Quantcast

What is your go to tire for loose over hard?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I swear i’m not trolling! Jd Swanguen (he of jr silver medal at Fort Bill dh worlds a) swears by hard Af highrollers on loose-over. I’m gonna take a San Diego kids word for it
The wee knobs are so very predictable if you tune out all the casing roll. Skrrrt skrrt, as the kids say.

For loose over hardpack that isn’t 100% dry, a rock hard dhr2 with a real hard hr2 out back steps out just right.

(sign me up for the maxxterra Dissector club too, please)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I want a 29" Maxxis Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber for the rear.
Only have DD in MaxxGrip. :mad:
I was gonna say check the DH casings cos from memory they're barely heavier than the DD on the Dissector but I checked and no MaxxTerra.

Wonder if something like a Orange stripe Hans Dampf or something would work for you. Although those things lose knobs fast, the Dissector does too so might be worth a go.

I just watched that (again) last night! :)
Fuck thats a great flick. Crazy good cinematography too.

I gotta figure a way to either get fitter (too much effort really), better (not likely) or faster rolling in the next few weeks. 3 - 5 seconds per stage slower than the winner at the last race and its come down to the last round points wise. My rear tyre is flogged and has three plugs in it so might try to replace it with a narrower 2.3 DHR2 before the last race. Even if I can't beat the guy overall I'd like a couple of stage wins off him at least. Stupid pedally stages

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I was gonna say check the DH casings cos from memory they're barely heavier than the DD on the Dissector but I checked and no MaxxTerra.

Wonder if something like a Orange stripe Hans Dampf or something would work for you. Although those things lose knobs fast, the Dissector does too so might be worth a go.

Fuck thats a great flick. Crazy good cinematography too.

I gotta figure a way to either get fitter (too much effort really), better (not likely) or faster rolling in the next few weeks. 3 - 5 seconds per stage slower than the winner at the last race and its come down to the last round points wise. My rear tyre is flogged and has three plugs in it so might try to replace it with a narrower 2.3 DHR2 before the last race. Even if I can't beat the guy overall I'd like a couple of stage wins off him at least. Stupid pedally stages
idk about your moisture content, but the ss is free herspewer

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
tried a Minion SS? They corner just like a 2.3 DHF when leant over as they share the same side knob patern but the SS rolls massively faster. Transitioning from semi slick to the edge when leaning in isn't actually all that dissimilar to the drift zone of a DHF. but it won't't hold a line as well when upright and has poor braking performance in every situation.
They used to be available in a maxxgrip DH casing version but i'm not sure if they still are. I prefer the Exo+ in dual compound. Obviously I have to run higher rear pressure and accept it has less tacky side knobs. But i think it works better with higher pressure for more supportive sidewalls and for those edge knobs to dig in but also to keep them from dragging when upright. It's also not super rocky anywhere round here though

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
tried a Minion SS? They corner just like a 2.3 DHF when leant over as they share the same side knob patern but the SS rolls massively faster. Transitioning from semi slick to the edge when leaning in isn't actually all that dissimilar to the drift zone of a DHF. but it won't't hold a line as well when upright and has poor braking performance in every situation.
They used to be available in a maxxgrip DH casing version but i'm not sure if they still are. I prefer the Exo+ in dual compound. Obviously I have to run higher rear pressure and accept it has less tacky side knobs. But i think it works better with higher pressure for more supportive sidewalls and for those edge knobs to dig in but also to keep them from dragging when upright. It's also not super rocky anywhere round here though
i think they transistion better than the dhf really

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hard High Rollers let that row of sideknobs act like a blade without the casing squirming. They do better at low pressure when you're trying to get grip on large sandstone or granite rocks which lets those open patches do their thing.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If the new EXO+ is better than the old version, it may be enough, but why no DD MaxxTerra?
Not like there are pedally bits, or places you need tough, but maybe not glue like grip...

Sometimes the combo's Maxxis offers just seems a bit :twitch: :fie: :doh:
Seriously, they lack common sense with some of their offerings. People who want the Dissector up front want it in max grip or maxx terra with Exo or Exo+ casing, paired with a trail tire in the rear. People who run the Dissector in the rear want it with maxx terra and DD or Exo+, paired with an enduro front tire like Assegai. No one is asking for a DD maxx grip.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Another of Maxxis' problems of not offering the right combos: Every DH casing they sell has MaxxGrip rubber. They must think that DH bikes are only used for race runs. No practice runs, no park days, no shuttling. Only maximum grip with minimum life for every rear DH tire they sell.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Another of Maxxis' problems of not offering the right combos: Every DH casing they sell has MaxxGrip rubber. They must think that DH bikes are only used for race runs. No practice runs, no park days, no shuttling. Only maximum grip with minimum life for every rear DH tire they sell.
That is straight up retarded. Back when I raced DH I always rode the sticky icky tires but if I was to DH again I would want something that lasted more than 3 days.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
totally agree, with 1 exception. You can still get dual compound DHF in DH casing… which is IMO the perfect rear tire for tough guy trail bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Maxxis can be a nightmare to find what you want in stock here as in the UK they have a few different distribution channels and each distributor doesn't hold full stock of every available option. ie. there are variants available in France/Germany that are simply not available through UK shops.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Been dhf x dhf forever on trail and dh bike.
On the dh bike I have gone to the assagai
Front assagai 2.5 dh case 3c max grip,
Rear dhf 2.5 dh case 3c max grip as always

holy Fook the assagai is a heavy tire but the grip is worth it. Oh that bike

On the trail bike I usually
Dhf 2.5 exo Max grip front.
Dhf 2.5 dd or dh max grip rear.

I tried an assagai 2.5 exo+ max grip up front holy mother of fk it was slow up and down. More grip on transition but I don't think it has much more on the corner knobs. Two rides and I was back on my dhf.

I got to thinking about slow rolling I bought a minion ss 2.5 dh case. I've always been skeptical about these thought they would skate around. However I like it alot. Those short wider center knobs and lesser channel eliminate the drift zone but don't inhibit the corner knobs. Seems to have the ultimate corner grip of a dhf but without the drift zone. And the rolling is good. Braking is as good as a worn dhf.....

It's a bit strange not feeling the dhf drift in the back after riding them exclusively for so long, sort of a useful indication in a way. Its almost like without that I'm not sure how much more I have up front....

I may put the assagai back up front with the ss out back and see if the overall rolling resistance is more manageable but I've been looking at other options.

I've been curious about a dhr up front, bigger corner knobs wider center knobs slightly less channel.
I wish there was a 2.5" dhr exo or exo+ in max grip. Closest is a 2.6 exo+ in max terra.
Last 2.6 I rode i immediately bought 2.5s and gave the 2.6 away foldy squirmy bouncy mess..... l

Maybe the exo+ will make the small 2.6 ok but I'm skeptical..... and it's max terra which I don't think will help on hardpack. and a 2.4 won't do I'm on 35mm internal rims and 2.5 rear tires.
Interesting about the SS Minion. I read a few reviews that said as much as it rolled faster than a DHF proper, it was slower than other SS tyres.

On the back of that, I bought 2 SS tyres: Schwalbe Rock Razor and E13 LG1. We'll see how they go. They will be replacing some DHR IIs in Maxxgrip, so anything will be faster than that, but I'm hoping to find something heavier duty casing wise that still rolls pretty quick.

Still annoyed I can't find DHRIIs in Maxx Terra, DH casing...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The dual compound SS is the fastest rolling version.
Don't go too low on PSI tho or the edge knobs will contact too much when riding in a straight line increasing resistance.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The dual compound SS is the fastest rolling version.
Don't go too low on PSI tho or the edge knobs will contact too much when riding in a straight line increasing resistance.
Yeah, I think the SS would work better if it was a little more round. It's basically on the same profile as the DHR, but without the center knobs so the side knobs are kinda high relative to the center of the tire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I think the SS would work better if it was a little more round. It's basically on the same profile as the DHR, but without the center knobs so the side knobs are kinda high relative to the center of the tire.
so its not just me that noticed that

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Put the RR on. It's a 27.5 x 2.35 on a 32mm IW rim. Rolls pretty good, no complaints in the first voyage, but major caveat is that the dirt was hero tack today. We'll see how they go in dry and dusty conditions.
Screenshot_20220907-202941_Gallery.jpg

Now to make a fool of myself.... what's the go with the direction of these things? I mounted them like I would a DHF, with the tread arrowing towards the front. Granted, the direction of the RR tread is far less obvious, but the side knobs seem to be pointing forward the way I have it mounted.

After the install I look at the rotation sign on the side and I see I have it backwards. What gives? Should it really be in the opposite direction?
Screenshot_20220907-203302_Gallery.jpg

Cheers all,
Kurt

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Put the RR on. It's a 27.5 x 2.35 on a 32mm IW rim. Rolls pretty good, no complaints in the first voyage, but major caveat is that the dirt was hero tack today. We'll see how they go in dry and dusty conditions.
View attachment 181646

Now to make a fool of myself.... what's the go with the direction of these things? I mounted them like I would a DHF, with the tread arrowing towards the front. Granted, the direction of the RR tread is far less obvious, but the side knobs seem to be pointing forward the way I have it mounted.

After the install I look at the rotation sign on the side and I see I have it backwards. What gives? Should it really be in the opposite direction?
View attachment 181647

Cheers all,
Kurt
Yeah counter to most tread patterns, most schwalbes have the corner knobs pointing out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If the new EXO+ is better than the old version, it may be enough, but why no DD MaxxTerra?
Slightly off-topic but just chiming in to say that from a sample size of one, the new EXO+ does indeed seem an improvement. I'm with you and typically need a DD casing in the rear for trail bikes, having slashed too many EXO+ sidewalls over the years, but I got some of the new EXO+'s with a new bike so I gave them a shot and I've just about worn through the tread without any casing issues. (Happens to be a full-power e-bike (oh the horror!) as well, so over 50 lbs. of smashy.) I always thought EXO+ should have been more durable but with less weight penalty than DD or DH and it seems like Maxxis got the message.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
TB00350300
29X2.40WT
61-622
120X2
FOLDABLE
3C MAXXTERRA
3C/DD/TR
BLACK
E25
Of course.
I just received from teh Germanz a new Exo+ Dissector for the rear. :banghead:

At first blush, the new Exo+ has quite a bit heavier sidewalls compared to the old Exo+
I have an Exo, old Exo+ and new Exo+ and a DH, but alas no DD. However, I will break out the mic and will measure the sidewalls...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Of course.
I just received from teh Germanz a new Exo+ Dissector for the rear. :banghead:

At first blush, the new Exo+ has quite a bit heavier sidewalls compared to the old Exo+
I have an Exo, old Exo+ and new Exo+ and a DH, but alas no DD. However, I will break out the mic and will measure the sidewalls...
I generally like the Dissector a lot, although I wish the channel was just a bit narrower - DHR width would be fantastic.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
If anyone in the US is looking for a 27.5 DD MG Dissector, I've got one new in packaging I'd like to unload.