Quantcast

What is Plattekill's DH like when its wet?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've never been to or raced Plattekill, but I am heading up that way next weekend to race in their DH and 4x. What is that mountain like when it rains? Does it hold tremendous amounts of mud and water, or does it drain pretty fast? Any advice is appreciated.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tattooo said:
I've never been to or raced Plattekill, but I am heading up that way next weekend to race in their DH and 4x. What is that mountain like when it rains? Does it hold tremendous amounts of mud and water, or does it drain pretty fast? Any advice is appreciated.
it's that mountain that moves w/ you (broken shale all over the place). try hcor, loads of regulars at that site.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Was just up there today and yes it is slick even when bone dry. Loose shale on just about every run. I've never been when wet but can imagine that any slight imbalance and you are picking yourself up. Oh, and Lazlo (sp?) cuts mean courses. The 4X course has an 8 foot road gap drop.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
platty is awesome. wet or dry its about the same, or so i've been told (never been there when wet). even when its dry you can do 2 runs in a row on the same trail and each one will be different. the weather is pretty unpredictable too.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
From my limited experience, if it's a fresh cut piece of the course, the roots will be a bit tricky, then the rocks will be a bit slick as all that red dust turns to red clay. As more people ride the courses, the rocks can get a bit slick as this clay gets dragged onto the rocks.

On the other hand, if it's wet but then dries out a bit, the course will tack up a bit whiich would be awesome! My guess is that this is what will happen as Saturday's DH practice will be on a wet course and then the weather's gonna be dry for Sunday.

This past weekend it was dusty dry, so (depending on the rain Thurs-Sat) maybe it will soak it up a bit? I dunno....It'll all be good and fun!