Quantcast

What is your favorite fork and why?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What fork are you running? What is your favorite fork that you have actually gone on a ride with/used? Why do you like it? Have you ever serviced it yourself?

I run a Talas RLC and for what I need it fits the bill. I think it is the best trail bike fork out there. It is light, plenty adjustable, has awesome compression damping, and is pretty solid. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.....jdcamb

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I too run the Talas RLC on my Spot. I would agree that it is one on the best lightest forks on the market.

I just ordered a RLC 80 for my race bike and the DH36 for my Bullit. Fox gets my vote! Plus they are one of my sponors for '05 :thumb:

J

JRB

I would buy another Talas, but it seems not so plush sometimes. I have never set it up perfectly. I am still tinkering, but would buy another one. I like it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
I would buy another Talas, but it seems not so plush sometimes. I have never set it up perfectly. I am still tinkering, but would buy another one. I like it.
If you think your Talas is not plush then you are doing something wrong, or it is broken.

I have a Talas and a Float 100. I love both forks but couldn't say one is better than the other because they are for different kinds of bikes. I will just say that Fox air forks are my favorite. Stiff, smooth and dependable.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
26" = Surly
29" = Kelly

Why I like them? Light, install and forget, no bob, precision steering.

Service? What's that?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have a TALAS RLC on my Blur and a Float RLC on my singlespeed. Both seem to perform about the same. I never use the travel adjustment on the TALAS, so for me the Float seems to be more practical. It's a little lighter and a little less complicated.

I've never tried to service either of them though.

J

JRB

Westy said:
If you think your Talas is not plush then you are doing something wrong, or it is broken.

I have a Talas and a Float 100. I love both forks but couldn't say one is better than the other because they are for different kinds of bikes. I will just say that Fox air forks are my favorite. Stiff, smooth and dependable.
Yeah - I changed the oil after it seems to get chattery, but it still does it. I don't know if it's broken or not. I haven't ridden anyone else's.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I love my new TALAS too. The Fox bushing arrangement (which causes that slight clunking in the bushings if you're not riding it) is just amazingly smooth off the initial stroke. The travel adjust on the TALAS is awesome. I use it all the time and like it better than simple lockouts or lock-downs. Makes sense for climbing out here in CA...climb for 3 hours up a huge mountain, then descend it in 45 min...helps to have a fork that accomodates both without much fuss or even a change in spring rate.

For DH stuff, I'm a fan of the Manitou TPC+ damped Shermans and the Dorado (SPV blows, literally), with Marzocchi always making a solid showing. Looking forward to seeing/trying the Fox 40 and 36 forks (hooray for TALAS again; I'll probably get one once the chassis has proven itself over a model year or so...and maybe the price comes down.) The new-model White Bros. forks look interesting, too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hmmm.........

Favorite fork.......... has to be the Psylo, I guess - 'cause that's what's on my bike and it ain't broke. :thumb:

I've only owned 3 forks my whole life. A RS Judy SL (the elastomer-stack one from ~'95), a Zoke Bomber Z2 (~'98 vintage), and the Psylo.......

-S.S.-

Edit: I guess that's not technically true. I had a rigid fork from '92-'96.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
loco said:
Yeah - I changed the oil after it seems to get chattery, but it still does it. I don't know if it's broken or not. I haven't ridden anyone else's.
Try a hair less air pressure Loco and see how it feels that way.

I was running their prescribed air pressure and my Talas never felt awesome (good but not awesome).

So I entered into a trade with a guy for a Z1 FR right before Dalton last year........and while I was at the race I lowered the PSI just a little bit and it performed awesome there. Problem was that the guy on the other end of the trade had already shipped me the Zoke the friday of the race weekend so when I got back I was kind of obligated to honor the trade.

Now I wish I had my old Talas back. :(

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i'd have to say my all time favorite is an Avy DHF-8
but at the moment i have 2 888s. they are my favorite fork. i want a tiny 888 for my XC bike now. the all mtn?
hrm

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got a TALAS R. The only thing I have to compare it to are lower end RS forks (Judy/Judy TT, Jett) and a Manitou SX-E. The RS suck, the Manitou is very good for what it is. But the fox blows them all away. Stiffer, smoother, more plush. Adjustability isn't a huge issue for me, so the R is fine. I'd buy one again as a trailbike fork, probably wouldn't buy one for and XC ride (it's overkill for my kind of XC... a lighter 100mm fork would be better).

Never tried to service it - only had it one season.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
Try a hair less air pressure Loco and see how it feels that way.

I was running their prescribed air pressure and my Talas never felt awesome (good but not awesome).

So I entered into a trade with a guy for a Z1 FR right before Dalton last year........and while I was at the race I lowered the PSI just a little bit and it performed awesome there. Problem was that the guy on the other end of the trade had already shipped me the Zoke the friday of the race weekend so when I got back I was kind of obligated to honor the trade.

Now I wish I had my old Talas back. :(
The recommended pressure is only a basic guidline. With differences in head angle, stem length, wheelbase, etc.. from bike to bike the amount of pressure required for in the samd fork for the same rider on a different bike can be very different. The best way to start out is with a sag measurement then alter to taste

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy said:
The recommended pressure is only a basic guidline. With differences in head angle, stem length, wheelbase, etc.. from bike to bike the amount of pressure required for in the samd fork for the same rider on a different bike can be very different. The best way to start out is with a sag measurement then alter to taste

Now you tell me! ;)

I'm considering a 2005 Fox Fork for the Hollowpoint. The least expensive option is a Vanilla 130, but the next in line is a float 130 - I'm wondering if the float might be the way to go or should I save a few and go Vanilla?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have only really ridden 3 forks. A manitou black on my xc bike, a breakout + on my imp & a jr. t on la's bullit. I have to say my fav would be the breakout+. it is super stiff & feels great Dh'ing or riding street. I would really like an SID for my xc bike. I have never serviced any of our forks & prolly wont, due to the high probability that i would F' one up for good. :dead:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Never tried Fox stuff, but hear good things about them. They seem to be pretty expensive, though.

My favorite that I currently own is my TPC+ Sherman Firefly on my Craftworks. Trouble-free and it performs great on small drops, over roots, and through rock gardens.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MMcG said:
Now you tell me! ;)

I'm considering a 2005 Fox Fork for the Hollowpoint. The least expensive option is a Vanilla 130, but the next in line is a float 130 - I'm wondering if the float might be the way to go or should I save a few and go Vanilla?

I have a Vanilla 125 on mine and love it.
However, if the float 125 (or 130) was available when I bought, I'd get that.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I am a big fan of Marzocchis b/c of their ride quality and ease of service. Manitou has too linear of a spring rate for my likings, and as for RS, well... Their Boxxer is very easy to service, but the seals keep blowing.
I recently worked on a Fox RL 125 coil and was very impressed by the design. It was like they looked at the best atributes of a Marz, but then took it one step further. I think its rad that you can adjust a Fox coil fork to 80, 100, or 125mm of travel in about 20 minutes.
I have owned:
Shiver
Boxxer
Judy DH (and it still works!)
Z1 CR
Manitou X-Vert DH

The only one that I really don't like is the Manitou. In addition to the spring rate, the seals were completely ineffective. When riding in the wet/rain, I could see bubbles/hear air hissing from around the wipers.
Lately I have become a big fan of "middle of the road" forks. They tend to be the easiest to work on, and a little less complicated than the top of the line stuff. Easier to work on tends to mean that it will last longer.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
MMcG said:
BB - why would you opt for the float over the Vanilla? Adjustability? Weight savings?
Weight is the biggest difference. I can't remember the differences on adjustability, but the Fox air forks give you fewer travel options. Some are not adjustable travel wise, but I believe that is limited to the XC race forks.
Check their website and read the service manuals. Or give tham a call. Their techs are nice and knowledgable.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
'04 Z1 FR QR20. Very (almost too) active and tracks the ground very well w/ full rebound dampening engaged. However, I think changing the oil from a 7.5 to a 10wt might make the rebound even better and more adjustable. My ETA slips a bit and if I use it on any setting other than full engaged, it doesn't do anything. I think oil level or viscocity might have something to do w/ this. I want to figure this out so I can slow down the compression a bit at times. There's no detectable wheel flex w/ the 20mm and I changed the QR to the bolt kind. I rode it last season w/o any attention, but I think I'll start messing (at least w/ the oil wts and levels) before this season starts. It needed 5 lbs of air in the spring leg to keep from bottoming. This fork is matched to a Romic Twin D w/ Ti spring. With the way the Romic is, kinda slow, the fork is too quick w/ the 7.5wt. This is on a '04 Enduro Pro trail bike w/ 130mm frt & rr. Weight is there, but not really noticable. Whole bike is in the area of 27#s w/ some IRC 2.25 Trailbears and Stans & XTR.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ditto for the Fox forks. Expensive but flawless.

Another "coup de coeur" would have to be a 2000 Z1 QR20.

Stiff, semi-light, and oh soooo plush.

I do like the feel of the Sherman line to, but haven't spent enough time on it to give it a fair review.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i have a fox talas RLC which feels awesome, but i haven't done enough rides on it to really say it's my favorite. the z1 is a totally reliable, well-performing fork.

for DH, i'd say a boxxer. yeah the seals suck but we'll see how much life i can get out the enduro seals. the feel of the fork is outstanding. way better than the super T i had (although not quite as nice as my monster T, but a whole lot less weight).

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I too am going to jump behind the Fox Talas RLC. I came from (in order) RS Indy C, RS SID XC, Marz z3 air. I have also ridden more then a few times a Marz Z1. The Talas is the perfect do all fork for me. The combination of weight, plushness and stiffness make it for a great heavy duty trail fork. That being said I could probably do just as well with the new Float 130 RLC as I have never used the travel adjustment on the fork, but when I bought my Heckler it was the only 5" Travel air fork from Fox.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've had quite a few forks and right now I am running a TALAS RLC on my VT and a Shiver on my Tomac. They are probably my favorite forks of the ones I've tried. The Shiver has been totally reliable and great and the TALAS is just a great overall package. It doesn't feel as plush as my Vanilla 125 did, but, then again, I never got the spring rate to work well for me on that fork.

Oh, and I have a rigid aluminum fork on my Empella. I guess that one's good in its own way.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I think my favorite bike fork is my current TALAS RLC. It feels smooth, is easily adjustable and is reasonably stiff with a Ti QR.

My favorite backpacking fork is a titanium one I got from a Mountain Hardwear rep. It's light, easy to clean and spears my food like any reliable fork should.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Forks I've ridden:

'98 Judy TT
'99 Judy Race
'00 SID XC
'01 MARS Super
'03 Talas R
'04 Foat 100 RL
'04 Talas RLC

MY favorite is by far the Talas RLC, I only wished the compression dampening adjustment actually "did" something on the 2004 models like it does on the 2005's. I think I'm going to send it to Push Industries and have them service it next fall after the season winds down.

BillT

Monkey
Here are the forks that I have owned:

C'dale DD60 headshock
'99 Z2-BAM
X-Vert Super
Jr. T
TALAS RLC
Z1 Drop Off

Of all of these, the TALAS is my favorite. Its light, stiff, adjustable, and has performed pretty much flawlessly for the last 6 months or so that I've owned. My second favorite would have been the Z2. For its time, that was a great fork - minimal maintenance, external preload, rebound and compression all in a pretty stiff (though not very lightweight) package.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Pau11y said:
'04 Z1 FR QR20. Very (almost too) active and tracks the ground very well w/ full rebound dampening engaged. However, I think changing the oil from a 7.5 to a 10wt might make the rebound even better and more adjustable......snip
I did that to my Z1 and to my Shiver. In both cases, it made the fork act exactly as I prefer. It gave me a much wider usable damping range.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Repack said:
Pau11y said:
'04 Z1 FR QR20. Very (almost too) active and tracks the ground very well w/ full rebound dampening engaged. However, I think changing the oil from a 7.5 to a 10wt might make the rebound even better and more adjustable......snip

I did that to my Z1 and to my Shiver. In both cases, it made the fork act exactly as I prefer. It gave me a much wider usable damping range.
I did that to my Z1 and to my Shiver. In both cases, it made the fork act exactly as I prefer. It gave me a much wider usable damping range.I did that to my Z1 and to my Shiver. In both cases, it made the fork act exactly as I prefer. It gave me a much wider usable damping range.
I moved up to 10wt for my buddys Z1 and also increased the oil level by 5cc on the rebound side. Kind of matched the fork to his weight/riding style. Works like a dream now....jdcamb

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I can't believe no one has said cannondale lefty. I do not own one but ive ridden, Talas, Vanilla, Sherman, slider plus, 888r,z1, pike etc... and out of all these the Lefty simply blows it away. Pound for Pound it is the stiffest fork out there, The maintence is extrememely easy and it has the most controlled travel ive ever felt. The talas felt nice but for XC riding it just felt way to overreactive for my taste. The smallest hits would make it wallow in its travel even with high amounts of air pressure. You can get the lefty in SPV, TPC or Fox inertia now oh yeah and you can get a CARBON one that weighs 3.1 ibs. The cornering of them is unmatched by anything. I just can't say enough about them. If you want to question the stength just watch Cedric Gracia the next time he races 4x and tell me they are not strong. The only negative is that they are a pain to mount to bike racks. Oh yeah and another sper sweet thing is YOU CAN CHANGE FLATS WITHOUT TAKING OFF THE TIRE. They are a little weird at first but once you get used to the 1 leg everything from there is AWSOME.