Quantcast

What is it with spiders!?!??!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Them little buggers always crawl up my leg while I'm here at my desk.. I always scratch and then feel somethin ticklin up slowly. Next thing I know I jump so high in my seat that my knees smack into the bottom of my desk and I'm on the ground pounding away. Then they also like the sneak attack approach.. crawl out of my keyboard all of a sudden and try to run away. Or just hang from the ceiling next to my face. Am I the only one that gets terrorized by these little bastards?? :mumble:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DLo said:
Them little buggers always crawl up my leg while I'm here at my desk.. I always scratch and then feel somethin ticklin up slowly. Next thing I know I jump so high in my seat that my knees smack into the bottom of my desk and I'm on the ground pounding away. Then they also like the sneak attack approach.. crawl out of my keyboard all of a sudden and try to run away. Or just hang from the ceiling next to my face. Am I the only one that gets terrorized by these little bastards?? :mumble:

Jeebus Kryst! I'm glad I don't work where you work! did you get the job at Fox?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not at work but on rides. There are days when the trails are so infested with them it is nearly impossible to ride. I have no problems get a facefull of web or even having the errant spider crawling around my head but when you hit a web every 5 feet it has a tendancy to tangle your eyelashes together and you cant see.

But the ultimate test of focus is hitting a techy downhill with a fat spider trying to crawl up your nose.

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
My gf is deathly afraid of spiders, i love them. Probably jstu from the discovery channel because they play the creeping violin plucking music. Never had any problems while riding trails, but during work this summer i saw one that was the size of a flipping dinner plate. I hit it with a shovel, and it was good.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
This ain't at work.. this is at HOME, in my frickin room! I'm not a huge slob either, my room isn't the cleanest, but it's definitely not sloppy by any means. These guys are startin to piss me off. The worst of it is when you sleepin, you wake up, and you see this big ol black spot on your arm (I'm blind without glasses) and all of a sudden it starts zippin away.

No, I didn't get the job at fox. I ought to quit school, that's what got in my way :(

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have wasps flying all over my desk. I can't figure out out. They are big fockers too.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Westy said:
Not at work but on rides. There are days when the trails are so infested with them it is nearly impossible to ride. I have no problems get a facefull of web or even having the errant spider crawling around my head but when you hit a web every 5 feet it has a tendancy to tangle your eyelashes together and you cant see.

But the ultimate test of focus is hitting a techy downhill with a fat spider trying to crawl up your nose.
I once had a pretty nasty wreck on a steep shale section because of a spider. Came out of the trees through a web and right in the middle of the DH section the spider shows on on the lens of my sunglasses. Always wondered if he survived the wreck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
I have wasps flying all over my desk. I can't figure out out. They are big fockers too.
They are not real, it is the acid. Either way the only way to get rid of them is to claw at your skin, dump gasoline on yourself and light a match.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have beetles in my apartment. they arent very big though. but i do have these centipeds that are flat kinda clear about an inch long and fast as hell almost have to jog to keep up with them with a shoe in my hand.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
How about cockroaches?? Now those things are skeery. I was out in Asia one time, my grandma opens a closet door. WHAM, there's a cockroach there aboot as long as my finger. I hate bugs :angry:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Westy said:
They are not real, it is the acid. Either way the only way to get rid of them is to claw at your skin, dump gasoline on yourself and light a match.
Yah shrooms can bring out the spiders too. First it's like a big one crawling across your field of vision, then it turns into a hundred little ones swirling around a medium sized one, then just like a huge kaleidoscope of spiraling, swirling spiders, then they turn into little skulls. Then the Zappa music starts playing itself in your head.

I recommend curling up into a little ball and quivering in bed until your mind shuts off.

I had a real spider grab my visor and start tapping on my helmet like, "Hello, dipschit, that was my HOUSE you just rode through! PS, you suck at riding!"

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
dh girlie said:
Jeebus Kryst! I'm glad I don't work where you work! did you get the job at Fox?
As I recall from previous threads regarding spiders, you and I are both terrified of them. And yet we're both looking through this thread.

Dammit! Put the word "Spider" in any thread and I will open it and read it. Even though I am deathly afraid of them.

I even shrink my browser window, just in case any pics of spiders pop up. Or I'll scroll down real fast just to check. That way it lessens the chance of me having a heart attack!

Why the hell do I subject myself to this kind of torture. Arachnophobia was on a couple days ago, and I had to watch it. I almost clawed my eyes out.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Studies have shown that the average person eats 6-12 spiders in there lifetime. Usually when sleeping they crawl in, tickle your tongue and the rest is history. Talk about morning breath...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
The reason there are so many spiders inside now is cause it is fall, so they come inside where it is warm.
SOLUTION: simply heat the outdoors around your house by leaving all of the doors open, so local spiders will have no reason to enter... make sure you close the screeon door though... nevermind, that was a bad plan form the start.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Bullitrider said:
Studies have shown that the average person eats 6-12 spiders in there lifetime. Usually when sleeping they crawl in, tickle your tongue and the rest is history. Talk about morning breath...
No wonder I been havin stinky breath lately

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bullitrider said:
not true.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.

In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
i've swallowed a bug at a river trail awhile back, it tasted how trout smell, weird. :dead:
I ate a bunch of bugs in Thailand just because they were for sale. Some fried roaches and maggots and crickets and stuff. It just tasted like burnt hair.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i swallow a couple bugs a year from riding, usually half choke then swallow. Never ate bugs on purpose, but if i had to to survive i'd be a bug eatin fool. Yah maybe the trout smell isn't close, it kind of smelled like salmon egg bait maybe, i dunno it was a pretty weird fishy taste. One i really hope i don't taste again.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
i swallow a couple bugs a year from riding, usually half choke then swallow. Never ate bugs on purpose, but if i had to to survive i'd be a bug eatin fool. Yah maybe the trout smell isn't close, it kind of smelled like salmon egg bait maybe, i dunno it was a pretty weird fishy taste. One i really hope i don't taste again.
Ive swallowed a couple live fish for money and attention here and there. I also ate a moth in front of my entire Spanish class in 11th grade and got paddled for it. Neither of those had any taste i can recall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, i'm not questioning the trout smell, er, taste. the icon is just meant to represent that i can't quite grasp how something would taste like a smell :D

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
one time we were having a party at my house at my house and there was this little spider hanging from the ceiling. so i grabbed a chair to stand on and gobbled it up. then i went to kiss my girlfriend and she smacked me.

darren, at least the spiders eat all the other bugs in your room. that's what they're good for.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
ahahahaha, that's pretty funny dude. Are you back on the east coast again? I might be out there this winter. Come back out and visit again sometime man, it was fun ridin with ya.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
DLo said:
ahahahaha, that's pretty funny dude. Are you back on the east coast again? I might be out there this winter. Come back out and visit again sometime man, it was fun ridin with ya.
yeah, i'm back at school in massachusetts. it was a fun summer though.
i'm planning some trips around the west next summer. we'll have to meet up. where you coming out east?