Quantcast

!! What is this fucking snow shit Friday GMT !!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Dear knifemonkey.com someone link me a suitable place to buy a whetstone for my kitchen knives.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cost.html

I have a King 1000/6000 combo stone. If your knives are super dull you'll probably need something in the 400-600 range to get the edge back. Or you can always take them to a farmer's market or Williams Sonoma store and I think they run the first one through a sharpener for free and $5 per knife after that.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The honing geek in me has to ask - what sharpening stone? A natural one or a synthetic? What grit?
#Isavemydentisthonesformystraightrazors
Ever try a work sharp system? I have one, I was quite skeptical on how well it would work, but damnit it the thing just doesn't crank out a stupidly sharp blade that holds an edge for considerable abuse.

I also have various hardwood blocks, planned down to perfection and lightly oiled, with various grit sandpaper paper attached to them from 300- 3000 grit.

Also since we are talking geek to geek..... What edge do you normally like for hand sharpening? I like convex for normal work stuff, get that off the work sharp super fast.... But my back country/survival/hunting knives all have scandi edges. Those take an amazing beating

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So in this mornings news..... Deer #4 hanging in the garage for processing. This means the freezer is almost full for the year.

Oh, and with the weather here..... The road I went on for the hunting required not only proper tires, proper 4x4, but also required to be chained up as well......... Good times

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
2 of 3 local ski hills opened today. Suspect conditions, I bet.

I just remembered that my wife is going away this weekend, so no riding for me.

Fa.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mornin peeps!

Not much to report here. Kinda jonesing for a new kitchen knife, not that I need one, just that I want one. I like knives.
I have an 8" Shun Kiritsuke. It is gorgeous and cuts beautifully, too. (Makes great gifts for parents as a bonus. They have fancier finishes and the like as options.)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Dear knifemonkey.com someone link me a suitable place to buy a whetstone for my kitchen knives.
These should do: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/for-razors/

What grit do you finish at? Right now my highest is 6000 which puts a decent polish on things, not sure if going any higher will net any benefits.

Regardless, I should probably pick up a leather strop to knock the burr off. I imagine that'd help.
My wife doesn't give a crap about our knives, therefore I gave up on trying or being fancy. Bevel set on extra coarse diamond plate, then coarse, then I take it to a 800/4000 japanese synthetic POS and strop on rough cloth. Jeans work fine. :) Two days later, the knife back to rubbish edge.

Ever try a work sharp system? I have one, I was quite skeptical on how well it would work, but damnit it the thing just doesn't crank out a stupidly sharp blade that holds an edge for considerable abuse.

I also have various hardwood blocks, planned down to perfection and lightly oiled, with various grit sandpaper paper attached to them from 300- 3000 grit.

Also since we are talking geek to geek..... What edge do you normally like for hand sharpening? I like convex for normal work stuff, get that off the work sharp super fast.... But my back country/survival/hunting knives all have scandi edges. Those take an amazing beating
All my straights have hollow or extra hollow grind so the decision was made by the grinders. I finish the razors on my European and Japanese finishers that are said to be an equivalent of 30,000 grit - they fall apart during honing and achieve progressively finer edge. Interesting thing is, the finest rocks producing the smoothest shaves do not produce mirror polish that happens in the neighborhood of 12k.

For knives, I don't use any systems, I just do my best by hand, usually resulting in a minor double bevel on finer stones. I have some convex blades that are best finished on loose strop with a paste. I am a geek into razors and my knife honing skills are just a spill-over from that, pretty average.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

My wife doesn't give a crap about our knives, therefore I gave up on trying or being fancy. Bevel set on extra coarse diamond plate, then coarse, then I take it to a 800/4000 japanese synthetic POS and strop on rough cloth. Jeans work fine. :) Two days later, the knife back to rubbish edge.

All my straights have hollow or extra hollow grind so the decision was made by the grinders. I finish the razors on my European and Japanese finishers that are said to be an equivalent of 30,000 grit - they fall apart during honing and achieve progressively finer edge. Interesting thing is, the finest rocks producing the smoothest shaves do not produce mirror polish that happens in the neighborhood of 12k.

For knives, I don't use any systems, I just do my best by hand, usually resulting in a minor double bevel on finer stones. I have some convex blades that are best finished on loose strop with a paste. I am a geek into razors and my knife honing skills are just a spill-over from that, pretty average.
Heh, that's why I bought some knives that my wife uses. A mix of Heckels and Victorinox.

I have some carbon steel Misonos that only I use. I like it that way.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Nice. Most my knives that are scandi I converted from the double bevel. Time consuming, but worth it.

Yeah straight edges you pretty much get what they come with..... So much fun getting that perfect edge and hone on such a thing blade.
All my work stuff is a convex double bevel courtesy of the work sharp.

Everything gets a final pass on the strop with some Jewelers rouge.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah...that's been making the hot topic circuit around here. Dude managed to get an ENORMOUS amount of user groups to play nice in the sandbox for the first time ever.....and then one bully comes along and kicks sand in everyone's faces. It's devastating news. Humans are awful sometimes.
does anyone know who the shit heel is that got him fired?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use a service. They sell me knives also. http://www.povinellicutlery.com Awesome folks. My friend bought her meat grinder there also.
(que memories .......)
in the 70s growing up in the old neighborhood, this old Bohemian guy would come around once every few weeks, pushing his cart and ringing a bell. All the Moms would bring out their knives and scissors and he'd sharpen them right there, then move to the next block. I have to think he was just keeping the tradition alive as he charged almost nothing as I recall.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
(que memories .......)
in the 70s growing up in the old neighborhood, this old Bohemian guy would come around once every few weeks, pushing his cart and ringing a bell. All the Moms would bring out their knives and scissors and he'd sharpen them right there, then move to the next block. I have to think he was just keeping the tradition alive as he charged almost nothing as I recall.
Dude still comes around these parts doing the same, bell ringing and all. Though its more of a suspect white van that's been to Vietnam and back type of deal. I think I used him to sharpen the blade on my parents lawn mower once.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
does anyone know who the shit heel is that got him fired?
Most of those arrows point towards John Wilson - Wilson formed Friends of Harper Creek and Lost Cove Wilderness and submitted comments to the Forest Service opposing the MOU. Got the Wilderness Society President to turn against Martin, and when Martin refused to cave, they fired him.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most of those arrows point towards John Wilson - Wilson formed Friends of Harper Creek and Lost Cove Wilderness and submitted comments to the Forest Service opposing the MOU. Got the Wilderness Society President to turn against Martin, and when Martin refused to cave, they fired him.

How much does it cost to have some knee caps broken? I'm sure jdcamb knows a guy. We could start a go-fund-me.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
How much does it cost to have some knee caps broken? I'm sure jdcamb knows a guy. We could start a go-fund-me.
I could get on-board with that idea...but hard work and open conversation got everyone to the table before, and I think it will eventually prevail in getting them back there again. If anything, it showed that the multitudes of user groups could work together and actually want very similar outcomes. Nobody wants to see the environment harmed and all want to be responsible stewards of it - the rhetoric by the loud-talkers just sometimes gets in the way of the calm and reasonable voices.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I could get on-board with that idea...but hard work and open conversation got everyone to the table before, and I think it will eventually prevail in getting them back there again. If anything, it showed that the multitudes of user groups could work together and actually want very similar outcomes. Nobody wants to see the environment harmed and all want to be responsible stewards of it - the rhetoric by the loud-talkers just sometimes gets in the way of the calm and reasonable voices.
if you've already got your crew in one boat, and the captain is bein' a dick, it's time you stage a mutiny.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Everyone knows a guy. Buy a bundle of Heroin ($200). Entice junky with half and the other half when the job is complete... Digits are better then kneecaps. Kneecaps are rather durable. More so then most people realize. You can just stomp on digits, no weapons required. If you're going to risk a charge, make sure its one your Lawyer can easily get you off of. Fucking amateurs...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is it a bad idea to sell something to someone on Pinkbike that has only created an account 10 days ago? If I do the sale via paypal, can I still get fucked?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is it a bad idea to sell something to someone on Pinkbike that has only created an account 10 days ago? If I do the sale via paypal, can I still get fucked?
Doesn't PayPal always lean towards the buyer for disputes? If they're Canadian, do Interac etransfer, once you get the moneys, it'll be impossible for them to reverse it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
no not necessarily. I was just a kid but I believe he was a czech guy, so literally bohemian. That word isn't negative to me, gypsy is.
OK let's call them Romani. I am asking because in my childhood, it was Romani traveling craftsmen who would sharpen knives, scissors and fix broken umbrellas.

History lesson: We never called them Bohemians as we are Bohemians, called after a Boii Celtic tribe. The French started calling Romani and their lifestyle bohemian because they were coming from the Czech lands. I therefore find calling Romani Bohemians offensive. ;)