
V10.5 L Solid
Deemax Ultimates Solid
DHF wire 2.5 / DHR2 wire 2.4 Solid
Whatever XC presta tubes I have lying around (one flat in two yrs) meh
Formula R0 Solid
200/180mm Formula rotors 180....alright i guess
Boxxer WC Uggg
Vivid Air Uggg
Thomson DM stem Solid
ProTaper carbon bars ehhh, probably fine
Thomson masterpiece post Solid
Some fancy pants saddle maybe?
11-32 cassette, some fancy SRAM thing sounds suspicious, anything sram is suspicious
Sixc cranks Uggg
MRP G3 Uggg
X0 Der / shifter Uggg
Canfield Ultimates Solid

32.2lb

no unreliable parts anywhere, no weak **** anywhere, zero compromises anywhere.
There are a bunch of compromises on there. Air rear shock, Boxxer WC, smaller rear rotor, cranks and XO drivetrain. But the bike is mostly...okay I suppose.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I'll grant the 8" rotor in the rear for a 200lb rider. That's 32.25lb, up from 32.2.

Every other objection you have seems to be a Ford vs Chevy preference.

Am quite curious to hear what the problem is with the MRP G3!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There are a bunch of compromises on there. Air rear shock, Boxxer WC, smaller rear rotor, cranks and XO drivetrain. But the bike is mostly...okay I suppose.
From the stuff you complain about.

Boxxer WC - New Marzo, Bos and Fox weight around the same. Also yes boxxer wc is solid even if solo air is crap

Vivid air - change it for DB Air - it's a great shock. Performs better than my RC4

Thomson DM stem - it's actually quite heavy. You can go for a chunked stemcrown which is actually lighter and stronger

Protaper carbon bars - you can go with easton. No problems.

Sram casette - their casettes are really good

Though as you point out the bike is mostly good. Worst case scenario you add 1-1.5lbs and the bike is still very light.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I am still waiting to see an exact frame and suspension comparison with heavy and light build timed. With say 4-5 points on the trail. Maybe get the 2 bike build to vary by say 3-4 LBS and see how much faster a variety of riders would be on the bikes.

Everyone claims that it makes such a difference I bet the numbers would prove them wrong on a real DH trail....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I am still waiting to see an exact frame and suspension comparison with heavy and light build timed. With say 4-5 points on the trail. Maybe get the 2 bike build to vary by say 3-4 LBS and see how much faster a variety of riders would be on the bikes.

Everyone claims that it makes such a difference I bet the numbers would prove them wrong on a real DH trail....
The difference will be there. The real question is how big is it and is it worth it. Though in most cases now it's fashionable to underestimate how your bike can influence your time.

Still I'd want to see 2 identical bikes with 4lbs weight difference raced on the same track by lets say 5 different riders. Choose parts that don't loose stiffness when lighter and that could be a nice test.

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Still I'd want to see 2 identical bikes with 4lbs weight difference raced on the same track by lets say 5 different riders. Choose parts that don't loose stiffness when lighter and that could be a nice test.
You could just add ballast. That keeps all of the components identical.

Vivid air - change it for DB Air - it's a great shock. Performs better than my RC4
The Vivid Air is incredible on the V10 frame. I switch the RC4 back on sometimes, and the Vivid Air is clearly better, in my opinion...

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You could just add ballast. That keeps all of the components identical.

The Vivid Air is incredible on the V10 frame. I switch the RC4 back on sometimes, and the Vivid Air is clearly better, in my opinion...
Adding all 4lbs in one place would affect how the bike handles. It would also be probably not very stiff.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
SRAM cassettes are tragic!
unless of course there is some sort of performance gain to be achieved from all those grams you'll save when the individual sprockets bend and snap their teeth!

Tomas, your V-10 is lighter than Minnaars Wchamps build and he's reportedly running single plys..

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
You've got to actually pedal to bend teeth on the cassette. God invented chair lifts and tailgate pads for a reason.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
When You all will finally understand? Having 2-3-4 lbs lighter bike won't make You a fast(er) rider. It's all about Your skills, strength and mindset. Lets say You will drop those 3lbs of the bike. How much faster are You gonna be? 3sec on 3 minute track? It would be awesome, but You are still nowhere near times pro guys are making on 38-40lbs bikes. Why? Answer Yourself.

One more thing, 4lbs distributed through entire bike (handlebar,crank,wheels,suspension etc.) doesn't have the same effect on handling as having it mounted to the top tube -totally different situation (the moto tank example). Same goes to the backpack example, which affects YOUR weight distribution, muscle tension and so on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I strap weight to myself for pull ups and other stuff. I USED to weigh 50-60lbs more. Now strapping just 30lb-40lbs to myself feels crazy, even if it's evenly distributed with a weight-vest. Hard to keep from tipping over at times, etc. It does make a difference, the further from your body, the greater the difference. Remember, bikes don't move in straight lines and each pedal stroke is an acceleration. If it were physically possible to output constantly then you'd have something different, but each pedal stroke is an acceleration, bike accelerates, slows back down, accelerates, slows back down, you may not notice it, but that's why a few lbs can make a difference. If it's truly just a couple, then it may be hard to notice with other things, but it doesn't take too many for that to become noticeable IME.

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
@Troy - Why assume that the goal is to be a faster rider? To me, high performance and light bikes are for fun.

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
bike parts / frame e-lightening is addictive, just like e-ating nice food..

so the bikes get thinner and dudes go fatter..

(me)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

This summer I'm using a V10.5 built to just over 32lb. My team mate is on my old V10.4 with the same fork and brakes and very similar parts but all cheaper and heavier. His is 36.5lb. I built his bike and did all the tuning and suspension setup on it. He's the same height and weight as me so our bikes are identical except for the 4.5lb weight difference and my suspension is a little firmer.

We've never timed sections on the two bikes but we have switched off a lot, even mid-run. The difference isn't drastic and I could comfortably race his bike, basically I did the last 2 years. However, we always both agree that mine feels a little faster and more nimble. You can more easily hit all your lines and it sheds speed entering a turn and accelerating out quicker. You feel fresh a little longer so you can push hard further. It just feels a little nicer and more effortless. This this translates into a little more speed and a little more fun.

Minor when you consider the price differences of our builds but the difference is there and anyone who rode both bikes would choose mine. So there you go, enjoy your 36-39lb DH bike but if circumstances or financial means put a 32lb bike in your reach take it!

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Here's my 32.2lb (Correction: 31.75lb) V10:

It's been going all summer with almost no maintenance. I consider it a burly and durable build. More weight could be dropped from the tires, fork, cassette, derailleur, shifter, and seat (and maybe post) but I'm happy with the performance of these parts.

Frame: V10.5 w/Vivid Air shock (faultless and love the tuning range, always in 10" except for dirtjumps or flowtrail races)
Fork: 2012 888 Evo Ti with prototype ATA air cart (similar to 2009 air cart but with bugs fixed)
Seat: Selle Italia SLR TT (soft, long, and with tall sides for grabbing with thighs)
Bar: Easton Havoc carbon
Stem: ODI
Grips: Titec Pork Rinds w/Hope end caps (comfortable and burly end protection for crashes)
Brakes: Formula The One w/Formula Organic pads & Kettle Cycles 203mm carbon rotors (carbon pads soon)
Shifter: Sram X9 9spd (old gen with bar wrap indicator)
Derailleur: Saint
Cassette: Sram 970 11-28 9spd
Chain: KMC X9SL
Chainring: Raceface Singlering 38T
Guide: MRP G2 carbon
Crank: SixC 165mm
Pedals: XTR Trail (tested back-to-back with M647 and couldn't tell a difference)
Hubs: Frt- Atomlab Pimplite, RR- DT 240s
Spokes: DT Aerolite w/alloy nips
Rims: Light Bicycle DH carbon (430g, 26mm internal width, and only $178ea)
Tires: Minion DHF 2.7" w/Notubes valves and sealant

There you go. For the deep of pocket or the industry connected a full-on 32lb DH bike.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Kettle Cycles 203mm carbon rotors (carbon pads soon)
I've been told they don't provide enough stopping power for DH, maybe for road.

However, another company has shown carbon rotors during Eurobike - Protanium. I've seen the pic on printed German Bike Magazine, but I can't find on the web.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
When You all will finally understand? Having 2-3-4 lbs lighter bike won't make You a fast(er) rider. It's all about Your skills, strength and mindset. Lets say You will drop those 3lbs of the bike. How much faster are You gonna be? 3sec on 3 minute track? It would be awesome, but You are still nowhere near times pro guys are making on 38-40lbs bikes. Why? Answer Yourself.

One more thing, 4lbs distributed through entire bike (handlebar,crank,wheels,suspension etc.) doesn't have the same effect on handling as having it mounted to the top tube -totally different situation (the moto tank example). Same goes to the backpack example, which affects YOUR weight distribution, muscle tension and so on.
You do realize 3s on a 3 minute track is a great amount? Even if the real number is probably smaller. No one here thinks that a lighter bike will make them a pro rider. Just that it may make them faster and their ride more fun.

Though I know it's cool lately to claim it's 100% the rider 0% the ride. Even when it's not true.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well, no... cause, sometimes, more strength at the end of the run means crashing or not due to fatigue.
That's not because you had too much strength but because you got stupid and carried away ;)

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Oh, and Lelandjt, I've been told by one person who ran both that the X0 Trails have more power than the Formula T1s. FWIW. I've never used the T1s myself. Maybe something worth looking into - Amazon has the X0's for super cheap.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

The Fox 40 only dropped 80g from my 2012 888 Evo Air (I previously overstated the bike's weight, it was about 31.75lb). At least now it's a nice round number. Still with the 2.7" DHFs and all full strength DH parts.