Quantcast

What is the best way to split Coaxial Cable?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I need to split the line that comes into my house and send it to 5 wall boxes, what is the best way to split it without losing signal quality?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I need to split the line that comes into my house and send it to 5 wall boxes, what is the best way to split it without losing signal quality?
look for a nice splitter that looses the least amount of dB's. a amplifier isnt necessary for only 5 splits. if you get a amp, make sure its bi-directional. depending who you have for cable/satellite, they might do the install for free for you.
if you only need 5 splits, dont get anything more than a 6-way splitter. it isnt needed in your situation and you will loose signal quality with it as well

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Are you running a cable modem off any of them? If so youll run into an issue with an amplifier. Im not sure who youre provider is but Comcast came to my place and hooked up 3 boxes for free, even after my initial installation, splitters and all were included. During the installation he also checked all of my lines and showed me each signal on each of my tvs.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are you running a cable modem off any of them? If so youll run into an issue with an amplifier. Im not sure who youre provider is but Comcast came to my place and hooked up 3 boxes for free, even after my initial installation, splitters and all were included. During the installation he also checked all of my lines and showed me each signal on each of my tvs.
there wont be a problem using a amp and a modem. we didnt have a problem in my old electronics store, nor in the places ive had over the years.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think what I'll do is use a regular splitter and if I run into issues I'll order an amplified splitter but only if there are issues.

Thanks!