Quantcast

What is up with this derailleur?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Besides trying it now,

XTR 9000. Chain started falling off the lower pulley and in between the pulley and the cage. I figured it was just a worn pulley, as they looked pretty worn. Installed with the "turbine" side out, like the originals. It looked like the cage had gotten a bit "wide", maybe a little bent, so I proceeded to bend it back. Squeezing was a bad idea, since I then learned the outer cage was carbon when it cracked slightly. I fixed that up with some resin/hardener and it's solid, got the inner cage bent in, but the chain is still falling off and nothing seems to make a difference. Is it that the entire left cage is a little bent/curved right and could be straightened? Never really had this issue before and I'm going to cannabilize some X01 parts from my other bike as I'm getting it ready for the PacNW tonight. Not a big fan of this derailleur, with no sram lock-thing it's annoying and the shifters take a lot of force to change gears (8000). Shifts fine, doesn't wander at all. When the chain derails from the pulley it then leads to the chain falling off the chainring on big hits.
01add94cec88c68794e055670f60928746fd899586.jpg

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Fit a wide-narrow 12T pulley from X01 derailleur on the lower side? That's how I'm running mine, though for s different reason. The teeth on Sram pulley are visibly taller than Shimano's, so that may improve chain retention a little.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good idea, I'll try that. The pulley looks a bit more "angled" now that I have the derailleur off. I'm thinking it's a little off-axis.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Good idea, I'll try that. The pulley looks a bit more "angled" now that I have the derailleur off. I'm thinking it's a little off-axis.
Slightly twisted was going to be my suggestion, not sure how you can easily rectify if that's the case.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The inner cage plate sure looks like it's got a bit of an s bend to it in that picture...