Quantcast

What is your go to tire for loose over hard?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Very little wear on it, knobs definitely not undercut. Collapsed bead is my best guess, 23 psi. I've felt the assegai start to lose traction before and it was easy to deal with, plenty of notice. This was something different, absolutely zero time to do anything. Higher pressures and / or thicker casing are in my future
23 front or rear?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
a bit squirmy on the side knobs and a more squarish profile
I guess you're running >=30 mm ID rims, aren't you? That's one of the reasons I like the Schwalbe offerings, they give a good profile on my beloved ex471 rims, which are unrideabru 25 mm slim. For example a 27.5x2.30 DHR2 DD MaxxTerra results in better off camber and lower lean angle turn grip than a 2.40 WT on the ex471.
Granted, the 2.35 were even better than the latest (>2021) versions of MM but they are still better than their Maxxis counterparts in that regard.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I guess you're running >=30 mm ID rims, aren't you? That's one of the reasons I like the Schwalbe offerings, they give a good profile on my beloved ex471 rims, which are unrideabru 25 mm slim. For example a 27.5x2.30 DHR2 DD MaxxTerra results in better off camber and lower lean angle turn grip than a 2.40 WT on the ex471.
Granted, the 2.35 were even better than the latest (>2021) versions of MM but they are still better than their Maxxis counterparts in that regard.
Nah my Mega has those 28mm ID Deemax Pros on it. The Mary is nice and round, the Betty just a bit more square by comparison. It's almost certainly more a mental thing than actual performance, but I like the rounder profile up the front.

The Betty is a ridiculous good back tyre, even edging out the DHR2 imho. Maybe a little slower rolling though

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The Betty is a ridiculous good back tyre, even edging out the DHR2 imho. Maybe a little slower rolling though
Full ack! I'm not even sure if BB really rolls slower or if it's just feeling and most of all sounding slower. And on top of its performance it lasts longer, at least for me. :pleasantry:

tonghands

Chimp
Sep 2, 2021
23psi in the front, I'm about 180. My local has no pointy rocks so damaging a rim is not a concern hence the low pressure. That policy is now under review

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I couldn't run a 2.5 EXO DHF at less than 30psi upfront without it beginning to fold when leant over even when i weighed 190lb but wouldn't have even run a DH casing as low as 23psi for the same reason.
(for ref: currently around 210lb and run 32psi in a front 2.5 EXO DHF)

Forget about rim protection. If your tyres ever get close to the point of folding you're definitely not running enough pressure. Obviously thinner less supportive sidewalls require higher pressuresto remain supportive.
Even with inserts I reckon you need to keep the pressure higher.
Less actual air volume init? :brow:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I couldn't run a 2.5 EXO DHF at less than 30psi upfront without it beginning to fold when leant over even when i weighed 190lb but wouldn't have even run a DH casing as low as 23psi for the same reason.
(for ref: currently around 210lb and run 32psi in a front 2.5 EXO DHF)

Forget about rim protection. If your tyres ever get close to the point of folding you're definitely not running enough pressure. Obviously thinner less supportive sidewalls require higher pressuresto remain supportive.
Even with inserts I reckon you need to keep the pressure higher.
Less actual air volume init? :brow:
What width rim is this on?