Quantcast

What is your go to tire for loose over hard?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
For dust on hardpack and pockets of deeper dust, Assegai. I found the Wild Enduro worked pretty well too but haven't ridden it since the start of Covid when they became unobtainium. I have a buddy who really likes the DH34 for similar conditions but with some gravels mixed in, but he's on an moped so doesn't care about 1500g up front.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
DHF 24/7

F & R - Old school Sam Hill style.

I will do Assguy, but the DHF is the best IMO. Plus you can get it in all the sizes, durometers, casing known to Maxxis man.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Been dhf x dhf forever on trail and dh bike.
On the dh bike I have gone to the assagai
Front assagai 2.5 dh case 3c max grip,
Rear dhf 2.5 dh case 3c max grip as always

holy Fook the assagai is a heavy tire but the grip is worth it. Oh that bike

On the trail bike I usually
Dhf 2.5 exo Max grip front.
Dhf 2.5 dd or dh max grip rear.

I tried an assagai 2.5 exo+ max grip up front holy mother of fk it was slow up and down. More grip on transition but I don't think it has much more on the corner knobs. Two rides and I was back on my dhf.

I got to thinking about slow rolling I bought a minion ss 2.5 dh case. I've always been skeptical about these thought they would skate around. However I like it alot. Those short wider center knobs and lesser channel eliminate the drift zone but don't inhibit the corner knobs. Seems to have the ultimate corner grip of a dhf but without the drift zone. And the rolling is good. Braking is as good as a worn dhf.....

It's a bit strange not feeling the dhf drift in the back after riding them exclusively for so long, sort of a useful indication in a way. Its almost like without that I'm not sure how much more I have up front....

I may put the assagai back up front with the ss out back and see if the overall rolling resistance is more manageable but I've been looking at other options.

I've been curious about a dhr up front, bigger corner knobs wider center knobs slightly less channel.
I wish there was a 2.5" dhr exo or exo+ in max grip. Closest is a 2.6 exo+ in max terra.
Last 2.6 I rode i immediately bought 2.5s and gave the 2.6 away foldy squirmy bouncy mess..... l

Maybe the exo+ will make the small 2.6 ok but I'm skeptical..... and it's max terra which I don't think will help on hardpack. and a 2.4 won't do I'm on 35mm internal rims and 2.5 rear tires.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
so much princess and pea shit up in here. where's that fucking pic i made a while back...
672.png

It's kinda hard to beat the dhf....
I mean yeah the assagai might have infinitely more grip vs the dhf drift zone, but ultimate grip on the corner knobs is similar enough. So what you get is less drift zone for Hella slow rolling....
I'm just looking for something slightly less washy on loose over hard or slightly slower to wash then the dhf but similar rolling.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
For dust on hardpack and pockets of deeper dust, Assegai. I found the Wild Enduro worked pretty well too but haven't ridden it since the start of Covid when they became unobtainium. I have a buddy who really likes the DH34 for similar conditions but with some gravels mixed in, but he's on an moped so doesn't care about 1500g up front.
Ordered 2 rear 29x2.4 Wild Enduros on Amazon for $49ea May 8th. They just shipped from Amazon in Italy Tuesday. $103 for 2 tires is a bargain! My favorite tires for my Evil Offering!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Depends on your approach and if you like controlled sliding or not. I keep coming back to High Rollers F/R for that type of stuff because if I'm going to slide, I want it to be on my terms, and have a catch at the end, rather than be fighting a slide when I need it to be catching. I also love their straightline braking over the Assegai on the dusty stuff. HR/HRII will straighten itself under hard braking and Assegai will allow some twist.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Just rode snow summit with the dh bike today. Assagai Rollin slow on the jump trails.

It got me thinking.
I'm tempted to shorten and create longer ramps on the exo+ assagai ive got for my trail bike.....
I do have a tire grooving tool.... hmmm...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Depends on your approach and if you like controlled sliding or not. I keep coming back to High Rollers F/R for that type of stuff because if I'm going to slide, I want it to be on my terms, and have a catch at the end, rather than be fighting a slide when I need it to be catching. I also love their straightline braking over the Assegai on the dusty stuff. HR/HRII will straighten itself under hard braking and Assegai will allow some twist.
I've never ran a high roller how much does it differ from a dhf?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Significantly. Personally I hated the DHF. Squirmed under braking and would squirm then give away on the sidekicks. Never liked it on hardpack. Worked great in loam and mulch where literally every tire works well. Supposed to do well in wet stuff with all the sipes which I could see it doing. So does the Assegai.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's markedly faster IME, but with less traction that you'd expect from less knobs. The REI here has a hard-on for them, no DHRs, just walls of HRs. Lot of resorts used them too because they were relatively cheap over Minions IMO.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Significantly. Personally I hated the DHF. Squirmed under braking and would squirm then give away on the sidekicks. Never liked it on hardpack. Worked great in loam and mulch where literally every tire works well. Supposed to do well in wet stuff with all the sipes which I could see it doing. So does the Assegai.
Squirmed on the front or rear?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Personally I hated the DHF. Squirmed under braking and would squirm then give away on the sidekicks.
Only ever found that behaviour from DHFs if running too low pressure. And it happens way more easily with an EXO casing meaning 30psi min front for me with those

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Just rode snow summit with the dh bike today. Assagai Rollin slow on the jump trails.

It got me thinking.
I'm tempted to shorten and create longer ramps on the exo+ assagai ive got for my trail bike.....
I do have a tire grooving tool.... hmmm...
I switched to Magic Mary for this reason. More ramped and doesn't have the big center lug that the Assegai has.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like the Assegai in the wet but when things get dry it picks up and slings so many fucking rocks that if I need anything bead blasted I could just zip tie it to my downtube. Some ramps would help with that.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Went for broke on this new trail bike - 2.4 Rekon in the back and 2.5wt Aggressor in the front. Never had either before but seems to be getting along with the loose over hard that we live with in the desert.

Typically I run a DHF 2.5wt in the front and a WTB Riddler 2.4 in the back. Love those semi slicks for desert riding!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Early impressions of the Conti Kryptotal combo (DH casing, Super Soft front/Soft rear) are good. Only ridden them in dry, semi-loose conditions so far but they're predictable and brake extremely well without rolling like total ass or feeling squirmy. The profile is a bit on the square side (30mm internal rims) but not wildly so. TBD how they do on wet roots and rocks (the rubber feels soft-ish but not crazy gooey so they might not be amazing there). No real notes on durability yet but so far so good and the casing feels stout, and rides pretty well.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The knob trimming seems to have sped it up a bit on hardpack it now feels like riding on dirt rather than molasses

Regarding rolling resistance, on hardpack 9.5 out of 10. On looser dirt 9 out of 10 with the dhf as the 10. May be down to the fact its an exo+ and I usually use an exo.

Grip wise it's still got more than a dhf, but does feel different.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The knob trimming seems to have sped it up a bit on hardpack it now feels like riding on dirt rather than molasses

Regarding rolling resistance, on hardpack 9.5 out of 10. On looser dirt 9 out of 10 with the dhf as the 10. May be down to the fact its an exo+ and I usually use an exo.

Grip wise it's still got more than a dhf, but does feel different.
Casing thickness has a huge effect on rolling speed.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I want a 29" Maxxis Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber for the rear.
Only have DD in MaxxGrip. :mad:

edit - oh ya, throw on the DHR2 side knobs while you are at it,

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sometimes the combo's Maxxis offers just seems a bit :twitch: :fie: :doh:
With 26 mtb tread paterns, 3 wheelsizes and more than one width in most of those, 5 casings. 6 compounds, tubeless and non and two beads to choose from you're unlikely to get every configuration.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I want a 29" Maxxis Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber for the rear.
Only have DD in MaxxGrip. :mad:
Man, I love the Dissector for a rear tire when it's fresh but it just disintegrates. The same small knobs that make it roll and drift so well just disappear in like 10-15k of descending. (DD / MG version, but I see the same thing on friends running the EXO+/MT).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
HR2’s pumped up close to 40psi(w/inserts) are definitely fantastic on loose over hardpack.
I was very skeptical and then I tried that setup at Trestle and Bootleg. You have to COMMIT though, people.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
HR2’s pumped up close to 40psi(w/inserts) are definitely fantastic on loose over hardpack.
I was very skeptical and then I tried that setup at Trestle and Bootleg. You have to COMMIT though, people.
Definitely! The drift point on HR's when cornering is wide. Compared to like a DHF. Never could get used to that feeling. I remember Peaty and Minaar running them like all the time back in the day and thinking...how do they do that?!

I just watched that (again) last night! :)