Quantcast

What is everyone using for a pack?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I have a nice XC pack from camelback, but it's too small now that I'm starting to carry armor and a full face. I need a bigger one now, one that will carry my FF. I'm thinking of the Dakine Apex, but I hear it may be too big for me. What are you girls using? Does it fit arm and leg armor and a FF?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I ride both XC and DH and have a Camelbak Mule. It doesn't fit a helmet or armour, but I don't ever have a need for a pack to carry that. If I'm at Whistler, the helmet and armour are almost always on, and if I want to lug my DH bike up a local trail, I just tie the armour on my bike and either wear the helmet or put it around my handlebars. Personally (for me), I think a pack that would carry a FF and armour would be way to big and unnecessary.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I won the Dakine Nomad in a late race last season and have used it for one weekend of DH riding. It's a big pack and I would never use it for XC (too big, heavy and hot) but it is fine for DH. It's got all the carry straps for armor but I took most of them off since I never take off my helmet/armor.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I didn't even know they made camelbak's big enough to carry armour. I guess it would be good if you spent a lot of time hike-a-biking up a local trail or something. I'm too lazy for that though. Would rather sit on my butt for 4 hours and drive to Whistler.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I second the camelback blowfish...it's adjustable in size depending on load...I also use the straps on my leg armour to attach them to my frame...the helmet either gets strapped to my pack or rests on my handlebar depending on the climb or what's going on...elbow pads usually stay on...and if I have upper body armour on I velcro it upside down by the belly strap around my waist and attach the arms together...or if I have room in my pack, lack of camera equipment, I put it in there...

Jane

Chimp
May 9, 2003
People's Republic of Golden
Another vote for the Camelbak Blowfish. I do carry my armor on the pack by shoving the bottom of it into the exterior mesh pocket and running the knee/elbow straps through the hook at the top of the pack. Not elegant, but it works fine. When I ride those types of trails I just wear a regular helmet, so no need to carry it anywhere other than my noggin.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a few (3) different model Hydrapaks that range in size from racer (carry min.) to medium (which can carry my armor and even a spare helmet) to large (which can carry enough for an overnight trip).

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Thanks all, I'm thinking about the Dakina Nomad. It's a bit smaller than the Apex, but big enough to fit everything. Since I do hike-a-bikes up Galbraith a lot, I'd like everything to fit in my pack so I don't get overheated...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I'm not a chick, but I just bought a hydrapak Borracho. The thing is HUGE. Enough room to carry my knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads, a full face helmet, 2 100 oz bladders, tools, and enough food and gear for a full day in the saddle.

I also LOVE the hydrapak bladder INFINITELY more than the camelbak one.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm not a chick, but I just bought a hydrapak Borracho. The thing is HUGE. Enough room to carry my knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads, a full face helmet, 2 100 oz bladders, tools, and enough food and gear for a full day in the saddle.

I also LOVE the hydrapak bladder INFINITELY more than the camelbak one.
I like the hydrapak bladders too!