Quantcast

What is Trails?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
man that looks so fun. i like how spread out it is, all the berms (did i see a 360 berm in there?), cruising doubles.... sick!
It is actually either a 180, 360 or 540 berm depending on where you come in and where you leave.

You have to ride it 540 from one line to slow you down or you will land flat from the next dub or ride it 180 and drag brakes.

Its overall a lot smaller than my trails used to be but once its done next year will be a lot easier to detail out and maintain. Since I am 43 now I think this will be my last redo, just detailing and riding from here on out.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
we took a trip south this weekend to some LEGAL TRAILS. They have been there for 10 or so years, off and on but have gotten serious in the last few years. The dirt is horrible. They have started using cement on the lips/landings and did a GREAT job with it.

hard to see but the lip/berm/landing is all cement. it's fast, consistent and grips your tires well. Time will tell if it holds up in the rain/winter.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
hard to see but the lip/berm/landing is all cement. it's fast, consistent and grips your tires well. Time will tell if it holds up in the rain/winter.
Does anybody have an idea on how to properly do this? I've been thinking about it at our trails (at least for the berms as they get torn up pretty easily). Do you just mix some quikrete with dirt and spread it on top? Or do you spread pure quikrete (or something else) on top? What about using the dirt glue stuff they use for bmx tracks... has anybody ever tried that?

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think these guys just spread quickcrete over the packed lips/landings. I was very impressed because I have seen bad 'crete jobs before on dirt. They did the tops all the way down to the flat bottoms.

Their cement is about one inch thick, they said.

I have a friend that did this in his back yard and he used steel bars and chicken wire to hold the cement.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Does anybody have an idea on how to properly do this? I've been thinking about it at our trails (at least for the berms as they get torn up pretty easily). Do you just mix some quikrete with dirt and spread it on top? Or do you spread pure quikrete (or something else) on top? What about using the dirt glue stuff they use for bmx tracks... has anybody ever tried that?

I have done a lot of concrete, well since it kinda part of my job. The first berm that I finished in concrete cracked apart, mainly because of the mix I tried. The second time I used a more traditional 3/2/1 mix, 3 parts silt/sandy soil, 2 parts portland cement and 1 part lime about 1" to 2" thick with a diamond lath embeded. This berm held up great for 3 years even with the harsh winter weather and would still be going strong but I plowed it to change the layout of my trails.

I helped the guys out at Catty with a concrete berm that is doing ok but has needed some patching. Mainly because they have this soil that is pure clay, no sand at all. What happened is that the soil was clumping like crazy as we were mixing so the cement never got mixed evenly, so when winter hit the water would soak into the straight clay and freeze poping little bits apart.

You can see a little of the process in this vid, I am working on it at the :50 and a little later mixing with a roto tiller. . .

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good info, guys, thanks. It sounds like going concrete would be a bit involved, but probably cheaper than using some type of dirt glue. I found this site...

http://www.polypavement.com/application.php

They say you can get a 5 gallon bucket for $200. It's a bit pricey, but it seems like it's a pretty simple application... I think you just spray it on top of the already packed soil.

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
we have tried different things on our trail. from concrete to soiltac. We have a sandy soil and for us the best option is the Tileglue powder.(white stuff) we mix this in the top 10 a 5cm of the toplayer and then pack it. Works the best! We use a full bag of it (10kg) for a medium sized lip. For the sides of the dirts the best option for us is the Soiltac, this can be sprayed on top of the packed sides. This makes the sides rain prove. You can allso mix the soiltac with the dirt.

C_S

Chimp
May 14, 2004
Clovis
Trails is not having to leave your compound and deal with other peoples BS. . .
This is awesome. Gives me all sorts of hope and ideas for things to come on the full acre plus of space I have to build trails on in our new backyard. Just need to plant my forest of eucalyptus so in 5 years I have a bunch of trees....

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
NW trails
PNJ - Beasties followed by EPMD, VanOrman's (one of my favorite vid sections is their Standpoint interview) and lots of misty and buff trails make a dope clip. You guys did a killer job at Lynwoods - I will miss seeing pics and vids from there.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
One week, I guess. Did you ride 'em? did you peep/ride the other jumps nearby?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One week, I guess. Did you ride 'em? did you peep/ride the other jumps nearby?
Rode as much as I had time to.
Fastest I've hit a jump on a hardtail in a Looong time! That place is sick. Only had time to play on that one line though.

Didn't see anything else unfortunately. I was glued to my trail bike the rest of the time. I want to get back up there though. I'll give you a shout for sure if that happens.

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
So bummed that I don't have a place to be digging right now. Went on a scouting mission over the weekend.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
So bummed that I don't have a place to be digging right now. Went on a scouting mission over the weekend.
Wish you were closer to our spot. It's running the best it has ever but no one is around to ride. It's been me and one local the past few weekends. The nice part is it's not too hot or too cold and the trails aren't too dry or wet. But it takes the 2 of us almost an hour just to un-tarp and sweep up with the leaves. He and I are on the top of the deck thinking best time of the year and the place is dialed but no one showing?

BTW - that Catty vid is great although I wish it wasn't all slow motion. Our buddy Hoof is in there right before the 6:00 mark - has a few clips. I think that is Chase Hawk after him but can't tell for sure.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Been digging at a new spot. Private land. nice slope, great dirt. And it's less than ten miles from me. :) downside is, I have to take a ferry boat to get there. $25 bucks for a round trip.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't think the gulch will be chained....
You should stop by and throw some dirt with those fools.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
If the land those jumps are on doesn't get sold, the local 'friends of gulch' group wants to make them legal. someone that doesn't ride is really stoked on them. Legal dirt jumps are the new black.