Quantcast

What is this knob-like thing on my radio's faceplate?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The previous owner of our car left it with this knob-like thing on the dashboard that I assume was for mounting a cell phone holder. However, it's not a ProClip product and a quick Google search didn't turn up any more clues.

Can anyone help me ID the thing? Ideally I'd like to find a way to mount an iPhone holder from it, since it's essentially stuck there forever--I don't think I can remove it without cracking the face of the stereo.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
doesnt really look smooth enough, but if it is, it could be the 'plate' for a suction cup that some holders use as the attachment...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Update: it's a magnet. I wonder if there exist mounts that use a magnet, or whether it was just for keeping the driver's to-do notes pinned to the dash…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh and.... call the prev. owner??
CPO via dealer. Although I probably could have called them (or showed up at their front door :rofl: ) before I erased their imported contacts and destinations from the navi.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Apparently, it's a dust magnet.
No no, the dust is around the magnet. The magnet itself is repelling the dust. :D

Someone from NASIOC IDed it as The Phone Dot. http://www.thephonedot.com/

What kind of crap product instructs you to glue a magnet on the back of your phone? I'm sure I can rig up a solution with a cradle, hot glue, and a small magnet, however.

The previous owner of our car left it with this knob-like thing on the dashboard that I assume was for mounting a cell phone holder. However, it's not a ProClip product and a quick Google search didn't turn up any more clues.

Can anyone help me ID the thing? Ideally I'd like to find a way to mount an iPhone holder from it, since it's essentially stuck there forever--I don't think I can remove it without cracking the face of the stereo.
It is a Gaussian carcinoma and must be surgically removed. The long-term prognosis is poor.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
How is it attached? Did you try a heat gun/hair drier and fishing line?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How is it attached? Did you try a heat gun/hair drier and fishing line?
I didn't try that, but if my magnet/cradle experiment fails then I'll return those parts to amazon and try to "debadge" my stereo as you describe above.