Quantcast

What is the longest ride you've done??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I saw Jdcamb's post yesterday about his weekend of 30 and 40 milers and it got me to thinking -what is the longest single day mountain bike ride that you've done?

I'd have to say for it it would be about a 22 miler or so - and I think that was at a NEMBA Roast and Ride group ride up in NH. I've done many 15,16, 17ers - but I've never ventured into the 30-40 mile range ever.

What's your longest ride, where was it, and what were the trail conditions like?

to put that request into context, I could never imagine riding 30 miles at Case Mountain in Manchester, CT - it is really rocky there and pretty technical and that really wears on you. However I could see myself doing 30 miles of nice rolling smooth singletrack somewhere.

Fire away Monkeys! :)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
to put that request into context, I could never imagine riding 30 miles at Case Mountain in Manchester, CT - it is really rocky there and pretty technical and that really wears on you. However I could see myself doing 30 miles of nice rolling smooth singletrack somewhere.
I think 30 miles on any Connecticut trails would be very difficult unless you are in tremendous shape. Trails are very technical and really lay a hurtin on the legs. Plus, it'd probably take you all day to do it.

I think my longest ride was 18 miles, four hours at Kingdom Trails.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Oh, I think when I rode with Heidi and -BB- out west, that might have been a close 2nd. I think it was 18 miles or so. It wasn't very technical until you got to the top of the mountain, 8 miles up.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have done a few

Hermosa Creek in Durango CO. - We shuttled to a high point on the access road to where it was 5 miles downhill just to the trail head. Total ride was right at 30 miles. Most of it was downhill, all of it was fun. :D

Kenneback Pass - Durango Co - Again we shuttled to the top. 11,700 feet at the top, back down to 6500 feet in town. 27 miles of SINGLETRACK! About 23 of it was downhill. :D

Then one trip to Pisgah I rode 2 laps of Kitzuma ~ 16 miles, ate lunch then went and rode another 20+ miles in Bent Creek. Making for a very epic day on some of the best WNC trails.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
hmm, last summer i did a 2hr warm up ride on our bike path, then went to the local northshore park for a 9hr ride, and then finished the day off with a 6hr urban ride in downtown chicago that lasted until 2am, so thats 17hrs total :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
on the road I once did this carzy long ride...can't remember how many miles...but we rode for like 6+ hours. I think I'm still dizzy from that one ;)

trail...probably 25 to 30 miles (did this ride with Joe Pozer not too long ago)

Wumpus: 80 miles?? :think: not in one day?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Curb Hucker said:
hmm, last summer i did a 2hr warm up ride on our bike path, then went to the local northshore park for a 9hr ride, and then finished the day off with a 6hr urban ride in downtown chicago that lasted until 2am, so thats 17hrs total :D
17hours yeah, but how many miles?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
End of jan I just set a personal best all off road: 115.5 miles in exactly 12 hours beginning of jan i set another personal best 1/3off road 1/3 dirt road and 1/3 paved road on my FS - 97 miles in 7:20 (down from last years 7:38 even after getting lost twice) and the LONGEST time wise was last sept when i did 115.5 miles in about 24 hours in whistler.
This weekend i am preriding the NORBA marathon course. I'm hoping to beat my previous best at 62 miles there but the only bench mark i have is an 80 miler in about 9:45. If I can average better than 10mph I’ll be happy.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
I saw Jdcamb's post yesterday about his weekend of 30 and 40 milers and it got me to thinking -what is the longest single day mountain bike ride that you've done?
Did a couple of days in the low-mid thirties in Jim Thorpe a couple of years ago. Got REALLY lost on the second day, which was supposed to be a short day.......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not counting 24 hour races, these are my longest rides:

* all-terrain metric century (about 60 or so miles). i've done this 3-4 times. meet at my friend's house in somerville and ride to north station. take the commuter line from north station to gloucester. ride back to somerville. we hit trails through dogtown, ravenswood, additional stuff through gloucester to manchester, into beverly, road into salem, through salem woods and lynn woods, some road to breakheart, additional road through melrose, then through the the fells and back to somerville. always a good time.

* Vermont 50 miler. 7300' of climbing. nasty fun. done once

* 204/colorado trail, about 40 miles. we took a wrong turn (missed the dry fork loop, and ended up climbing up the colorado trail towards slickrock. luckily we found a couple of hikers who set us straight. we did some big rides that trip. the molas/coal bank pass ride peaked at over 12,200' and i think most if not all of the ride was over 10K. that was probably about 25 miles or so. we also did the up and down windsor trail in sante fe, w/ a continuous 3500' or so climb (8-10 miles?) to the top. it hailed on us on the way down, towards the bottom. also did the hermosa (pretty much all downhill), but the hall trail-pinkerton/flagstaff-dutch creek trail which wasn't, and tied in to the last bit of hermosa creek. not sure how long that was, but i am guessing 25 miles or so w/ a lot of climbing.

big rides are fun, and i want to do some this summer. last big ride i did was gay city/case mt ride which was probably around 20 miles, but i was on my joker so it felt like twice that.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
big rides are fun, and i want to do some this summer. last big ride i did was gay city/case mt ride which was probably around 20 miles, but i was on my joker so it felt like twice that.

You've got to come down to CT and ride Case and other spots with us again Tim!

Perhaps we can hook up with Tonyhawk and crew and they can show you the goods in there. :dancing:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Longest ride for me was around 210 miles spread over 2.5 days; roughly 30 the first day, 75 the second, and 105 the third. That was several years ago on the C&O canal tow-path, Cumberland, MD to my place south of Alexandria, VA.

My longest ride on singletrack and stuff was R3, outside of State College, PA. I think it's around 30 miles.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
Longest ride for me was around 210 miles spread over 2.5 days; roughly 30 the first day, 75 the second, and 105 the third. That was several years ago on the C&O canal tow-path, Cumberland, MD to my place south of Alexandria, VA.

My longest ride on singletrack and stuff was R3, outside of State College, PA. I think it's around 30 miles.
Did you do those rides on your singlespeeds??

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
Did you do those rides on your singlespeeds??
HA! Who do you think I am, riderx? :D

The canal was done on my old Diamondback with the rack and paniers. I need to do R3 on my ss since that's where the SSWC is being held in August. You should come down for that. I think I have Echo convinced that he should come down.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
HA! Who do you think I am, riderx? :D

The canal was done on my old Diamondback with the rack and paniers. I need to do R3 on my ss since that's where the SSWC is being held in August. You should come down for that. I think I have Echo convinced that he should come down.

I'm still too much of a SS newbie I think for that. But I do hope to ride more SS this season here in CT.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
I'm still too much of a SS newbie I think for that. But I do hope to ride more SS this season here in CT.
Come on, it's more of an SS festival. Plus it's being held within minutes of PSU and I think it's the weekend after the students come back. Think: camping, SS bar tour, sweet rooty-rocky singletrack. You don't have to race.

J

JRB

76 miles on the road in the hills.

35 on the dirt just for a ride. I have done 50 in the dirt during an event.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
Come on, it's more of an SS festival. Plus it's being held within minutes of PSU and I think it's the weekend after the students come back. Think: camping, SS bar tour, sweet rooty-rocky singletrack. You don't have to race.

What's the exact date?

I might be back in Fredonia with my sons at a hockey camp. I help out as a coach/instructor with my old college coach and my boys get to attend the camp for free! :thumb:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
100 miles, and it had a bit of everything. 12000+ feet of climbing, singletrack, fireroads, lava rock beds, shale hillsides, water crossings, wind tunnels...ahhh the memories. :)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
longest off-road for me was 51 miles with a ton of climbing, in 1996 during the durango mtn bike camp. took all day, drank about 240 oz of water, cramped up at end probably for lack of electrolytes but made it back to the base.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I've done a few 30+ trail rides with some roads connecting the two trail networks. We used to do these on Tuesday night shop rides. We'd make it back to the cars in the dark everytime. Good times. There isn't really that much trail around here to pull off any significant off road mileage. That, and I don't really have any friends who have the time or motivation to pull off these days. This thread really gets me itching to go on a long meandering ride. Narlus, for some reason your public-transit out and back sounds really cool.

Edit, I take the lack of trail thing back. The city of Ann Arbor has a little over 20 miles of trail right out my back door, depending on what sections you ride, and the neighboring city is putting a bunch of new trail in. I want to do a big all day ride now!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sedona, I did around 50miles in one day. Mostly singletrack, but some fireroad and pavement to connect it.

Santa Barbara to Ojai. 50 miles and more climbing than I care to remember (6-7,000') Took 8 hours and I was so hungry I chased an imaginary hot dog up the second to last climb. Fugg'n hot dog could run man! ;)

Solo Tunnel runs. I'd ride Tunnel trail in SB (notoriously tough trail) from my house in I.V. 45 miles of road (total) with 4,000' of climbing to drop 4 miles of gnar.... what was I thinking!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Mmmmmmm Sedona, thanks for re-igniting the fire within me. Damn, I soo want to get back there to ride.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
I did a 20 mile mtn ride in Tahoe...we shuttled to one point. It wasn't super technical or steep, but it was at I think about 10,000 ft. Not a downhill, and it was sandy so it felt like I was riding with a flat rear tire. Gorgeous views...

I did me 28 miles up the flume to the rim and around. It was SANDY. I had soooo much fun though. Met 2 guys from San Jo while I was there, and had some good fun. I may meet them in Moab this summer.

*edit - I climbed about 6,000 ft I think.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The only trail I've done in the Tahoe area (besides riding at N*) was called "Hole in the Ground". It was a pretty cool ride, but it didn't have as good of views as Flume. Flume was too clouded in and rainy when we were there. :(