Quantcast

What is this tire?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You know how in moto, there are essentially two tire designs? "dirt" and "sand"?

I'm one of the people that thinks that applies to mountain bike tires too (except maybe 'hardpack' 'pretty much everything' and 'mud')

Everything else is just clueless designers screwing up in all kinds of silly directions.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You know how in moto, there are essentially two tire designs? "dirt" and "sand"?

I'm one of the people that thinks that applies to mountain bike tires too (except maybe 'hardpack' 'pretty much everything' and 'mud')

Everything else is just clueless designers screwing up in all kinds of silly directions.
If you ride Pisgah everyday, you wish your tire could change it's tread on demand. Mud, no loam...wait rooty...ah, too slimy, 45 duromter..crap rocks are eating it alive, need 60 durometer small block..crap, almost ate it in that crazy goo leaking out of the bank....semi-slick on this monotonous gritty clay..wait, need a cut spike.

Dang...what do I do.......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well regardless of what you do, it sure isn't 'change tires every 200 feet'

So my point still stands. ;)

Pisgah must be really unusual. I mean everywhere else in the world there's complete uniformity on trails.
based on bizutch's description, in sounds like every level of super mario brothers all in one, in the middle of an earthquake

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

dhr2 and wet screams, done and done. No other tire is necessary.

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I gusta that second tire, it looks rad.
Yeah, the Bling Bling was a great tire. But it was discontinued for a reason. It was a niche tire, and niche tires in a niche discipline don't sell very well. It would be cool to see that tire brought back to life as a 2.3 tubeless ready trail tire, though. I'd dig it on the rear.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, the Bling Bling was a great tire. But it was discontinued for a reason. It was a niche tire, and niche tires in a niche discipline don't sell very well. It would be cool to see that tire brought back to life as a 2.3 tubeless ready trail tire, though. I'd dig it on the rear.
I'd like a fast rolling true 2.3" (not Maxxis 2.3") trail tire with serious sideknobs as well, the name of the tire can be Maxxis Bling Bling or Bontrager something, I don't care.
The Kenda BBG could be awesome as well, but I've heard bad things about Kenda casings (never ridden Kenda tires myself).

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
If you ride Pisgah everyday, you wish your tire could change it's tread on demand. Mud, no loam...wait rooty...ah, too slimy, 45 duromter..crap rocks are eating it alive, need 60 durometer small block..crap, almost ate it in that crazy goo leaking out of the bank....semi-slick on this monotonous gritty clay..wait, need a cut spike.

Dang...what do I do.......
You're welcome

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd like a fast rolling true 2.3" (not Maxxis 2.3") trail tire with serious sideknobs as well, the name of the tire can be Maxxis Bling Bling or Bontrager something, I don't care.
The Kenda BBG could be awesome as well, but I've heard bad things about Kenda casings (never ridden Kenda tires myself).
check out the maxxis advantage tires. available in 2.5", so in reality its like a 2.35". Not full on DH sideknobs, but they work better than you think.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys may have marketed it as a niche tire but that thing was just waiting for all mountain/enduro (or whatever riding a bike down a trail is called these days) markets.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
You guys may have marketed it as a niche tire but that thing was just waiting for all mountain/enduro (or whatever riding a bike down a trail is called these days) markets.
Likely didn't sell because it was a Lopes tire. Good looking tread. 2.35 EXO with 3C rubber and Maxxis has a winning trail bike tire. Pull the molds back out and give it a new name.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Honestly it looks like a worn or cut mignon from the right angle, which would incline me to buy a minyon and ride it till the center section is worn down. I don't have the disposable income to buy pre-worn tires. I actually thought those center knobs were much higher before I googled the name.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
BBG 2.1 UST. bomber. booya. bomber casing.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I think it rains in finland. Hey verskis does it rain in finland? If it rains a lot in finland, forget that bbg thing. But if doesn't rain very much yeah, try those things. They're insanely rad on most things dry.
sure, it will clog in sticky mud, but it would be more versatile than a bling bling in loam, rocks and roots (just IMO).

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I think it rains in finland. Hey verskis does it rain in finland? If it rains a lot in finland, forget that bbg thing. But if doesn't rain very much yeah, try those things. They're insanely rad on most things dry.
In the spring and autumn it rains a lot, in the summer it may or may not rain, but the trails usually dry fast in the summer.
And most of the trails around my location do not get really muddy even when wet, it's the slick roots and rocks that make the riding challenging when it is raining. Therefore those Bontrager tires or Maxxis Bling Blings could work fine all summer if they have decent rubber compound.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'd dig it on the rear.
You filthy little....:think:

Anyway, my post was sarcastic. Isn't that what goes through all of our heads every freaking ride? Ride a section of trail and wish you had a spike, then another section and think you need a tackier compound...then hit that 45 minute paved road climb hearing your knobs whine and long for a semi-slick...

This is MTB. We are not happy unless we are unhappy!