Quantcast

What is my bike made for?

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
Hey guys,I have a 2001 Schwinn pro-xs. The bike doesn't look like a street bike or racing bike. The frame is a bit longer than most bikes and it has normal width tires. I can't think of hiow exactly to describe so Ill post a pic,as they say,a picture is worth a thousand words.The pics arent of my bike exactly(can't find my camera),these are the same model though.

Attachments

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Would there be any repercussions if I dirt jumped it and jumped stair sets with it? When I bought I didn't know the different types of bikes and I can't afford to get another one right now...
It's made with speed in mind, so it's built light. Dirt Jumpers and street bikes are built to withstand the abuse that's associated with those activities. So you might end up breaking some stuff. But it really just depends on how the bike is built.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
It also depends on how much you weigh. But either way be very careful and check your bike regularly.

Little Story
I had a older GT mountain bike that I kept jumping off stairsets with it and whatnot. One day (after a couple years of this), I was jamming down these 2 flights of stairs. When I hit the bottom my front wheel compressed/flexed enough to allow my front brake to go past the rim and into the spokes. Already being at a 45 degree angle, the bike very quickly endo'd my face into the concrete. Broke the tip of my nose into 6 pieces, 11 stitches on the bridge of my nose and pushed the whole front row of my upper teeth back to where they were meeting with my bottom row (so I couldn't close all they way). It was like I was trying to take a baby bite out of an o' de voure or something. One tooth was an implant and is still loose till today (2.5 years later).

My transition double would have never of betrayed me like that. Check your bike through and through as the time you spend on it passes. When you start to feel flex and jankyness. Get rid of it (warn the next person who gets it, if you have heart). And do yourself justice and get yourself a badass whip.

oh yeah, if it's an aluminum frame, I believe you will be needing to check for cracks in the welds. Especially around the headtube. You don't want your bike to split in half like a james bond car when landing a stairset.

Last edited:

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
Schwinn for the winn!!!

THis bike was clearly made for racing. You should race it.
Definately man,shame that walmart uses the name now though,now people ask me if I got my bike from wally world *sigh*.

Also,I would race it if I had a track near me,but alas,I do not and don't know of one anywhere near my area.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
It also depends on how much you weigh. But either way be very careful and check your bike regularly.

Little Story
I had a older GT mountain bike that I kept jumping off stairsets with it and whatnot. One day (after a couple years of this), I was jamming down these 2 flights of stairs. When I hit the bottom my front wheel compressed/flexed enough to allow my front brake to go past the rim and into the spokes. Already being at a 45 degree angle, the bike very quickly endo'd my face into the concrete. Broke the tip of my nose into 6 pieces, 11 stitches on the bridge of my nose and pushed the whole front row of my upper teeth back to where they were meeting with my bottom row (so I couldn't close all they way). It was like I was trying to take a baby bite out of an o' de voure or something. One tooth was an implant and is still loose till today (2.5 years later).

My transition double would have never of betrayed me like that. Check your bike through and through as the time you spend on it passes. When you start to feel flex and jankyness. Get rid of it (warn the next person who gets it, if you have heart). And do yourself justice and get yourself a badass whip.

oh yeah, if it's an aluminum frame, I believe you will be needing to check for cracks in the welds. Especially around the headtube. You don't want your bike to split in half like a james bond car when landing a stairset.
"What is my bike made for" isnt really the place to be giving advice on how to avoid breaking, inspecting, selling mountain bikes that your flat landing stair sets on. It seems counter productive to the whole theme here. Just saying.