Quantcast

What is your go to tire for loose over hard?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Been back on the HRII F/R for a while now after doing Assegai/DHR or Assegai/Aggressor for a long time. Have missed this badly.

First, having mismatched tires front and rear just doesn't do it for me. Second, the Assegai does great in the wet. Anything where it's dry at all these High Rollers are killing it. They reward more aggressive riding for sure (accelerate better, brake way better, carve harder if the rider is so inclined). Great setup for BroCal. For Whistler the Assegai goes back on though.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Been back on the HRII F/R for a while now after doing Assegai/DHR or Assegai/Aggressor for a long time. Have missed this badly.

First, having mismatched tires front and rear just doesn't do it for me. Second, the Assegai does great in the wet. Anything where it's dry at all these High Rollers are killing it. They reward more aggressive riding for sure (accelerate better, brake way better, carve harder if the rider is so inclined). Great setup for BroCal. For Whistler the Assegai goes back on though.
I'll have to try the HR again. I remember having to really lean the bike over for it to bite in corners. Like it had a wide drift point.

I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) on the popularity of the Ass-Guy. It's okay. DHF is better IMO. Even in mud. But that's Colorado mud, which is either really sandy (not really mud) or clay-ish. Not sure if that's the right word for it, but you don't ride in it as it will stick to your bike/tires and will jack up trails and Karen's will yell at you if you do.

Seems like the open tread pattern of an HR2 would be pretty okay in mud?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone running a Big Betty up front? Comparisons to Magic Mary or Assegai? I just got one to go on the rear but might try it on the front for a few weeks to see how it goes. It looks promising as a front

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Anyone running a Big Betty up front? Comparisons to Magic Mary or Assegai? I just got one to go on the rear but might try it on the front for a few weeks to see how it goes. It looks promising as a front
Is it available in purple/ultra soft yet? I also thought about running it at the front but prefer a stickier rubber out front.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is it available in purple/ultra soft yet? I also thought about running it at the front but prefer a stickier rubber out front.
I haven't seen it in Purple. I got an Orange for the back but will chuck it on the front for a couple laps and see how it goes.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I just put on Schwalbes (MM Super Trail Ultra Soft / BB ST Soft) after not having really run them since the "Super" revision. Man I forgot how much positive feedback they do when leaning over in loose over hard. Feels like you're tearing the dirt. I was running DD Assegai DHR before for the sidewall stiffness, not because I have issues with flats. The ST sidewalls are stiff enough that I didn't notice folding even at the same low pressures, but they are noticeably lighter and less damped feeling. Popping off little jumps, I found it a lot easier to lift the rear end and clear things. The MM definitely rolls faster than the Asssegai. BB vs DHR... hard to tell. The BB makes more noise pedaling uphill on dirt, feels like it's clawing/hooking up more, so it might be a little bit slower than DHR.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'll have to try the HR again. I remember having to really lean the bike over for it to bite in corners. Like it had a wide drift point.

I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) on the popularity of the Ass-Guy. It's okay. DHF is better IMO. Even in mud. But that's Colorado mud, which is either really sandy (not really mud) or clay-ish. Not sure if that's the right word for it, but you don't ride in it as it will stick to your bike/tires and will jack up trails and Karen's will yell at you if you do.

Seems like the open tread pattern of an HR2 would be pretty okay in mud?
They shed mud very well but that's not what they're good at. They don't have much lateral grip in that stuff.

They do have a pretty wide drift point too. Not mis-remembering that. Less of one on the HRII than the original HR though.

tonghands

Chimp
Sep 2, 2021
Was pretty happy with maxgrip exo assegai up front. One broken collarbone, couple of ribs, and a collapsed lung later I'm less impressed. Simple berm I've ridden hundreds of times before, everything was fine then was sliding on the ground wondering what happened. Still don't really understand. Obvious sealant leak at the bead, maybe burped it. Pretty frustrated I'm back riding the couch

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was pretty happy with maxgrip exo assegai up front. One broken collarbone, couple of ribs, and a collapsed lung later I'm less impressed. Simple berm I've ridden hundreds of times before, everything was fine then was sliding on the ground wondering what happened. Still don't really understand. Obvious sealant leak at the bead, maybe burped it. Pretty frustrated I'm back riding the couch
Whoa thats gnarly. Thats been a good tyre for me (in DD casing anyway) - surprised it has let you down.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Tried the Big Betty up front over the weekend. Works alright, but not as nice as a Mary or Assegai IMO. Great braking traction, a bit squirmy on the side knobs and a more squarish profile than I wanted. Will put it on the rear and run a Mary up front.

Might try the Continentals next time.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tried the Big Betty up front over the weekend. Works alright, but not as nice as a Mary or Assegai IMO. Great braking traction, a bit squirmy on the side knobs and a more squarish profile than I wanted. Will put it on the rear and run a Mary up front.

Might try the Continentals next time.
Isn't the BB marketed as the rear tire for the MM in the front?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got a couple rides on MM/BB (first for me since their "Super" update), and have been pleasantly surprised. Traction in loose over hard is great. Rolling speed is much better, even with Ultra Soft/Soft. The Super Trail casing is stiff enough that I can run the same pressures I was running for DD without feeling the casing fold in berms. They're a bit squirmier on straight hardpack. Previously I was running Assegai DD / DHR DD. EXO+ in the old 120tpi version was too pliable for me, haven't had time on the new 60tpi version.

My reference for the rolling speed is the end of one of our local trails dumps you out into a narrow, high walled ravine, where you're basically snaking along the bottom for a couple hundred feet, before you follow a bench cut ramp up to exit. I've never once been able to get up to the top of the ramp without pedaling, and now I've got it 3 times.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
front maxxgrip assegai let me down similarly a couple months ago in whistler. as things typically seem to go, after half a day ripping jumpy trails & double black tech, i stuffed it hard in a perfectly manicured blue berm (with a liberal sprinkling of kitty litter). the clavicle succumbed & i got a free bumpy atv ride down the mountain. had an earlier near miss when the tire drifted entirely too long then hooked up; guess i didn't learn my lesson - assegai maybe not so great on loose over hard? then again, what is? push hard, roll the dice in these conditions.

anyways, drank my milk, we're back in business. sending healing vibes your way!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'm on a dissector dh case 2.4 rear
Rolls slower than my ss - duh...
Less drift zone than a dhf.
Somehow still round as a 2.4 on a 35mm wide rim

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I have been running a MM/BB combo on my patrol and have absolutely zero complaints. Specifically with the MM. I tried one years ago when they were having issues with lugs tearing, in my case the tire looked like shit after a handful of rides. The one I have now is from the last generation 29"x2.35", so not the latest iteration but it was on sale and I am cheap. I wanted something to cope with softer terrain and wet conditions, but it has been flawless on hardpack, loose over hardpack, roots, rocks, the lot. Again, not the latest iteration but the wear rate has been excellent. Not much in it between the BB and DHR2 that came off recently, but I have dropped 4psi and havent had any rocks strikes and it doesnt feel like I have a flat, something I noticed with the DHR when running lower pressures.

I had an Assegai in the front before changing bikes, and I liked some attributes but disliked others. Someone commented on rocks being picked up and flung into the frame and I had this issue, including my shins.

I have been off DHFs for sometime but is the float zone between center and shoulder lugs that bad? When I was rolling one I don't recall reports of this issue, but I also don't recall if I was experiencing issues out front and didnt think it could be the tire or me not being aggressive enough.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Imho the latest Schwalbe casings are tougher than their Maxxis counterparts. Super Trail is between the 2x60tpi Exo+ and the DD and Super Gravity between DD and DH casing, both leaning more to the upper casing variant of Maxxis. Can't even imagine how a Super Downhill MM would feel as my SG is already very tough and forgiving.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
the SG's i had felt burlier than a maxxis DH carcass.

is super trail available in the ultra soft variant yet? half price schwalbes are a nice break from the maxxis tax.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

is super trail available in the ultra soft variant yet? half price schwalbes are a nice break from the maxxis tax.
Yes, they sell out quick. I'm running MM ST ultra soft front with a SG soft rear. Couldn't be happier. Rolls well and grips well. I'm wearing out tires instead of slashing DD maxxis.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

Yes, but it's hard to find. I had a couple of Ze German websites set to alert me on them, and snagged one. Even with $40 shipping, a pair of Schwalbes from Germany was not much more than the cost of 1 Maxxis DD.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Super Trail is between the 2x60tpi Exo+ and the DD
What's comparable to the dual compound Aggressor in the Schwalbe lineup? Something lighter in weight than the 2.5 DD Aggressor would be nice.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
What's comparable to the dual compound Aggressor in the Schwalbe lineup? Something lighter in weight than the 2.5 DD Aggressor would be nice.
Haven't personally used it, but I'd figure you'd want a Nobby Nic in the blue compound. The orange Soft is still fairly soft.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...I have been off DHFs for sometime but is the float zone between center and shoulder lugs that bad? When I was rolling one I don't recall reports of this issue, but I also don't recall if I was experiencing issues out front and didnt think it could be the tire or me not being aggressive enough.
Yes and No.
If you carry enough speed and lean angle, they are amazing.
If your trails are slower and you don't get them over far enough, they can be a bit skatey,
I no longer run them, but found they were good on the DH bike, but not on the trailbike . The local trails are slow and tight enough, I found that I was riding on the open channel too much. Went Assegai on the DH bike and DHRII on the trailbike. Just put an Assegai on the trailbike last night.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I have been off DHFs for sometime but is the float zone between center and shoulder lugs that bad? When I was rolling one I don't recall reports of this issue, but I also don't recall if I was experiencing issues out front and didnt think it could be the tire or me not being aggressive enough.
I wouldn't call it bad just prominent.
Quickly transitioning through the float zone is a sign your leaning the bike over.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Haven't personally used it, but I'd figure you'd want a Nobby Nic in the blue compound. The orange Soft is still fairly soft.
:stupid:
Like Andeh I personally haven't used them but my wife runs exactly that tire on her Neuron and the short parts of trail I hit on it it felt pretty decent.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I agree. The casings are stiff on the Schwalbes - it feels like you're running more psi than a Maxxis tyre for a given pressure and they push out to the rim so much that they bead up with a hand pump easy.

I've had less pinch flats and sidewall cuts on Schwalbes than Maxxis but managed to stab a hole in a Rock Razor a couple weeks ago, but putting that down to my first hard ride on a semi slick in a long time and bad line choice.

Went back to Big Betty rear/ Magic Mary front for yesterdays ride - god that combo turns hard.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Are the newer MMs more durable?
The older versions from a couple years ago would go Krusty the clown on me real fast… inside edge of outer knobs and outside edge of center knobs wore out much faster than the rest of the tread.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Are the newer MMs more durable?
The older versions from a couple years ago would go Krusty the clown on me real fast… inside edge of outer knobs and outside edge of center knobs wore out much faster than the rest of the tread.
Yeah I get about the same out of them as Assegais now. They don't seem to tear apart as bad as the OG ones did.

I've torn side knobs off the Big Bettys, but normally not until they're pretty flogged anyway.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For what it is worth.

EXO vs EXO+120 vs EXO+60

When I did the tire change I took a few measurements comparing different sidewalls just for the hell of it. I measured with a micrometer in different places along the sidewall.

By feel with your eyes closed I do not think you can tell the difference between EXO and 120tpi EXO+. The new 60tpi EXO+ is quite a bit heavier.

EXO - measured .037-.040 inches - two samples (Rekon and Dissector - both 29x2.4)
EXO+ 120 - measured .038-.044 inches - two samples (DHR2 - both 29x2.4)
EXO+ 60 - measured .067 -.070 inches - two samples (Assegai 29x2.5 and Dissector 29x2.4)

Weight wise the Assegai is 1220 grams and the Dissector is 1010.

Now I just have actually ride them on a trail. :bonk:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
in the hand the new exo+ has a good bit more sidewall support at the bead transition. pretty happy running them F&R currently (granted i'm not heavy & our rox are not sharp).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Low pressure and folded/collapsed bead?

tonghands

Chimp
Sep 2, 2021
Very little wear on it, knobs definitely not undercut. Collapsed bead is my best guess, 23 psi. I've felt the assegai start to lose traction before and it was easy to deal with, plenty of notice. This was something different, absolutely zero time to do anything. Higher pressures and / or thicker casing are in my future

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I cant go hard into a berm with pressure that low on an EXO, but Im 170 hamburgers

Last edited: