Quantcast

What is your oldest peice of equipment you still use?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I mean, seriously use on your downhill rig. Your 1980 bmx frame doesnt count!
Mine is: My stupid ragdoll blue and yellow Answer Accelerator shoes circa 1997. To their credit, they are the oldest, most abused shoes I own, of any type... and while they look like absolute garbage, there isnt a stich out of place. most of the rubber sole is gone, but they have a spot worn in them from riding out of the clips that locks into my egg beaters perfectly... I REALLY need to stop being sentimental and buy a new pair of riding shoes....

What decrepid old crap are you guys still using?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Original red Shimano DX clipless pedals bought in 96. Pedals have won pro BMX mains, survived slimy DH races and cranked out plenty of XC miles and are still going strong on the DH rig. Best pedals EVER.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hayes Mags that are 5 years old
Shimano DX pedals 6-7 years old
Race Face Turbines and DH bottom bracket 5 years old
Thompson seatpost 5 years old

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Redline generic bmx pedals I bought brand new in '98 for $11.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
A 4 year old shimano alivio (8speed) rear shifter (the ones with numbers in the screen), missing a couple of plastic covers but still going strong. I'm still looking for NOS 8speed XT rapidfires...... So far I got a set of 07 alivio shifters as a spare

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
tioga skunk rims w/ revo spokes on blue hadleys. back up wheels from 99 or 00 (i think) on the mongoose team that i scored off ebay in 03 for 100 bucks shipped that are so solid and the ligthest wheels i have ever owned. rebuilt and added ti stuff to them have made them plain awesome

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
tioga skunk rims w/ revo spokes on blue hadleys. back up wheels from 99 or 00 (i think) on the mongoose team that i scored off ebay in 03 for 100 bucks shipped that are so solid and the ligthest wheels i have ever owned. rebuilt and added ti stuff to them have made them plain awesome
:picsstfu:

I wanna see those wheels.....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmm...
Probably my Hayes mag levers... traded them with a buddy about 3.5 years ago and he had them a couple years before that.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I have front hayes champagnes on both my bikes, im assuming in th 98 or 99,other than that my 03 sgs dh frame, that I will not get rid of.

Feb 8, 2007
Hayes something or others (hydro). Came on my Schwinn 4-banger purchased in '07 or '08. They're on my ghetto SS. They're on their last legs. I use my feet more than those brakes to stop. Said ghetto SS also has a Marzo fork from the same time frame. It's some OEM POS from an old Norco. Don't even think it has an official name. Come to think of it, the whole damn bike is a parts bin project. Square taper LX cranks from mid 90's. A rancid Selle Italia Flite saddle that attracts all kinds of forest creatures. Some strange stem. It's a total mutt.

I try to keep decent stuff for any "serious" riding though.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Hayes something or others (hydro). Came on my Schwinn 4-banger purchased in '07 or '08. They're on my ghetto SS. They're on their last legs. I use my feet more than those brakes to stop. Said ghetto SS also has a Marzo fork from the same time frame. It's some OEM POS from an old Norco. Don't even think it has an official name. Come to think of it, the whole damn bike is a parts bin project. Square taper LX cranks from mid 90's. A rancid Selle Italia Flite saddle that attracts all kinds of forest creatures. Some strange stem. It's a total mutt.

I try to keep decent stuff for any "serious" riding though.

Do you mean '97 or '98?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
probably just my old 661 launch shoes that have been in constant use for the past 2 years. the soles barely have any tread left since i walk around in them so much.(and i wonder why i go through cleats so quickly)

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
XT 4pot calipers(dh bike)
Hadley 36 click ti freehub body, 3 pawls engaging all at once(dh bike)
Profile Racing machined guide plates(dh bike)
02 XTR cranks, 175 arms w/5x110 spider, sealed octalink bb(trail bike)

New doesn't necessarily mean better.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
im running a rear cassette on my dh bike that is circa 1982 that was on an ironman edition centurion road bike. my uncle bought the bike new and gave it to my dad in 87 and i got it in 2000. so i needed a road cassette and that is what i came up with. been running it bout 7 months.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
The oldest thing I have, is oddly enough an upgrade...

Shimano XT 4pots, but with newer goodridge lines...about '03 or '04 I believe.

my bikes and '05, most of the parts are '06 though.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Well, my frame is a '98, so the whole bike is old... newest part is the D3.1 wheelset taken off my M-1 back in 2003. However, there are some noteworthy parts that have spent time of every DH bike I've owned since '97:

A '97 8 spd XTR rear derailluer. Was originally on my XC bike, but I switched to a short-cage on that bike and put the mid-cage on the DH bike. It's been on 4-5 frames ever since... two or three adjuster barrel assemblies... The upper pivot is practically raw from slapping the chainstays of both M-1s I had... I've toyed with replacing it... and the spare XTR derailluer I keep in my camelback is actually in better condition, but it's gotten to the point where I want to see how long it will last...

First generation/issue Ringle' Zu-zu flat pedals. Yeah, the ones everyone else under the sun has destroyed. They have gouged and beaten, but still whole and servicable... and are therefore still my main pedals for sessions where I'd rather ride on flats.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
2001 purple Hayes but they don't see much DH use these days. Has never had any break fluid changes.
yeah my hayes were 6 years old till i replaced them this year with oros. they will be on my xc bike soon.

i also have a pair of fsa carbon cranks i have used for 3 years on my dh bike. tough as nails.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thinking of it I also have en old King headset from before it said King on the cups for sure older than 2001. My wifes bike has some of my oldest bike parts including 1999 Avid Arch Supremes.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I have a set of M950 8 speed XTR pods (circa 96-97, right when matte grey XTR came out) on my DH bike and another set as back up.

On my trail bike, the internals to my rear King hub are also ~10 years old. I swapped in a disc hubshell when I switched over to running discs.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
King headset i bought in 2000.....still smooth as butter.......

Actually have a King in my Heckler also......only a few months older.....also still smooth as butter.

Other than that i have some shorts i have been wearing sonce 2001.....both recently wore through though and needs patches...