Quantcast

What is the ultimate Freeride wheelset?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Keep in mind I am a big guy.

Rim - mavic 321d - these are heavy but I am strong enough to manhandle these babies. These really are bombproof.

hub - due to the fact I am using trials skills in my riding I personally think Chris King hubs with steel shell. They are strong and light but the real reason to spend the money is the catch point. The second you pedal it catches. No delay.

Spokes - Sorry don't know that much about wheelsets. I like them though

Rotor - Hayes hydros. I am learning to despise mechs.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Hubs is easy: Chris King. Rarely can you say one product is hands down better than anything else in the world, without a doubt, in every single aspect - but King hubs are. Period. They're the strongest, the lightest, and work the best. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're amazing!

As for rims... depends how big you go and how hard you are on em. I would say Mavic F219s are perfect for most people (provided you run discs). Tioga Factory DH are incredible, because they are super wide and only 590g.

Spokes.. I guess DT 14g and you certainly should run brass nipples. That is the ultimate wheelset, IMO.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the gothic rotors brake, i've seen it 3 times out. and i've rarely seen anything else brake.
when you catch your other rotors on anything, they bend. the gothics snap

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i like DT Hugi FR hubs. instant engaugement is cool, but i don't really need it.
spokes DT 14 gauge brass nipples. and if youre doing trails and freeriding and such i'd say Intense mags. other then that i run doublewides on my hardtail and DH bike

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You guys sure like heavy wheels. I know that I wouldn't want to climb with 321s, and my definition of "freeride" definitely includes climbing. My rim pick would be Sun Singletracks; I have no gripes with Chris King hubs tho. :D

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
depends on what kind of freeride - Toshi's definition, or what also seems to be out there - push a 52 lb bike to a 12 foot drop, do it a few times, push the bike to the next big drop.

For the latter, use Trailpimps.

For anything that requires climbing, I'd rather skip the 321s. 521s would be pretty good, Singletracks too. I used Velocity Deep Vs for a while, and they're about impossible to destroy, but they're XC-width, so you can't use a really big tire on 'em (2.35 max for me). Pinch flats were a constant problem. But for strength-to-weight, they were awesome.

Hubs: King. Then some others who wish they were as good. Ringle Abbahs are worth mentioning. That's about it. Most front hubs are good; you want to make sure you get a good rear one, that's where the differences between them come out.

Spokes: DT or Wheelsmith 14/15. Yes, 14/15. If you wanna go nutso, get Alpine IIIs, which are 13 at the J-Bend (only for the insane). Brass nipples, always!

Rotors, IMHO, are not part of a wheelset. They're part of a brake. I don't think it matters, either.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
My Ulimate FR wheel set would be.

Mavic 521 CD Front and Rear
Chris King Disc Hubs Black with Fun bolt on axel for the rear.
DT Spokes
Hope Mini Brakes.

Z

Zonic Man

521 rims

DB DT spokes/alloy nips (if done right, same as brass)

Phil wood rear hub (better than my Chris King)

King front hub.

Stan's tubeless kit

WTB laser casing Mutanoraptor tires.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
On my super 8 I have Arrow rims laced to hadley hubs with 14/15 dt spokes.

For my Heckler I have a lighter setup of velocity aeroheats laced to Hope bulbs with 15 ga spokes.

I am hard on freehubs and both these have held up well, Kings would be sweet but I can't stand the noise!!

Both bikes run 36 spokes laced three cross.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
for budget freeriders (like me) xt hubs on trailpimps. the hubs are heavy, so are the rims. the hubs only have 18 engagement points, but unless you're doing trialsy type stuff, you dont need it.
spokes: alpine III's would be nice, but they dont come in a length short enough for the pimp/xt combo, so the super comps will work. rotors: i'd say hayes, simple, powerful, easy to find parts for.

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
I would say D521 rims laced to King hubs and DT spokes with brass niples.....yummy.

Or if you want to get real crazy a rholoff speedhub for the rear....tasty, and no friggin derraileur hangin down in the back.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I second the King/DT14-15/brass/521 wheelset... except the 521s are so narrow (relatively). Super strong for the weight but really narrow. Right now I'm running a 521 36 spoke rear and a Singletrack 32 spoke front and it feels and rides great. I have a super strong rear that's not too heavy, and a fairly light front end that's wide enough to handle bigger tires (and make narrow tires feel much better than they should). But that's on a FR hardtail and the rear takes harder hits. If say, I was on a fully, and wasn't so sketched out by narrow rims, I might be better off with the 521 up front.

Give us your weight, definition of your freeriding, and the bike it will go on, and you'll get a MORE perfect wheelset.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by ohio
Give us your weight, definition of your freeriding, and the bike it will go on, and you'll get a MORE perfect wheelset.
Not anything I am looking for personally, I was just wondering what people thought would be the best wheelset.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Oooh I wanna change my rim choice... ultimate freeride wheelset:

Chris King Disc hubset
Tioga Factory DH rims (36mm wide and only 590g!)
DT black spokes with brass nipples

And my tire choice is undoubtedly IRC Kujo 2.35 all around.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Gotta love 521 rims. Like my Atom Aircorps, esp. 'cuz they can be 24" like I need...but for a 26" GP rim, you can't beat the 521cd. Lightish, but steeeeeee-rong.

I have a set on my XC bike w/ DT DB 14/15 spokes and Hope Bulb hubs....mmmmm.

My FR/DH bike is Hope hubs to Atom Aircorps, 14g DT

MD

D

dwnwrd

I'm getting me a Bullit and I'm trying to decide what rims I should put on it. I'm about 155lbs and plan to do trail riding and novice downhill :) So I'd like to keep the weight down for the climbs.

I going to run Avid mechanical discs and I'm currently looking at Mavic F219 and F519.
The F219 is disc only and the F519 is either but it is also lighter. So, I'm inclined to go with the F519s, but is there something about the 219s that make them worth the extra weight?

Mtn Pete

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
Boston
Either the new Mavic CrossMax FR wheel set, or the new D-Max. Both tubless, and both really trick. About $600 for the set.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I don't know why everybody thinks 321's are so heavy. They have a measly 70 grams more metal than a 521. They are not that heavy.

I would have to agree with most here, Chris King hub, Mavic 321 rim, DT Alpine or Competition butted spokes (preferably black, but silver's good too).

Or Phil Wood, but I don't have experience with them so I cannot vouch for their feel or anything.