Quantcast

What is there to do in Maine???

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
I'm getting married in July and we're flying to Boston for the 4th and then driving up the coast of Maine for the honeymoon. So far, we're stopping/staying in Portsmith, Kennebunkport, and then finally Bar Harbor. :thumb:

We're spending a week. Any good things to do/see in Boston or along the way? I've never been to this area, so if you guys know of something off the beaten path that is cool, let me know.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
there arent a lot of attractions on the coast, but it is really beautiful. rocky beaches, little fishing towns here and there. i assume youre going to acadia if youre going to Baa Haabaa?
you can cruise by the Bush's Kennebunkport house. Its on a pennisula right outside of "downtown" Kennebunkport.
Freeport has the LLBean outlet
Ogunquit has a great sandy beach, I ususally go up there 2-3 times during the summer
Old Orchard Beach is another good beach/touristy place to check out.
If you are going for the sceneic trip, take US1, not I95. Rt1 goes through all the little towns on the coast, Rt1-A juts off here and there for a closer ride on the water

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Stop in Freeport and visit LL Bean. Boothbay Harbor is nice too and is on your way. But, I guess as Bar Harbor/Mt. Desert Island/Acadia Nat'l Park is your goal, and is BEAUTIFUL, get yer ass up there and spend as much time as you can there. Have fun...I grew up there and miss it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DeLorme (map and atlas company) Headquarters in Yarmouth. The world's largest globe. 42' in diameter and absolutely amazing.

Portland is a fun little city, lots of good pubs.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
luken8r said:
there arent a lot of attractions on the coast, but it is really beautiful. rocky beaches, little fishing towns here and there. i assume youre going to acadia if youre going to Baa Haabaa?
you can cruise by the Bush's Kennebunkport house. Its on a pennisula right outside of "downtown" Kennebunkport.
Freeport has the LLBean outlet
Ogunquit has a great sandy beach, I ususally go up there 2-3 times during the summer
Old Orchard Beach is another good beach/touristy place to check out.
If you are going for the sceneic trip, take US1, not I95. Rt1 goes through all the little towns on the coast, Rt1-A juts off here and there for a closer ride on the water
Acadia is our ultimate destination. It looks AWESOME. We were planning US1, but it is good to know that it will pass us through all those little towns.

Ogunquit?? That one is new. I'll have to remember that. My soon-to-be-wife just got a book about Maine, so I'll see if it is mentioned.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Zark said:
Portland is a fun little city, lots of good pubs.

I think that was just added to the list of places to stop last night. Nothing like a good pub. I hope to find at least a couple in Boston as well.

:thumb: :thumb: