Quantcast

what is TPI and Durometer?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am not sure what TPI is, but I am sure it's NSFW and I will get a nasty virus if I look it up.... Durometer is a gauge of how many Duros per Meter. The more Duros you have in a meter the better. Duros are french for Dollars. Your Welcome....

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
actually, its Trigger Point Injections. the more TPI's, the easier it is for your tires to get high without significant tire over rotation but you must have a high pressure pump and an reliable regulator, do to the higher number of TPI's =ing fewer quality TPI's.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
actually, its Trigger Point Injections. the more TPI's, the easier it is for your tires to get high without significant tire over rotation but you must have a high pressure pump and an reliable regulator, do to the higher number of TPI's =ing fewer quality TPI's.
Oh great, just ruin this thread with accuracy.

Wait why did you ask this question if you knew the answer ?

MMike put you up to it didn't he ?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Funny stuff......

<insert for serious> TPI for tires is threads per inch, the higher TPI, the mroe resistant a tire "can" be to thorns, but more importantly its a tighter weave, using thinner threads that are much closer together, giving the tire a much more supple feel. <<insert for serious>

Stop getting so damn worried for Mtn tires..... just go with what has a good tread.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stop getting so damn worried for Mtn tires..... just go with what has a good tread.
Funny thing is I think that the casing makes more of a difference than tread does. Most of trails around here are hard surfaces, rocks roots and packed clay. A good supple casing that can easily conform to those hard surfaces makes for a better tire than a nice tread. I'd rather have a bald supple tire than a stiff brand new one.

Different story in sand, loam or mud.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I only made that statement because for the most part, Mtn tires are either 60 or 120... difference "Usually" is ust or tt. I agree though, supple is very nice if loose rocky surfaces.

For the most part, I really only look at TPI for the roadie, My favorite tire for generall use is the Vittoria Diamonte, 220 TPI..... Damn good feel to it.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I only made that statement because for the most part, Mtn tires are either 60 or 120... difference "Usually" is ust or tt. I agree though, supple is very nice if loose rocky surfaces.

For the most part, I really only look at TPI for the roadie, My favorite tire for generall use is the Vittoria Diamonte, 220 TPI..... Damn good feel to it.
Those last me less than 500 miles in the back. I just ride Open Corsa EVOs if I'm going to Vittoria. They ride better and last just as long as Diamantes, for whatever reason.

I stick with Vredstein for the most part. Supple and tacky.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Threads per inch used to be pretty important for tubular road tires, the more threads the greater resistance to blowouts which meant you could run high tpi tires at high psi.

Last edited:

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Funny stuff......

<insert for serious> TPI for tires is threads per inch, the higher TPI, the mroe resistant a tire "can" be to thorns, but more importantly its a tighter weave, using thinner threads that are much closer together, giving the tire a much more supple feel. <<insert for serious>

dont give me no lip. i kung fu yur azz!

:rant:

:D