Quantcast

What is it about taking a spill

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
That devastates your confidence? After bailing hard at Whistler and then at SST I've had a hard time doing anything other than simple drops. Or maybe Dirtmerchant has spoiled me. I went to SST the other day and only took like four runs because the easy **** was too easy and the big step down was scaring me, though I've done it 20+ times :(

Help me out of this slump

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I am the same way. I can do something fifty times but take a bad spill and I skip it for the next month. You will be back. If it is not fun, don't do it, it will still be there next time.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
you need some LSD man.....

Ok, maybe not.... MAYBE YOU NEED TO HIT WHISTLER BEFORE CLOSING WEEKEND?

Also, have you been out to meet greg? his stuff is cool, and he is open for help building...... maybe create a mid level line there.... i know i could use one.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Don't feel too bad. I crash on the easy lines regularly. I also have the mindf*ck thing going on with a couple lines down at SST. Mostly 'cuz it's a slippery dustbowl at present and the handling isn't what I'm used to it being. At least that's MY excuse.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Dude, I crash all the time...ALL the time, I totally understand what you are saying. I used to think about my past crashes all the time and they would seriously screw me up on my next couple of rides....but now I just laugh them off :) Put them out of my mind the minute I get back on the after hitting the ground :think:

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
My philosophy used to be that if I crash on something I would get right back up (provided I wasn't broken) and do it again immediately. That way the last memory of it was making it successfully, not crashing on it. But now I'm an old geezer and if I crash on something I'll probably go home and cry about it...

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
thesacrifice said:
That devastates your confidence? After bailing hard at Whistler and then at SST I've had a hard time doing anything other than simple drops. Or maybe Dirtmerchant has spoiled me. I went to SST the other day and only took like four runs because the easy **** was too easy and the big step down was scaring me, though I've done it 20+ times :(

Help me out of this slump
I think it just takes time. A bad crash is scary as hell. I had a bad one at Whistler about 6 wks ago on Goats Gully. I was pretty surprised at how much confidence I had lost the next time I went back up. Everything was making me nervous. Although, with each run I took I got more of it back. Just go on a few more rides and don't push it too hard...it will come back to ya.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Don't feel too bad. I crash on the easy lines regularly. I also have the mindf*ck thing going on with a couple lines down at SST. Mostly 'cuz it's a slippery dustbowl at present and the handling isn't what I'm used to it being. At least that's MY excuse.
The great thing about the dust bowl is that you can crash hard and come out with nothing more than a bruised ego, something I've done many a time. Mindf*ck is a big part of it too, or I freak myself out before I even try it.

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
just got back on the bike, still havent hit the big drop i crashed on, broken hand out for 8 weeks. went riding on the trails went over the bars 4 times in one day, so sore out for a week. Learning to ride all over again priceless.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Put your ego in your back pocket and accept the fact that you are going to ride like Bibs for a while, before you know it you'll be charging again!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
It takes awhile to get back into it. Just gotta keep riding and progress. I'm still not fully recovered mentally after my break. But I'm out there going for it and gradually gaining confidence.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
It takes awhile to get back into it. Just gotta keep riding and progress. I'm still not fully recovered mentally after my break. But I'm out there going for it and gradually gaining confidence.
Five! Take me to BMX track! :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
BMX track? You wanna go to a BMX track? - You trying to break something else?
Pifftt! I'm not that fragile! I want to practice my sprints and my jumping this winter....will my Spot be okay there?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Snacks said:
Pifftt! I'm not that fragile! I want to practice my sprints and my jumping this winter....will my Spot be okay there?
Yeah, it's good place to practice sprinting and jumping. The Spot would be perfect.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
my last bail was off that stepdown at the end of the trail that's at the top of the road infront of the SST park. I was an idiot and went way too fast, landed way too far down the trail (close to where it starts to turn a bit, landed way too tail and ended up riding a nose wheelie before slamming hard. Nothing broke, but my insides were tingling for a bit. I lost my balls :(

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
thesacrifice said:
my last bail was off that stepdown at the end of the trail that's at the top of the road infront of the SST park. I was an idiot and went way too fast, landed way too far down the trail (close to where it starts to turn a bit, landed way too tail and ended up riding a nose wheelie before slamming hard. Nothing broke, but my insides were tingling for a bit. I lost my balls :(
Ouch!
Is that the trail with the "dump" at the bottom? If so, it needs ALOT of work. We went over there this past Sunday and somebody drove thru there with either a 4X4 or a motorcycle. All the jumps/landings are 'sploded-up-like. On the bright side, there's more clearance from the stinging nettles along the sides.

I had a near-bail that same day over at the flowpark. Was trying to tabletop the stepdown and slipped a pedal in midair. I nearly shat my shorts, but managed to find the pedal and even landed ok. I managed to get the bike kind of flat on that final jump after the table on another run and almost didn't get the tires back down. Needless to say, I'm far from getting bored with that area.:dancing:

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
What's this I hear bout bibs??

Anywhoo that stepdown is easy. I did it on my hardtail. Not like that's really an accomplishment.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I finally made it back to SeaTac after breaking my wrist 4 months ago. It took me a couple hours to remember how to jump. I kept pulling to much on my right side because my left arm has atrophied from inactivity. I had to hit the easy drops 5-6 times before I felt comfortable with the big step-down before the table.

Finally, after almost 2 hours, I was ready to hit the table. In all, I spent over 5 hours there, and was back to my old self by the day's end.

My tip is to take it slow and be persistent. It comes back eventually.

Jun 18, 2004
I dislocated my shoulder at Whistler on A line last year... hyperextended my foot ligaments this year at SST... and re tweeked my shoulder off a ledge at SCCC off Broadway in Sea last winter... all I'm hoping for is to not mess myself up at whistler next closing weekend... because I met this one guy at Duvall and he did that last year... I gotta just ride safe and not worry about it... ok gotta go my lady is here...