Quantcast

What is your motivation to ride? *help*

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
I am riding to try and get into better shape. i have a riding partner, but he seems to flake out often, and i dont feel motivated at that point to go and ride for that day. What are some things i can tell myself that will encourage me to ride on my own without a partner. im just afraid of not pushing as hard as i would with a partner. Is this common? I think it may also be that im a new rider, but i would like to ride everyday instead of ultimately sticking to his schedule :redhot:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Get the stress out of your system - riding always makes me feel better (once I'd stopped XC racing anyway)
Become a better rider - challenge yourself technique-wise
Have some fun - vary your riding
Enter some event - give yourself a goal

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I have a pretty stressfull job, I find that riding helps with stress.

I also feel better drinking the 3rd or 4th beer after a good ride....

And you never know when you might see some trail chicks....

Hope that helps

edit: the more you ride the faster you become, then you can drop you buddy next time you 2 ride together

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Find a sweet trail. It's way easier for me to get out on my own when I've got a nice flowy, technical trail that I can cruise by myself.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
stoney98 said:
Ride anyways. When my partner can't ride, I still ride anyways. Put your headphone on and go. You don't need a reason, just go.
-ms
Agreed, just ride. Maybe you won't push as hard, or maybe you'll push harder once you're out there.

As for your riding partner, expect him to flake and plan to ride without him. You'll never be disappointed, only surprised if he actually shows. Make him want to follow your schedule. If he doesn't, find other people to ride with.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
yeah im gonna go out right now and jam some tunes while i ride...thanks i'll let u all know how it goes.. i ride to relieve stress its just i find myself riding on the streets more and more and not trail riding...i will go find me a trail!!!!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you seen the price of gas?

Also, a guy in my team is talking me into racing a Super D at Willamette Pass next month, so I need to get some real ride time in or I will be sucking wind like never before.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
amydalayna said:
i don't need extra motivation to ride. i ride because it's fun. and when it's not fun anymore is when i'll stop.
Quoted for truth. Bikes and riding bikes have always been about fun for me. Any other benefits (health, fitness, less gas usage etc) are just the cherry on top of the whipped cream.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Riding alone is highly underrated. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to ride with friends, but going it alone once in a while is a whole different thing.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I almost exclusively ride alone, but then again... I ride because I love to. All the other stuff that comes with it are just bonuses for me (better shape, less stress, etc.). If you aren't riding because you enjoy it, it's going to be hard to motivate yourself regardless.

Have you thought about a different sport?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Echo said:
Riding alone is highly underrated. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to ride with friends, but going it alone once in a while is a whole different thing.
I prefer it.
When I ride alone, I rail the sections of trail that I want to really fast and cruise whenever I feel like it.
Yesterday's ride, I started off feeling rough, because I was still feeling the ride from the day before, so I just took it easy spinning up the first climb, then I pushed hard on all the fun stuff, and ended up feeling great by the end. If I would have started off chasing somebody, I would have blown myself up and not enjoyed the ride at all.
There is nothing more fun though than getting wheel to wheel with your buddy on a trail you both know, and just letting it hang out though.:hot:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You have to be willing to train on your own, or go with a larger group. No matter what, don't let someone else's lack of motivation become your lack of motivation.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
WELL, i took your advice and decided to ride alone today with music...here's the results

hit a rhythum section going down this huge mountainside and took one a lil too fast launching me over the bars into the side of the path. My watch broke off and i had to drive back with my dad to find it (got it in spain) and my legs are all messed up. i launched about 10-15 from where my bike stopped at. i am hurting and i gotta work later tonight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Domin8stang said:
WELL, i took your advice and decided to ride alone today with music...here's the results

hit a rhythum section going down this huge mountainside and took one a lil too fast launching me over the bars into the side of the path.
Nothing would have changed if you'd been riding with someone. Except then you'd have someone to laugh at you and call you a dumbass for going over the bars. :D

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
yah i know it probably would have been worse cuz he woulda been right on my ass the whole way down...possible pileaup which im glad i avoided cuz hes bigger than me

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I sometimes lose motivation for riding due to always riding the same spots. Fluff already mentioned signing up for an event. That works for me to get me in shape. The other is plan a trip somewhere fun. We do an 'annual?' trip to Crested Butte each year. That definately takes some getting in / staying in shape. But man that place is a blast if you are in shape. Maybe a trip to Moab, or Whistler?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
amydalayna said:
i don't need extra motivation to ride. i ride because it's fun. and when it's not fun anymore is when i'll stop.
:stupid: Plus, I find it to be an excellent stress reliever. When I ride alone, I don't go too crazy and push myself harder sometimes (I will do a hill repeat if I screw up the first time, but I don't do that often when I ride with a group...don't want to hold them up).