Quantcast

What is it I'm not getting (06-07 Pike)?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I just changed my brake pads on my XC bike. Simple enough.

I've been lucky enough to not need to remove my front wheel more than a couple of times. Anyhoo, I've removed it and now re-installed it and I can't seem to get the Maxle to re-engage quite right.

This happened to me before, and I'd thought I'd scrapped my hub. Brought it into the shop and the guy just fiddled with the Maxle and it was all nice and tight again. It seems there is some incantation I didn't notice because now I've got the same problem again.

This is what I've tried:

1. Thread the Maxle into the "far" for leg.
2. Check tension by starting to engage lever
3. Add a little tension to the lever be tightening the little knob at the opposite end
4. Once a healthy amount of tension is obtained (not tons, just enough to feel solidly tight) fully engage the lever.

I still get wiggle in my front wheel. I've tried all manner of orientations of the lever (12 o'clock to 11 o'clock) , not fully threading the maxle into "far" fork leg, threading it in tight, etc, etc... I still get the wiggle.

What voodoo am I not getting here?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You may have the wedge too tight and it's not letting it thread into the leg far enough. I have seen this happen. Or, it could be too loose. Regardless, it's likely the wedge.

Now tell your dumbass brother that shops really are here to help. :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've found that I need to make my Maxle a bit tighter than I would a normal QR to keep the hub snugged down. Try that.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You may have the wedge too tight and it's not letting it thread into the leg far enough. I have seen this happen. Or, it could be too loose. Regardless, it's likely the wedge.

Now tell your dumbass brother that shops really are here to help. :)
It appears there's a wedge at each end, but only the end that threads into the fork seems to be removable. I'll put the bike on the new stand tonight and have another fiddle.

Moar grease? Shimz?

Maybe I'll even post pics...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've found that I need to make my Maxle a bit tighter than I would a normal QR to keep the hub snugged down. Try that.
Well I've tried tight, loose, etc... it doesn't seem to affect the tension in the axle. I'm befuddled.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I had similar problems when I was installing it for the first time, then I took a smoke break and found out that you have to tighten it into exact position. It's basically super easy....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Make sure the wedge opposite the lever is loose. I had this problem at first as I was more familiar with the Zoc style 20mm axle. Also if nothing works there have been issues with the Maxle 360. A friend of mine got his permanently stuck in his fork. RS sent him new lowers without hassle.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well, after much dinking around, I've discovered that it's just my hub body. There's play between the bearing and the hub body. No matter how tight I got the Maxle, the bearings would still wiggle around inside the hub. I guess it just got progressively worse until the problem became more obvious.

I got new front wheel for $100 and all is well again. Let's hope this doesn't happen again. But not that I know how to use it right, I can't imagine having the problem again.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
$100 for a 20mm wheel? That's a good price! Where did you get it and what did you buy? If you don't mind me asking.
There was/(is?) a sale off all parts at Cove bikes on the North Shore. I got a Single Track with a Formula hub. Not too shabby. I was in and out of the shop within an hour.