Quantcast

What is an "epic ride" to you?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It doesn't matter what distance the ride is - its the events and the trail that make a ride epic. I've done 5 hour rides that were boring as hell, and 25 - 60 minute descents that tested every part of your bike and body and left you relieved to be back on flat ground. My first lap down Mount 7, runs in the pouring rain in Queenstown, even a dusktime run from Garbanzo for an Australian on his first trip to Canada. All not that significant distance wise, but certainly epic. My favourite "epic" ride last year - Top of the World into Ride don't Slide into Creekside pub for beers and burger before slugging a DH bike back along the highway to Whistler.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
It doesn't matter what distance the ride is - its the events and the trail that make a ride epic. I've done 5 hour rides that were boring as hell, and 25 - 60 minute descents that tested every part of your bike and body and left you relieved to be back on flat ground.
This.

I rode an alpine valley down this Col in France last summer. A mix of cow trail, farm road, waist deep water crossings, and "free riding" in the general direction I knew I needed to go. I'd be surprised if it was much more than 8 miles.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
For me, it's starting before the sun comes up and has a combination of the following:

-smiling and screaming like a girl because of hero dirt
-regret going at the half-way
-stupid tired at the end
-no mechanicals
-second wind at the 3/4

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
In case you didn't know, he died a few years back. I used to love seeing his new photos.

Don't think I'd read that Fruita recap before, thanks.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I've decided my next epic ride will be what could be the ultimate loop using the jeep/service roads behind the local schools here. Used a good section of it for my Make-A-Wish race back in 2000, and I've just now (ok, I'm ssslllooowwww) put together a few more sections to it that should add up to about 10-11 miles, lots of sand/rocks, updownupdownupdownrepeated, no resting unless the sections are flat, and after I give it a try, would really enjoy putting on a 8/12/24hr/sundowntosunup event using it.

Any one in the area that wants to give it a try with me?????