Quantcast

What is your favorite fork and why?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Im loving my new WB DH 2.0

Its my favorite fork as of now, its not even broken in all the way yet still feels great, not to mention its got tons of adjustments, and feels nice and smooth. Its also the stiffest inverted fork ive ever ridden, 7.7lbs and it looks tits :D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
2000 Manitou Xvert. For those of you (several in this thread) who have ridden a quality TPC+ fork, you know what I'm talking about. It wasn't the lightest and certainly wasn't the stiffest, but the fork flat out worked, and was smokin deal at around $100 when I bought mine. We'd be hard pressed to try and find a fork that packs that much performance at that price. I still wish I didn't sell it...

I too have to give it up for Fox stuff, blah blah blah. They're stuff is still expensive as hell, but I was lucky to get hooked up big on mine.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Forks I have owned:
Headshock Super
Lefty
Duke Race
JR T
SuperT
DJ 2
Shiver DC
Breakout
Forks I have now;
Boxxer WC(black boxxed)
Reba Team
SID Team

Favs' of what i had would be the Breakout I had on my Evil,super stiff and plush.As far as what I have now the Boxxer is the best dual crown I have ever raced,light weight,very responsive.The SID on my SS was bought because of my inner weight weenie.I'm not impressed with this fork.This is the only fork I have ever felt flex.The Reba has been impressive so far and seems to be a good match to the Superlight.Need more time on it to give it a good review

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
05 rock shox pike team, without the remote handlebar junk.

hovers right at about 5# with the 20mm axle setup.

rides like i've always wanted a fork to ride. strong enough for my non-hardcore punk ass 140 pounds.

adjustments/damping that actually work the way i want them to.

the 20mm maxle thingy is a no brainer, it's so easy/nice to have.

perfect blend of features in a single crown trailbike fork.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Curb Hucker said:
Im loving my new WB DH 2.0

Its my favorite fork as of now, its not even broken in all the way yet still feels great, not to mention its got tons of adjustments, and feels nice and smooth. Its also the stiffest inverted fork ive ever ridden, 7.7lbs and it looks tits :D
Dude, I don't know. I'd put up my Mr Dirt against any inverted fork and the majority of the upright forks on stiffness. Those FAT forks are kinda stupid large and hefty. They don't really move unless you pack it in hard enough to dig a trench w/ your face, and then they'll just come down on top of you and beat the living crap out of you!

I'd say the only other fork that'll pummel you harder would be the T2 and the SuperMonster. Altho a Stratos S8 might do a pretty good job too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Fox have their forx dialed in right. i'm one of the many who appreciate having a Talas although mine's "only" an RL hehe.... But it's plush, yet firm on the hits, tracks well doesn't flex, doesn't have stiction like most air forks, is super lightweight and is easily adjustable. What more can you really ask for.

i'm in the process of buying a Rock Shox Boxxer Ride for my Bullit. i'm going to sell the plusher Boxxer World Cup just because i'm such a fan of variable travel.

and on that note, i've always been on the variable travel bandwagon since the psylo, i'm totally stoked that the option is becoming standard on all these forks. For my preference, rebound and compression dials can be dialed in to a certain happy medium and left alone, lockout is rarely used unless i have a long stint on pavement, but the variable travel adjustment get's used alot. i'm dialing it down for big climbs, will sit in the middle for XC, and fully extend for when i need the travel and need to be slacked out. Waffles.....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hrm if you ever go in the Downhill forum, Brian wrote a review of it already....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
Well he really DID just get it...I didn't realize he'd had a chance to ride on it yet, yet alone enough to determine it is his favorite fork...
Sounds like a MTBR moment....... :D

"I just got this fork, and man.... it's the shizzle! Best fork ever made. I've had it for a week and haven't actually ridden on it, but I recommend it to everybody! 5 chilis for SURE!"

-S.S.-

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Um......You don't have a 66.......

Anyway, I would say Aside from the Z-150 I have now (which is sweet, don't get me wrong.) I would say my favorite out of DH forks is a 888. Rode one for a few days, and fell in love with it.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i loved my z2 atom 80 so much... it was the best fork i've ever ridden. I remember once i totally thought i was gonna eat it, but it soaked it up like nothing. 80 mm never felt like so much. Someday i'm going to find the fu**er that stole it and beat him down.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Best feeling fork was the 888 that i got to ride on the rental bike at Whistler. Blows my Breakout + out of the water. Damn SPV....

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My vote's for the new Avy DHF-8Ti for DH.
'02 Shiver was my favorite till I picked up the Avy.

Fave SC is the Breakout +. Long travel without smashing my knees on a top crown, stiff for what it is, and feels plush as fook.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Rip said:
I like the tracking of the Z1.
My fav too for trail riding. I don't want to sound cleché so I'll say it's very nice on the squishability factor. Also, like Rip says, tracking is dead on. :D
For DH, it's my frankenstein'd Mr Dirt w/ ext compression. Once I figured this thing out and tuned it, it's now SUCH a nice and compliant fork, but stiffer than a 2ft glue-lam beam.
For fast XC, I have a Z2 Atom 80 '01 vintage that's sooo butterific for a 80mm fork.
Lastly, for road it's the Ouzo Pro. This fork has more meat than the Mizumo full carbon that's on the De Rosa which can be good and bad. It has less vib absorption than the Miz, but I like it when I jump up and stomp.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
crono35 said:
i loved my z2 atom 80 so much... it was the best fork i've ever ridden. I remember once i totally thought i was gonna eat it, but it soaked it up like nothing. 80 mm never felt like so much. Someday i'm going to find the fu**er that stole it and beat him down.
It ain't me. I got mine from BikesMart.com

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
My old skool 98 Z1 CR.
Plush,well damped,and simple to service,not that it needs much,an oil change every 6 months and one set of seals and bushings since new. :cool:

And 888's for DH,mmmm Marzocchi goodness! :heart:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Forks ridden:
Super t
Slider +
Dirtjumper 2
Fox float 100 RL

For xc the float is really sweet but thats the only fork ive ridden for xc and i barely ever ride it anyways.

but for freeride an DH my favorite fork was the super t i had on my old bighit. It was super easy to work on and nice and plush and easily adjustable. The spv in the slider plus i dont like very much. stiffens it up to much and it doesnt seem to track quite as good since it doesnt absorb things as good. Not sure if im just imagining it or its actually like that.

Went from a Psylo SL which kept blowing dampers to an '01 Z1, which is simple and to the point. It does lose oil from the seals, even after replacement, and I would like a bar mounted control for the lockout. If I was going to buy something new without too much research, it'd probably be a Z150.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Of the forks I've owned...

(granted, all are out of production right now...)

#1. '99 Monster T. After being serviced by Marzocchi USA, that fork felt awesome. Sooooo smooth... "bottomless" Sadly, I was never ever to duplicate that feeling again tuning it on my own... :( The best attribute of that fork was its ability to save you from dire line choice errors. I probably owe my life to that fork for saving me from myself during my early Expert DH racing years.

#2. My '00 Boxxer after Shaums March fiddled with it. Hot damn! :eek: Smooth and light... however, without the ass-saving ability of the Monster T.

#3. For XC, my '99 Marzocchi Super Fly. Pretty much the lightest fork 'zoke as offered. All the of X-flys and Marathons after it have been heavier, although with more travel. But with my '97 hardtail, I don't need more travel. At the moment it desperately needs service... which has been neglected over the past 6 years...

#4. My Z-1 "Dual" built from a '97 Z-1 and a '98 Mr T. 4" of perfect dirtjumping fork. Stiff, but not too heavy. And has a bit of "rarely" bling to it.

#5. A funky "homemade" SID I bought off the web back in '99. Had a SID crown assembly, Judy lowers, and an Englund Total Air kit. Turned out to be a really smooth fork. Stupid light. Like 2.5 lbs. Unfortunately, it was so flexy even I could notice it and I sold it for the Super Fly.

#6. My old workhorse '97 Z-2. What goes on the Indy Fab when the other forks failed me... Classic Marzocchi plushness.