Quantcast

What is your opinion of the future of this sport?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
rebuttals to the above:

1) a $1000 xc bike will get the job done, even if it packs, what, an additional 4 lbs? can you truly say the same about the dh equipment out there, supergo clearances aside?

4) but why should i race if i can shuttle with my buddies for FREE and not wait in lines? bcd is on to something: the race experience must offer more riding and more of everything else (a la whistler) to make it compelling.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
As compared to truly mainstream sports like baseball, football, etc., DH racing will always be on the fringe, and I'm ok with that.

As for the future, I suspect DH racing will keep chugging along with the most fun at the grassroots level and the international scene continuing in a similar state it is today. I don't think we'll see an explosion or even get back to where we were during the first "boom" because riders have more (and more accessible) options today (local freeride stuff, DJ, urban and park stuff on 26", lift-assisted riding that is not racing, etc.).

Personally I've enjoyed the few DH races I've done but the expense and hassle are not really worth it. Plus, race days end up being the days I ride the LEAST.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Dh racing will NEVER be mainstream in the USA as long as usacycling is running the show. They DO NOT promote the sport in the least. (sending postcards to racers for a race series is NOT a promotion campaign).
Mtn biking needs a fanbase to grow, & until some TV ads show up for the Nat's (at least) it will never happen...

Ever see tv ads for Any DH racing event? ever? How will the public watch them if they don't know they exist?? If the public doesn't watch, the pros don't get raises. period.. Personally i think they deserve one.

Boycott usacycling. maybee they'll go belly up & a real racing league will take over.. I truly feel that they hurt our sport with their lack of promotion. For the price they charge, I want more!

I'll be supporting Diablo's races next year because they don't use usacycling. & any other mtn in the northeast that doesn't for that matter.
I think you are a bit confused here. USAC is not a promotional group, it is a governing and licensing body. USAC does not directly promote races themselves, they simply sanction them (rules, officials, licensing, insurance, and the like). The burden for promotion lies with individual event promoters to create events and get their message out via marketing, advertising, etc.

Look at the road side; USAC is not the one promoting successful events such as the the Tour of California.

-ska todd

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
What he said - DH racing ends up costing you more (in $$ and hassle) and you end up doing less actual riding. Screw that. I for one could also care less about bragging rights, 'exposure' or how much someone else gets paid to ride their bikes. Why does any of that matter as long as you get to ride?

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I would have to disagree with a lot of that, even if Downhill got a little more commercialized it would see a good percentage increase in riders. I have around 10 non biker friends who are serious about getting bikes after seeing pictures and videos of races ive been to or shown them. People don't know its out there. It appeals to a lot because its a mix between extreme sports and cycling. Yes it is very difficult to get video coverage of a full race. But there are guys out there who do it and are dam good. That is also one of the reasons I would guess for having World Cup races in more open areas, so many spectators. I know most of the races I go to there are usually just acouple sections where people can watch and they are still hard to get to. Some type of walking path near the race course would help. There is a very large market out there for this sport its just a matter of the right things happening to get people to races. No, I don't see this happening anytime soon unless some people with money start throwing it around. And in all honesty its not about us when you talk about the sport growing. It's about getting a big spectator basis.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
This kid needs to stop bitching, I was in the same situation 2 years ago but i didn't yell at my folks and cry about my race times. If you really like what your doing it doesn't matter you just ride. If you have to drag him to races try leaving him behind and see how much fun he has not racing on his hard tail.
I never had to drag this kid anywhere. I think he got my entire thought process pretty loud and clear when he met me, and if not then, he damn sure got it when the whole team got loaded and started asking hard questions.

However, that being said, I can also see where he's coming from. Because I've got my big boy bike I can clean lines and push edges that a dirt jumper just can't. I reference the rock field in Asylum at Diablo. I can just let go of the brakes, and down the hill my doom's day machine goes. On the other hand, he gets to ride the ejector seat of death down things like that. Getting hurt because of economic shortfalls would start to suck after long enough.

There was also the issue of his age group peers at the races. A lot of them are the under sixteen, mommy and daddy have a wad bigger then Peter North's worth of cash, and can blow it on the latest and greatest downhill terrain scorching, not so good with the Sierra Club, 9" of travel wonder bikes. This is the group most people have an overwhelming urge to punch in the trachea when they start talking about "I have so much carbon fiber, and my bikes like 28 pounds." Being around that, being the one kid who can't afford the toys, but who's parents do all they can, would begin to drag on a kid, just simple desire for what you can't have.

It'd be nice if there was a $1000 entry level bike to get people to the show on that wouldn't blow brakes, destroy rims at the sight of rocks, and that didn't weigh 90lbs. I know this is an impractical theory, but it would help to get more people into the sport. Think of it like this; most of the time your local crack dealer will give you your first hit of rock to get you hooked, then start charging you for every subsequent hit there after. We need the first hit of DH crack to be cheap to get more people hooked on gravity.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I think you are a bit confused here. USAC is not a promotional group, it is a governing and licensing body. USAC does not directly promote races themselves, they simply sanction them (rules, officials, licensing, insurance, and the like). The burden for promotion lies with individual event promoters to create events and get their message out via marketing, advertising, etc.

Look at the road side; USAC is not the one promoting successful events such as the the Tour of California.

-ska todd
Umm, Nascar,NFL,AMA,etc. don't promote their sports? Who do you think does?? The advertising fairy?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Umm, Nascar,NFL,AMA,etc. don't promote their sports? Who do you think does?? The advertising fairy?
I agree,

Todd, It is true that USAC is only the governing body and they only sanction events, but obviously the model is broken, maybe it is time they step in and take over some of the promotion?

They could start by putting membership funds from MTB back into MTB?

Possibly target 5 races per year they think are important to the growth of the sport and help the individual promoter with exposure?

Maybe they are currently doing stuff like this? i don't know, but i have not heard of any support other then " we provide insurance"

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I keep hearing about, "World Cup". So, this is the schedule for the "World Cup":

13 venues, 11 countries and three continents, but no US stops, for ’08 World Cup Series,
7-3-07 // Events: 2008 World Cup Schedule

The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced the 2008 Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup venues. The 18th season of UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in 2008 will unite 13 venues in 11 countries on three continents. Maribor Pohorje Mountain will kick off the downhill and fourcross series on May 10 and 11. With no less than six triple events in the series this will be the only stop specializing in "gravity" disciplines.

The downhill and 4X events will both start and end the 2008 World Cup in the Styria region. Maribor, the opener in Slovenia, and Schladming, the final event, in Austria are just 240 km apart.

"There will not be much of a break for our organizing team between this year's final and next year's opener. We are hoping for a short winter so we can get our venues in perfect shape on time," says Iztok Kvas, the event director from Sport Center Pohorje

April 19/10 Houffalize (Bel) XCO 1
April 26/27 Offenburg (Ger) XCO 2
May 3/4 Madrid (Spa) XCO 3
May 10/11 Maribor (Slo) 4X/DHI 1
May 31/June 1 Vallnord (And) XCO 4, 4X/DHI 2
June 7/8 Fort William (GBr) XCO 5, 4X/DHI 3
July 26/27 tbc (Can) XCO 6, 4X/DHI 4
August 2/3 Mont Sainte Anne (Can) XCO 7, 4X/DHI 5
August 9/10 Oisans (Fra) XCM 2
August 30/31 Canberra (Aus) XCO 8, 4X/DHI 6
September 13/14 Schladming (Aut) XCO 9, 4X/DHI 7
October 4/5 Innsbruck (Aut) XCM 3

OK, why are there no USA World Cup caliber venues? Based on the schedule, it would appear we are lacking. Does the "World Cup" bring in decent revenue? It would seem to me that if it did, more resorts in the US would attempt to bring it here. Or does the "World Cup" not bring in enough revenue to warrant US resorts to host a race?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DH is an infant in the world cycling.
It has to grow up.......give it time.

Most mtb'rs barely understand what it's all about let alone the general public. Within the sport there are already deep seated bad attitudes and this bad......everyone needs to chill out and chip in.

:monkey:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
i think with the whole global warming issue making snow more of a rarity in certain areas, more and more ski resorts will turn to promoting bikes. and the amount of people interested in downhill will increace.

i also think more events like megavalanche that include uphill riding with downhill will be more prominent than they are now, with 6inch bikes becoming more popular but DH racing will always be the pinnacle of mountainbike technology

id like to see DH frame manufacturers stop spending a fortune on R&D to come up with the latest and greatest virtual pivot or whatever, then passing that cost onto customers. The price of some frames is ridiculous, especially here in the uk.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK, why are there no USA World Cup caliber venues? Based on the schedule, it would appear we are lacking. Does the "World Cup" bring in decent revenue? It would seem to me that if it did, more resorts in the US would attempt to bring it here. Or does the "World Cup" not bring in enough revenue to warrant US resorts to host a race?
Correction, there is no US World Cup caliber promoters. Plenty of great venues.

Also, the TBC date is now officially Bromont. 2 world cups within 3 hours of Montreal. WOOOOOO.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
And all of these are also for-profit business organizations with immense cash reserves...it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Of course marketing doesn't "just happen" but it also takes a pile of money to make it happen as you suggest with TV commercials and the like. Much of the advertising and promotions you see for something like a Nascar event or the NFL are from the TV networks, corporate sponsors, or the like who have a vested interest in the success of said event, not directly from the parent organizations.

I agree,

Todd, It is true that USAC is only the governing body and they only sanction events, but obviously the model is broken, maybe it is time they step in and take over some of the promotion?

They could start by putting membership funds from MTB back into MTB?

Possibly target 5 races per year they think are important to the growth of the sport and help the individual promoter with exposure?

Maybe they are currently doing stuff like this? i don't know, but i have not heard of any support other then " we provide insurance"
There has certainly been progress made in this area and much bigger changes are coming down the pipeline. Everything is incremental. You first have to shore up the base and then move on from there.

If you look at the issue of "communication" first and foremost, USAC has been working a good deal on this in the past year +. There are now daily news and weekly results email updates to members, improved usability of the website, and a reorganization of inside and outside staff. The first step is getting the existing members out there and participating, and this seems to be working with an increase in licenses, events, and participation numbers vs 06 on the mountain bike side. Again, shore the base and then move forward.

As I've come to discover, the biggest "problems" most people have with USAC/Norba actually has little-to-nothing to actually do with USAC. The problems and issues they have tend to be with a specific promoter group which run several of the larger and "National" style events. Event marketing can be lumped right in there. Ask where your entry monies are going for these events first and then follow the trail...

-ska todd

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
After reading some of the posts by you west-coasters, I guess I should count myself pretty lucky to live in the Northeast. There's something like 12 lift-serviced DH mountains within a 5-hour drive out here, maybe more? Rather than worry about more places opening, I actually worry about some of these cool, smaller places closing due to saturation of the market.
You're right about one thing. You guys are extremely fortunate to have so many lift accessed places to ride. One of the benefits of the infrastructure in place from people thinking the east coast is worth skiing:D

BUT.........the available land to build on, and to build the kinds of riding you won't find at ski areas in the US is still a little more vast on most of the west coast. Minor, but that's what I tell myself to feel better after watching diablo and whiteface videos:D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you look at the issue of "communication" first and foremost, USAC has been working a good deal on this in the past year +. There are now daily news and weekly results email updates to members, improved usability of the website, and a reorganization of inside and outside staff. The first step is getting the existing members out there and participating, and this seems to be working with an increase in licenses, events, and participation numbers vs 06 on the mountain bike side. Again, shore the base and then move forward.
Not from gravity MTB there isn't.

I don't have the email anymore as I just cleaned out my inbox this weekend, but I have one from Andy Lee explaining why he no longer deals with MTB at all (besides worlds). It basically has to do with the NMBS not being owned by USAC or something along those lines. The endgame was that USAC would no longer be putting out PR from national events, genius.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Not from gravity MTB there isn't.

I don't have the email anymore as I just cleaned out my inbox this weekend, but I have one from Andy Lee explaining why he no longer deals with MTB at all (besides worlds). It basically has to do with the NMBS not being owned by USAC or something along those lines. The endgame was that USAC would no longer be putting out PR from national events, genius.
These issues were recently directly addressed about being more inclusive to the mountain bike side for 08. The weekly email updates that go out to all members do indeed include Gravity events. I just received one last week that included Gravity info along with all of the XC and road stuff. The daily news updates are thru wire service and pick up Gravity events; there were a few over the course of the summer.

NMBS is not a USAC property and the onus is not on them to craft and send out the press releases for those events. That task lies with the promoter.

-ska todd

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
4) but why should i race if i can shuttle with my buddies for FREE and not wait in lines? bcd is on to something: the race experience must offer more riding and more of everything else (a la whistler) to make it compelling.
I figured that out years ago and stopped doing NORBAs.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i think it starts from USAC, you have to have a membership in order to race with any of the "sanctioned promotion groups" and as far as i have been told/ understand 0 dollars from membership goes into race events/nationals etc.
i know you have more insight then i have so if i'm wrong correct me.

if the numbers are up as far as members then things are improving however small that is,

i just think if your going to take money from membership you need to provide more services to the actual experience of riding the bike and the events, which is the main reason we become members and as far as i have seen there hasn't been any improvement.

Blame it on the promoter, but the promoter is an extension of USAC via membership revenue they take in, along with that responsibility i think they should have a more vested interest in the events and how they are run

I do agree the promoter has a responsibility as well and the whole deal of no prize money is bogus....if anything give us 100% pay back.

As they say s*@t runs downhill.

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
When I sit by a bonfire in the Plattekill parking lot at midnight with a beer in my hand, the moon overhead, a million stars in the sky and the gorgeous mountain draped in fog I often wonder where the heck did everyone go? How come there are only 3 people campin in the parking lot on a non-race weekend? How come when I go to Mountain Creek I recognize 4 people and I have been riding DH for a decade? Seems that 93% of the racers that I knew back when have retired from racing and riding and gave up the sport completely. Does the average racer only have a 5 year riding lifespan in this sport? Where the heck did everyone go? I can understand not racing anymore due to getting older, married, money, whatever but why give up just riding DH?
I definitely dont fear for the future of the sport though cause more and more new riders are out there these days. Alot of fresh faces and alot of them are young guns. This sport is gonna be AOK but it does make me wonder why the average riding lifespan of the DHer seems to be about 5 years or so until complete and total retirement.
Something to think about...where you gonna be in 5 years?
do everything that you can do NOW to insure that you will be out there riding in 2015. Save your money, save your body, do whatever it takes. Ride DH for the long haul. Its not just about racing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Correction, there is no US World Cup caliber promoters. Plenty of great venues.

Also, the TBC date is now officially Bromont. 2 world cups within 3 hours of Montreal. WOOOOOO.
OK, then let's follow through the progression, why then, are there not any US World Cup caliber promoters? What constitutes or defines a US World Cup caliber promoter?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
When I sit by a bonfire in the Plattekill parking lot at midnight with a beer in my hand, the moon overhead, a million stars in the sky and the gorgeous mountain draped in fog I often wonder where the heck did everyone go? How come there are only 3 people campin in the parking lot on a non-race weekend?
They must have all scattered to the numerous luxury accommodations in the Roxbury, NY area. ;)

Serously, though, I haven't noticed the same trend as you. I still recognize a lot of the same people when I'm at the resorts, and maybe what you're experiencing at Plattekill is the 'market saturation' thing I talked about above - people are starting to ride at different resorts that are closer to their homes.

Like others have pointed out, a lot of us are realizing that you can get a lot more riding in - and potentially have a lot more fun - by skipping the races and just heading somewhere else for the weekend to freeride with your buddies. For me personally, 2007 was the first time in 9 years that I didn't do any DH racing at all, but I probably had more fun on my bike and developed more skill than ever before. I still got something like 25 or 30 lift-serviced days in throughout the summer (no small feat with a 3- or 4-month riding season up here), and by staying away from the races, I guarantee you I got more Runs Per Day (RPD - there's a new acronym for you) than I would have otherwise.

--JP

P.S. Seplavy - if there's anyway USAC can re-up their deal with United to get the free bike vouchers back, I'd guess the membership would increase even further.

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
My Mid-Atlantic perspective: Lift assisted riding will continue to grow, as the NE examples have shown. Ski resorts here are trying to market themselves as year round resorts and and are trying to make money to offset the warmer and inconsistent winters. More and more resorts are considering lift assisted riding. The Snowshoe model is being closely watched as mountain managers see the potential for increased summer revenue, and FR/DH scenes are building in NC, SC, and VA. More locals/mountain town folks are getting into lift access biking as a summertime activity to complement the ski season- the cities and their burbs won't be too far behind. As more people get into lift access, more folks will be introduced to local races. USA Cycling and NORBA will remain continue to remain irrelevant and unresponsive as smaller grassroots series like Gravity East will pick up the slack, albeit with less prize money, sponsors, and publicity. More people will enjoy it and have fun, but no one (including the ski resorts) are going to make bank of off DH, the racing scene will not rival Europe anytime soon, but there will be a steady growth in popularity as more people discover the fun of lift-assisted gravity riding.

dondon

Monkey
Without reading all 5 pages, I will say what i have said before in another similar thread somewhere.

It all boils down to making events fun and worthwhile. Worthwhile for the pros with legitimate prize money, and free tech areas for all the pro teams rigs which are an attraction and fun for the amateurs, who want best and most value for their money and time spent at a race weekend.
A couple of things to help make it fun.
Multiple trails, lifts and park open the whole weekend to all paid racers. This means while it is not your scheduled practice time you can still ride the other DH trails or park or Dj's. Ala US Open and Crankworx. Although logistically tough for race organizers, it should be mandatory. If it won’t work at certain venues, then find another venue! There are plenty of resorts across the country that have developing and growing bike parks catering to diverse skills. Make it appealing to the whole family and the numbers will increase. You shouldn’t have to choose between fun and racing. They should be one and the same. The above suggestions should steer things in the right direction

Robusto

Monkey
I never had to drag this kid anywhere. I think he got my entire thought process pretty loud and clear when he met me, and if not then, he damn sure got it when the whole team got loaded and started asking hard questions.

However, that being said, I can also see where he's coming from. Because I've got my big boy bike I can clean lines and push edges that a dirt jumper just can't. I reference the rock field in Asylum at Diablo. I can just let go of the brakes, and down the hill my doom's day machine goes. On the other hand, he gets to ride the ejector seat of death down things like that. Getting hurt because of economic shortfalls would start to suck after long enough.

There was also the issue of his age group peers at the races. A lot of them are the under sixteen, mommy and daddy have a wad bigger then Peter North's worth of cash, and can blow it on the latest and greatest downhill terrain scorching, not so good with the Sierra Club, 9" of travel wonder bikes. This is the group most people have an overwhelming urge to punch in the trachea when they start talking about "I have so much carbon fiber, and my bikes like 28 pounds." Being around that, being the one kid who can't afford the toys, but who's parents do all they can, would begin to drag on a kid, just simple desire for what you can't have.

It'd be nice if there was a $1000 entry level bike to get people to the show on that wouldn't blow brakes, destroy rims at the sight of rocks, and that didn't weigh 90lbs. I know this is an impractical theory, but it would help to get more people into the sport. Think of it like this; most of the time your local crack dealer will give you your first hit of rock to get you hooked, then start charging you for every subsequent hit there after. We need the first hit of DH crack to be cheap to get more people hooked on gravity.
My view on this is that kids need to be more patient. For a year I rode my old ironhorse cross country bike for this type of stuff, and I was eventually able to save up enough money to get a cheap entry level dh bike for around 1,000 dollars. I personally know the kid you're referencing, and I agree with bball, he needs to stop blaming his equipment and just have fun. It's his first year racing downhill, and no one expects him to post winning times, even though he has this year already. He should just be happy his parents are giving him the opportunity to be involved in a sport with such a great community backing it. Eventually he'll be up there with everyone else, but until then he needs to focus more on enjoying himself than complaining about his times.
As for the sport, here in the Northeast it's growing pretty rapidly. Each race there are new faces and new people getting into the sport, and there are a growing number of lift serviced mountains.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Sport rocks. Its growing. If you cant see that, I can't imagine why.

Racing is not the measuring stick, not even events, although there are more MTB specific events than ever before and anenormous amount of them FR oriented; Im willing to bet that as agressive MTB becomes more mainstream, as it has steadily done, that more people will be drawn to racing.

Ive been listening to people predict the end since '91, and watched the sport, the market and products, and venues increase massively, while pricing has declined very significantly on average.

And apy attention to the Todd (Ska that is..) - he beez on de point!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I see dhing staying at the grassroots level: sport and beginer races loving it. World cup staying the way it is. When i raced it was 100% a waste of money even with the incredible hook ups I have had. Dh racing is so fun but no one can ever organize it correctly, put the venue on right, etc etc. Dh racing will never be more popular than it is now. Slopestyle/dj/park/street/etc are all better branches of the sport for the mainstream. They offer cheap, easy entertainment for the masses. A base level dh bike that could last a season is AT LEAST 2k, where as a cheap jump bike (that can be ridden for everything from xc-dh and raced 4x and dual) can be had for 500 or so on up. Plus dh racing is not extreme dorito mountain dew espn x games enough for mainstream media. Its just guys wearing stupid outfits riding down a hilll over logs and rocks on primitive motorcycles (as it has been described/looks from many people outside OUR community). Slopestyle and events like ot are the future, they allow spectators to see the entire course, their are jumps and big drops w/ tricks (ever seen someone throw a no handed front flip in a dh race??) , and it allows an easy entry to the sport. buy cheap jump bike, mess around with it, take it to local hill and have a blast. With more and more bike parks popping up its easy to see. Hell you could host a world cup sloestyle event on a hill thats only 2-4 stories tall and have it in views of thousands of people form top to bottom. Thats another problem with dh: the access. Shuttle runs are dissapearing by the day, mountains are loosing intrest (and money) in bike trails, plus the cost of driving to the mtns, lift ticket food, etc etc put it out of reach for the vast majority of americans.

I love riding dh and everything about it but i do not see it becoming any larger than it currently is, if anything i see it taking a decline. the cost is absurd. even with bro hook ups/sponsorship/sponsorhouse/whatever other cheap parts supply a nice dh bike is still running 2.5-6k. thats just plain rediculous for the average american to afford if they are going to use ride it what 1-6 times a year? look at skis and snowbards, much, much cheaper

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I wasn't looking at the sport getting larger, BUT, I was looking at the whole, "I sure I have a place to ride next year" aspect of it. The pro's that I have met, and have gotten to know, seemed really cool. On that list, sadly the Monster park/NWD riders were not quit so cool. Like I said, not all of em, but a bunch.

I'll give ya an example...Adam R. and Chris H., both of whom I can vouch for do the sport WONDERS!

On the more well known riders, like Missy and Shaums....Both AWESOME! Its not made up either...I saw 6 - 7 kids, at a Monster Park event, walk up to the "pros" to get an autograph, and were treated like, "oh like, yeah". These same kids walked up to Missy, and she spent the better part of 20 minutes interacting with em, cutting up, having fun.

Shaums is the same way. Certainly grass roots, but, when one pro is a dick, it kills it for the rest who are actually quite cool.

I'm still not seeing the reason why the US has NO world Cup promoters....Any promoters want to fill us ignorant AARP folks in on this? Again, just a topic to help put it into perspective....for many of us...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
i think the bike industry needs to have a serious shakedown. prices throughout the whole industry are simply too high for those without "bro deals".
Good call.

I have a 24 year old buddy who goes bigger, faster and more fearless than any local rider I've ever seen, but is put off by going to races (and even local shuttle runs) because he has minimal gear, no money, legal problems, rides a cobbled together old Gemini and since he literally grew up on the streets of Phoenix, he does not want to be looked down on anymore.

This kid could be a great rider, but the snob factor exists in the downhill world as much as it does in the roadie world.