Quantcast

What is the best hitch style bike rack?

May 14, 2004
I am curious as to what ya'll feel is the best hitch rack out there. Please answer the following questions to better aid my judgement.

1) What hitch style bike rack is the best in your opinion?

2) Please provide feedback on specifically what like and dislike about it.

3) If there was anything you could change about it, what would it be?

4) Is there anything that you would add to it?

Thank your for your time, I appreciate it!
~Kris

May 14, 2004
Being that I do all of my own metal work and fabrication, I want to build my own rack. I have never needed one before since I drive a truck and use a few Yakima bedheads. Now that we have an SUV I need something for it.

If you don't want to reply, then don't reply. Simple as that. I haven't judged you so why should you judge me?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
coming in here with 5 posts under your belt and asking questions that look for all the world to be those that a rack company might ask is suspicious. if you had stated outright "i want to build my own rack" then that would be different.

back to your original question, i feel that the sportworks design is the best. it accomodates any sort of bicycle with two wheels, no matter what the frame design. it does not look as if it would be easy to fabricate on your own, however, so good luck.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the sportworks is the best on the market. the only thing i did not like about it was price but the raxck rules. carried everykiund of bike imagineable on it.

May 14, 2004
I really do appreciate your feedback. You have recommended one that I have heard much about. As far as fabricating it, there isn't anything that a rack company can do, that I can't.

May 14, 2004
Originally posted by biggins
the sportworks is the best on the market. the only thing i did not like about it was price but the raxck rules. carried everykiund of bike imagineable on it.
Here we go, I predicted sportworks would be on top, but let's see how it really goes.

May 14, 2004
I just looked on ebay for hitch racks and most of them were the kind that hold the bike by its top tube. This kind of rack is not feasible for me since my main ride is a Cannondale Super V.

Also, I have never really paid attention to the racks but have glanced at them. The sportworks uses a tire hoop, I know for the back wheel. I just went to their site and one of there selling points is "no wheel removal". I was planning on using a fork mount because I know it is solid. How solid is the sportworks that holds the bike by he wheels?

Right now I am thinking of a rack that has a fork mount and uses a 9 mm yakima locking skewer and is adjustble in width to accomodate my different size bikes. THe back wheel will be held by a tray or cradle of some sort. I would also like to accomodate some wheel holders, if I do go with the fork mount.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by baseballerkra
Even so, what would be the problem if I were a rack company? They are only trying to better accomodate you, the user.
as for why under the table market research is lame, i point you toward the simpsons :D

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/BABF07

the metalwork on the sportworks looks easy enough, but it seems as if the challenge would lie in the parts such as the telescoping bit that goes over the front wheel. if you can make such a beast for less than sportworks charges more power to ya

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also, I have never really paid attention to the racks but have glanced at them. The sportworks uses a tire hoop, I know for the back wheel. I just went to their site and one of there selling points is "no wheel removal". I was planning on using a fork mount because I know it is solid. How solid is the sportworks that holds the bike by he wheels?

Right now I am thinking of a rack that has a fork mount and uses a 9 mm yakima locking skewer and is adjustble in width to accomodate my different size bikes. THe back wheel will be held by a tray or cradle of some sort. I would also like to accomodate some wheel holders, if I do go with the fork mount.
the whole point of the sportworks is that you don't have to remove the front wheel. this is because fork mounts a) don't work with 20mm axle forks, b) sometimes interfere with brake calipers, and c) are generally a pain.

how solid is the sportworks? i trust it infinitely more than the fork mount and upright thule mounts that i have for my (unused now) roof rack. this is mostly because i had a bike pop off from one of the fork mounts while on the freeway, with predictable results.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
My SARIS rack is great:thumb: Holds the bikes without wheel removal and seems pretty strong.

May 14, 2004
Interesting. Being from South Louisiana, most riders don't have 20 mm thru axles, that is why I have never really considered it. I am gonna have to go look at this up close and in person to see exactly how it can hold the bike so securely. The sportworks site doesn't give any closeups really.

I still don't understand how your bike simply popped out of a fork mount. Sorry that it happened though. Look on the bright, I am sure you got a new bike after that. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I still don't understand how your bike simply popped out of a fork mount. Sorry that it happened though. Look on the bright, I am sure you got a new bike after that. :)
it was while i was going 70 mph or so. the bike came out with a bang, swung down (held by the rear wheel strap) and shattered the side glass on my suv, then clattered off into the median.

on the upside, it wasn't my bike.

on the downside, it was from my car, and i had to pay for (most) of the window damage :mad:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by MMike
Can we please just have a sticky at the top of every forum that says "SPORTWORKS ARE THE BEST HITCH MOUNT BIKE RACKS!!", so that we don't have to have this weekly debate?
But it's not. My Saris is:D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I really do appreciate your feedback. You have recommended one that I have heard much about. As far as fabricating it, there isn't anything that a rack company can do, that I can't.
Of course you can fabricate anything you want, but at what cost/weight? Sportworks is set up to assemble/manufacture nothing but racks. From the custom molds for plastic pieces (which I doubt you want to invest 50K a piece in) to the extruded wheel trays, etc. I have no doubt you can make a rack that will work similar to any rack on the market, but the real question is will it be nearly as light or easy to use? Sportworks racks already weigh a ton and as I said before they are precisely made with very specific parts. It will be hard to replicate something like that. Hitch mounted racks need to be as light as possible since a vehicle wasn't designed to have 100+ lbs. of bikes and 60lbs. of rack hanging off the back. I am not trying to shoot you down, as I said before, I'm sure you are a talented fabricator, but why go through the trouble in this case?

May 14, 2004
I am not trying to make a carbon copy of anything. I am looking for everyone's opinion on what they like and dislike about their different racks. I wanted ya'll to tell me rather than me having to go all over the creation looking at and studying the different racks. Also, different issues "pop up" after you have purchased and started using a product and I definitely wanted to hear about that. Basically if I can get good design in my head, I can take the best of several different racks and put it into my own. I want a custom rack that performs and basically I like doing things like this. I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy.

If I like a certain manufacturers special plastic part or what not, I can simply order one from them. For example, Yakima's Hitch fork rack, uses a fork mount and a rear wheel cradle. If I choose I can order both the fork mount and cradle. This stuff isn't expensive. Go to Yakima's site. A set of two rear wheel cradles with strap has an MSRP of a whoppin $6. That rack retails for $300. There is maybe, $50 worth of material on there and that is with the specialty pieces.

The point I am trying to make is I don't want to make an exact knock off of someone's rack. I can simply make a similar rack that is cheaper and simpler. Though the appearance may be more crude to the eye, it will work just as well (most probably better) than one of the pre manufactured ones. For example, if the yakima rear wheel cradle were outrageous in price, I could simply replicate it with a piece of angle iron and a bungee and accomplish the same thing. I can guarantee one thing though. My rack WILL be a hell of a lot lighter than these others.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sportworks is the best, on top of my car flying at 80 m.p.h. with driving rain and wind no prob. (just today) Fabricate your own hitch mount to satisfy your tinkering then just buy the trays and ratchet mechanism from Sportsworks........

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I am gonna have to go look at this up close and in person to see exactly how it can hold the bike so securely. The sportworks site doesn't give any closeups really.
Maybe you could check out the buses in town. Around here all the metro buses have sportworks racks on the front because you can put a bike in them in like 10 seconds.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Sportworks is the best that i've used bye far. The yakima rack I had with those plastic triangle shaped bike holders on it was downright scary. at 70mph on the freeway the rear wheel of my rm7 caught so much wind the the bike twisted the mount on the steel arm. That being said there is one thing about the sportrack that scares me although it hasn't actually created a problem yet. On the mount assembly that allows the rack to flip up and down there is a retaining pin (the only chrome one there I believe) that keeps or at least helps keep the rack from swinging down too far and hitting the ground. That pin is not held in there super secure and I'm just waiting for one day when I hit that magic bump and the bikes fall out of my view in the mirror. I just wish along with the spring arm retainer thingie that is uses it was drilled out for a small hitch pin or something.

May 14, 2004
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
Maybe you could check out the buses in town. Around here all the metro buses have sportworks racks on the front because you can put a bike in them in like 10 seconds.
That would definitely be an idea but, in Baton Rouge, there are no buses really and they definitely wouldn't have any bike racks. I will just have to go into the bike shop, which I hate to do because you can't just go in and look around anymore with out the wrenches getting pissed and accuse you of buying stuff off the internet. God help the poor soul who goes in an LBS and tries on shoes without purchasing any! :eek:

May 14, 2004
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
Sportworks is the best that i've used bye far. The yakima rack I had with those plastic triangle shaped bike holders on it was downright scary. at 70mph on the freeway the rear wheel of my rm7 caught so much wind the the bike twisted the mount on the steel arm. That being said there is one thing about the sportrack that scares me although it hasn't actually created a problem yet. On the mount assembly that allows the rack to flip up and down there is a retaining pin (the only chrome one there I believe) that keeps or at least helps keep the rack from swinging down too far and hitting the ground. That pin is not held in there super secure and I'm just waiting for one day when I hit that magic bump and the bikes fall out of my view in the mirror. I just wish along with the spring arm retainer thingie that is uses it was drilled out for a small hitch pin or something.
Thanks for your input. That was a very informative post and I will be sure to keep that in mind when I go look at these things.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
funny you should mention that. That exact scenario played out and my Stinky Primo was the last bike in the rack. The pin you are speaking of has a little bent wire clip that flips around the end to secure the pin in place. Well on my buddies rack the wire part fell off (as it can somewhat easily and it can also be reinstalled easily). He didn't say anything and just loaded up my bike and off we went. We were heading up gibraltar road to ride cold springs trail (in SB) and all of a sudden my buddy hits the brakes and comes to a stop. Looking in the mirror there were only two bikes visible. I shat a brick and jumped out of the truck to find my Stinky locked into the now hinged down, rear third bike add-on part of the rack laying at an angle with my brand new Primo Products alloy BMX bar end plug dragging on the ground. There was an aluminum smear/skid mark going about 80' back down the road and my bar plug was ground down to like a 70º angle (90º originally). Other than that no damage was sustained. The moral of the story, be sure to have the pin truly secured and always rock the gnarly .25" BMX bar plugs. ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
That would definitely be an idea but, in Baton Rouge, there are no buses really and they definitely wouldn't have any bike racks. I will just have to go into the bike shop, which I hate to do because you can't just go in and look around anymore with out the wrenches getting pissed and accuse you of buying stuff off the internet. God help the poor soul who goes in an LBS and tries on shoes without purchasing any! :eek:
the shop I used to manage may have been a rarity but we would let people haggle with us or if they brought in a print-out from the web. I would at least explain why the mail order outfit could offer the same product for so much less and then find a middle ground price. $45 shoes bought online with shipping charges and possibly tax can come to $60 easily, not to mention you have to wait at least a week maybe two. So if we had the same shoe for $90, I would try to go as low as $70 out the door and call it a day. Most people go for that, it is at least worth a try. You have to admit that using the local store to try on shoes only to buy them online is pretty shady. You should at least tip them a few bucks or buy something like a tube/patch kit or maybe have some repair work done etc. Good luck with the rack project keep us posted...I agree that Sportworks is the best out there at this time.

May 14, 2004
Originally posted by punkassean
the shop I used to manage may have been a rarity but we would let people haggle with us or if they brought in a print-out from the web. I would at least explain why the mail order outfit could offer the same product for so much less and then find a middle ground price. $45 shoes bought online with shipping charges and possibly tax can come to $60 easily, not to mention you have to wait at least a week maybe two. So if we had the same shoe for $90, I would try to go as low as $70 out the door and call it a day. Most people go for that, it is at least worth a try. You have to admit that using the local store to try on shoes only to buy them online is pretty shady. You should at least tip them a few bucks or buy something like a tube/patch kit or maybe have some repair work done etc. Good luck with the rack project keep us posted...I agree that Sportworks is the best out there at this time.

Here is a post you might find amusing....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3679968618&category=2904&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

I wonder why they look so pissed?!:confused:

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Originally posted by punkassean
funny you should mention that. That exact scenario played out and my Stinky Primo was the last bike in the rack. The pin you are speaking of has a little bent wire clip that flips around the end to secure the pin in place. Well on my buddies rack the wire part fell off (as it can somewhat easily and it can also be reinstalled easily). He didn't say anything and just loaded up my bike and off we went. We were heading up gibraltar road to ride cold springs trail (in SB) and all of a sudden my buddy hits the brakes and comes to a stop. Looking in the mirror there were only two bikes visible. I shat a brick and jumped out of the truck to find my Stinky locked into the now hinged down, rear third bike add-on part of the rack laying at an angle with my brand new Primo Products alloy BMX bar end plug dragging on the ground. There was an aluminum smear/skid mark going about 80' back down the road and my bar plug was ground down to like a 70º angle (90º originally). Other than that no damage was sustained. The moral of the story, be sure to have the pin truly secured and always rock the gnarly .25" BMX bar plugs. ;)
Dang, at least not too much damage was sustained by anything. I'm thinking maybe I'll put that pin on a drill press and get a hitch pin for it because that stupid spring retainer clip is just too scary.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I just got this Sportworks Freerider/DH rack for my Jeep. So far, I LOVE it. I had to get a hitch extension from them so I could fold it up since my hitch was not a factory installed hitch. What's great about it is, it's so fast and easy to load your bikes, this particular rack will support 2 50 lb. bikes, I can put ANY bike on it...even my cruisers with the fat balloon tires and fenders. Once I get the extention on there, it will be great to fold it up. As far as I can tell...and I haven't used it much since I got it like a week ago...the bikes remain nice and stable.

Attachments

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
haha, I probably shoulda gotten that FR rack too because jamming my 2.6 gazzis in the regular rack isn't the easiest thing in the world, although once they're in there they're in there for good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Zaskar Rider said:
haha, I probably shoulda gotten that FR rack too because jamming my 2.6 gazzis in the regular rack isn't the easiest thing in the world, although once they're in there they're in there for good.
i probably should have purchased the fr rack as well... except i have four (well, soon. three now :D) bikes. how am i supposed to carry them around? :dead:

bent sportworks, most likely due to too-heavy bikes:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MMike said:
So 'your' saying that the too-heavitude of the bikes caused the embendening of your rack?
Actually I believe it was over loadification that ultimately led to moderate to severe bendationism which could eventually lead to complete failurizmitude and or possible :dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
So 'your' saying that the too-heavitude of the bikes caused the embendening of your rack?
the bikes simply had too much inertiatic force