Quantcast

What is the longest ride you've done??

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
Comfortably Numb at Whistler was the longest for me, not in distance (25k) but actual time spent on the bike - more than 5 hours.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
johnbryanpeters said:
Hey jdcamb,

What pace do you ride on your longer outings, hammerhead or jra?

J
jra I guess. We stop to eat, rest, take pics, whatever. Sometimes we go fast.... but on fast trails. You know what I mean? I guess it depends on the trail, who we are riding with, and how many beers jims had the night before....jdcamb

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Are you all serious? 18 miles? 30 miles? 18 is like a mediocre weekday mountian bike ride. I did the shehandoah 100 on an aluminum hardtail with a 70mm fork when I was 16. 11 hours 56 minutes. In 6 hour enduro races I usually covered 50-60. Longest road ride Ive done was about 80 or so, longest solo was 72 with about 3-4k ft of elevation. All you whippersnappers need to quit jumping off of crap and go for a bike ride. That said, I quit all the crap now and now I just dirt jump and downhill. :D

EDIT: I missed Heide and Kidwoo's posts, I got nothin on them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
uh, i did the shata classic i think it is called...on a single speed chameleon that was too big for me, with a risse roxxy and DH gearing. Mother of god, it hurt. 28 miles. Mostly uphill. I cramped so bad at the finish i ended up collapsing and needed to be carried to the truck.

I got 4th. I am more proud of this race then any other i have ever done.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
uncounted rides of 20+ miles offroad.

quite a few in the 30+ range, a few in the 40+ range, and 3 rides over 50 miles offroad. the hardest was the VT50 race three years ago. 52 miles, 6,000+ feet of climbing. done on a rigid singlespeed, time was a little over 7 hours. most climbing in one ride/day i think was a bit over 8,000 feet.

road wise, i've done 2 century rides. most of my road rides stay in the 20-50 mile range, once in a while into the 60s.

i'm not a mileage junky, but i do like checking out the maps, and seeing just how much terrain i covered sometimes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On the road, I rode 145 miles in a single day, from Hartford to Saratoga Springs. It was especially difficult since I went alone along a route which I had never been before.

Off road, this might not count, but I rode the Kokopelli Trail from Grand Junction to Moab over 6 days, unsupported. It was 140 miles, although I know the Kokopelli race the top racers do it under 20 hours.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
TheInedibleHulk said:
Are you all serious? 18 miles? 30 miles? 18 is like a mediocre weekday mountian bike ride. I did the shehandoah 100 on an aluminum hardtail with a 70mm fork when I was 16.
I'm with you on this one...I also did the Park City epic 100 course (Something around 18,000 feet of climbing) on my Schwinn Homegrown...oh the brutal pain I was in...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
"Grand Total of The E 100 race course: 100 miles of beautiful alpine single track trail with 18,627 ft. of vertical gain."

Welcome to Hell, kids. I'm doing the solo in August...can't wait :D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
blue said:
"Grand Total of The E 100 race course: 100 miles of beautiful alpine single track trail with 18,627 ft. of vertical gain."

Welcome to Hell, kids. I'm doing the solo in August...can't wait :D
Hmm, I need to find some more of these. Long mileage is so much fun, but hard to find an entertaining trail that is more than 20 miles. Perhaps a trip to Utah or Colorado, must find more elevation.

Oh and you hear that kiddies!? Drops to flat aren't cool anymore, it's all about climbing now.

The Ito

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ito said:
Hmm, I need to find some more of these. Long mileage is so much fun, but hard to find an entertaining trail that is more than 20 miles. Perhaps a trip to Utah or Colorado, must find more elevation.

Oh and you hear that kiddies!? Drops to flat aren't cool anymore, it's all about climbing now.

The Ito
Duude, I hit this gnarmax 15 foot stair gap to flat on my carbon road bike (with Ksyriums) the other day, it was sooo sweet...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
blue said:
I'm with you on this one...I also did the Park City epic 100 course (Something around 18,000 feet of climbing) on my Schwinn Homegrown...oh the brutal pain I was in...
Shenandoah only has 8k feet of climbing, but they do a good job of running as much singletrack as possible, the downhills actually hurt more than the climbs because the hands were so tired. The best part... the all-out, downhill, 110-percent sprint for the finish for 124th place. Me and this other dude must have been going 30 in our big rings pedaling like there was a million dollars on the line. He beat me by like half a bike and then we both fell over. Probably my favorite bike riding moment ever.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
TheInedibleHulk said:
Shenandoah only has 8k feet of climbing, ...........my favorite bike riding moment ever.
Ouch. At the last aid stop when I raced the VT-50, I got passed by the winning trail runner. Humble pie anyone?

I passed him again before the finish, but it was a sobering thought. My bike time was a little over 7 hours, that dudes time for running it was only about 5 minutes slower. A double off-road marathon, in a little over 7 hours. F#ck that.

I think I could put in a 5 hour time now, for the same race, but, meh. I'll stick with just riding, and the once in a while duathlon team thing with the girlfriend.