Quantcast

What is your Home's Walk Score?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I came across this really cool website that give you a score for how "walkable" an address is. It will give you a score 0-100 based on how close you are to grocery stores, bars, schools, restaurants, etc. Obviously its a little more applicable for Monkeys living in urban areas but a cool site none the less. The house I'm moving to next month got a score of 88 :)

http://www.walkscore.com/

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Walk Score: 18 out of 100 — Car-Dependent

I live within a few hundred yards of a few restaurants, convienience store, grocery store etc, but it would be suicide to try and actually walk. The only saving grace is that in lue of sidewalks or even a minimal shoulder most people allow others to walk across their lawns. In front of my house is a busy road with a steep ditch to either side. My front yard is dense woods but I cleared a path for people to walk in order to stay out of the road. The only pedestrians are runners, dog walkers and the neighborhood drunk who can't drive.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
uhhh....it needs some work....lists a hospital as a library and a tae kwon do place as a school.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Current Home: Walk Score: 54 out of 100 — Somewhat Walkable

Last Home: Walk Score: 89 out of 100 — Very Walkable

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
The place I grew up got a 3
The place I lived for a year w/o a car got a 26
The place I live in now that I rarely walk anywhere got a 49
Verdict: I am spoiled by cars?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am at my parents' house in NJ right now and it is a 29 of 100.

My usual home in New Haven is a 66. My neighborhood is a good place to live without a car, but having a car is nice if you can swing it...so I guess the score is fairly accurate.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
wow ... 100 out of 100 - Walker's Paradise.
It really is. Within a few blocks I have the train, several bars and restaurants, a couple coffee shops, a library etc. Good thing I'm moving...

Zero. Stupid criteria, very urban biased.

The park's 100 feet behind the house, where the woods start. Shaw's, last I looked, was not a restaurant. Coffee shop? Give me a break. The three miles into Vergennes is not an unreasonable distance to walk. Everything listed here is an easy jaunt with a bicycle.

These people need to get a life.
  • Transit - No transit data. Why?
  • Grocery Stores - 2.35 mi - Village Green Marke
  • Restaurants - 3.34 mi - Shaw's - Vergennes
  • Coffee Shops - 9.67 mi - Hungry Mind Cafe
  • Bars - 3.77 mi - Echo Lounge
  • Movie Theaters - 9.81 mi - Marquis Theater
  • Schools - 2.02 mi - Ark Preschool Kinde
  • Parks - 4.51 mi - Winona Recreation A
  • Libraries - 2.28 mi - New Haven Community
  • Bookstores - 9.59 mi - Otter Creek Used Bo
  • Fitness - 3.8 mi - Copper Crane Yoga
  • Drug Stores - 2.5 mi - Kinney Drugs
  • Hardware Stores - 3.37 mi - Aubuchon Hardware
  • Clothing & Music - 3.61 mi - Main Street Footwor

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I got the lovely score of 9. There are not many stores and such within walking distance. But this neighborhood is mostly sidewalks and low speed residential roads, so it's a great place to take a stroll, bike up to the park or down to the nature preserve.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I tough I lived in the burbs, but got a score of 67. And they didn't even take into account that I have an LBS a short walk away.

Ah, just noticed, my street is now on street view! :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am selling my car when I get back.
Walk Score: 91 out of 100 — Walkers’ Paradise

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Zero. Stupid criteria, very urban biased.

The park's 100 feet behind the house, where the woods start. Shaw's, last I looked, was not a restaurant. Coffee shop? Give me a break. The three miles into Vergennes is not an unreasonable distance to walk. Everything listed here is an easy jaunt with a bicycle.

These people need to get a life.
:stupid: Though the nearest town for me is just over 5 miles and it's about 14miles into Saratoga.

LOL! They list the Comic Depot as a local bookstore :confused: They've clearly never been in there. They barely have any comic books!