Quantcast

what is expected of a Best Man?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have no clue & I will be one next Friday. I know I give a toast at some point. Do I get more drink tickets or something? Do I need a tux? (haha. on that last one.)

:confused:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
you're supposed to plan the bachelor party (extremely important) and you have to give the toast. You probably aren't supposed to get as drunk as everyone else but that depends on the wedding. You may need a tux but it depends on what the rest of the grooms men are wearing. You should get unlimited drinks.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Definetely the bachelor party and the toast. You are also responsible for making sure the groom shows up on time and is sober. You usually handle the rings unless they have a ring bearer or something like that. Tux isn't required unless it's a tux type of wedding - sometimes a nice suit will do.

You may also have usher duties as well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Drink tickets? What the...? :confused: Even if it's a cash bar the members of the wedding party usually have a special deal or a back room with a cooler. I've never seen drink tickets at a wedding.

I've done it twice and besides doing the bachelor party and the toast, both times I ended up being sort of an all around helper for the bride and groom. There are all kinds of things you might need to do, like getting people together for pictures, etc. I also made sure the groom was drunk enough to relax, have fun, and say "I do" but not so drunk that he puked on the bride at the alter.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
Make sure there is a kick ass bachleor's party that ALWAYS includes strippers. No matter what the bride says...she doesn't have to know...but there is no other way to go. It's up to you to make it happen!!!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Sweet. Kind of a sneak peak ofr what I get to do next year for my best friends wedding. =]

Sleeping with the maid of honor would be awesome in my case. HA.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ask the best man what he expects. It is his party. From what he says just turn it up a notch. If his future father in law or brother in law is going to attend then keep it tame. As I have learned that lesson.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I've been a best man twice.

The first time I took it serious and had absolutely no fun. Including the bachelor party which almost ended one marriage. I somehow forgot that if the groom was old enough to get married he didn't need me worrying about him. Plus my speech was lame.

The second time is basically 2 long blackouts. The bachelor party was at the Cheetah in Atlanta and that's all I can honestly attest to. The wedding day memories from 4 tequila shots with the groom 10 mintues into the reception to coming to at 6am at the door of my hotel room in a wet tux with the maid poking me with a toilet brush have been provided to me by others and wedding photos. I have been told that I had the reception rolling with my speech. My mom even said that most people didn't even realize the groom was basically propping me up.

So your duties are first and foremost making sure the groom doesn't bolt. Give a speech that is not lame. Take advantage of the free drinks. Don't call the bride a whore. Oh and don't lose the ring OR better yet pawn that off on the maid of honor.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OGRipper said:
Drink tickets? What the...? :confused: Even if it's a cash bar the members of the wedding party usually have a special deal or a back room with a cooler. I've never seen drink tickets at a wedding.
that was a joke. :)

yes, i think an alcohol fueled toast will be in order, i think the festivities are going to have that kind of vibe & if not, it is my duty to make them that way.

For the speech(es) (reception dinner too?) I think I might just rip off something from "Perfect Strangers".

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Tenchiro said:
Words to live by.

True and true.

Just have fun with it Laura's husband. My best man cried before my weding because of all the stress. Don't do that.

All I could say was, "wtf dude, I'm getting married here in about 2 minutes. Get it together man."

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What you need to do is....... BOOK THE STRIPPERS AHEAD OF TIME! I had probably the most failed bachelor party of all time for my buddy when I was his best man. He puked in the parking lot of the strip club WHEN WE GOT THERE, and then we couldnt even go in. Its really hard to find a stipper to come to your hotel room at midnight in NC.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
TN said:
that was a joke. :)

yes, i think an alcohol fueled toast will be in order, i think the festivities are going to have that kind of vibe & if not, it is my duty to make them that way.

For the speech(es) (reception dinner too?) I think I might just rip off something from "Perfect Strangers".
If you are going to steal, steal from Old School. That'll get a bigger gasp , I mean laugh.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BigMike said:
What you need to do is....... BOOK THE STRIPPERS AHEAD OF TIME! I had probably the most failed bachelor party of all time for my buddy when I was his best man. He puked in the parking lot of the strip club WHEN WE GOT THERE, and then we couldnt even go in. Its really hard to find a stipper to come to your hotel room at midnight in NC.
Sounds a bit like my husband's bachelor party....he was so drunk they stuffed him in a shopping cart and wheeled him around a mall parking lot for a little while. I don't think he even made it into the strip club 'cause he puked and passed out. :p

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
so, the reception speech is all I am slated for. *whew*
It should be a good one....here are the provisions for the head table (so far).....
open bar (of course)
50 year old bottle of Gran Marnier
1 case of French Champagne (magnums) brought over by my aunt.
& of course I plan on having a pocketful of fruity nugs too. :evil:
it should be fun!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Zark said:
Have a flask of scotch handy for the groom at all times!
The flask is a MUST! You need a plan a party, write a nice speech for the toast, and you need to kind of keep everything and everyone in check. You need to make sure that people don't get too drunk too early...

Oh yeah, and don't forget to hook up with one of the bride's maids...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zark said:
Have a flask of scotch handy for the groom at all times!
Well I had to have TWO best men (The wife is a pretty powerful force in the universe) and I gave them flasks filled with whiskey. They planned the bach party, gave toasts, kept me in line and on time and were general problem solvers when needed. They handled any little details so I didn't have to think about them. And yeah, they wore tuxes.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You're the one responsible for handcuffing the groom naked to a traffic light on the main street at 3 in the morning.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
laura said:
heh, you don't know the maid oof honor. she's been "eating for two" for seven months.
so what? that just means she has some big boobs and a ghetto booty...