Quantcast

What is your riding style like? Why do you ride?

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
This is a very broad question. In style I mean mood,why,what,influence etc....
I will start:

I am a very aggressive,determined and focused rider. Every ride is a Race Run. Very rarely do I go slow or look at the scenery... I just hammer.

I like big jumps and flowey berms I have a strong BMX back ground my style on the bike is more flow than grinding the pedals out. I find any transition to pump and jump. I find the smooth line not the point and shoot method. I am terrible at flat fire road corners. Off camber terrain gives me fits.Being a gravity guy my climbing is suspect more like hiking.
Table tops are my thing maybe a big tobaggon thrown in but no big bag of tricks... just whipping it out like Im McGrath winning another supercross title... I grew up with the Foster brothers on the wall.So I am all about hitting some nice dirt jumps or flying low at the skatepark.

My main goal for riding right now is Being Semi-Pro DH By age 30.
I cant ride the 20" any more so its the big bikes now. I blew my ACL and MCL ending my BMX run.(hard to pedal those little things these days) So you will see me as bionic man with a big metal knee brace.

The reason I ride is to burn the demons up.I started riding a bike to get away from my neighborhood when I was young. It took me to new places and gave me the freedom to do what ever I wanted.So far in my lifetime my bike has taken me all over the world for events. I love the feeling of being almost out of control through something but pulling it out. After a good ride I feel like that is what I was put here to do.

Kinda lame but hey just trying to see what everyone is about you know? Good way to know who you be talking to:crazy:

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I would rather have a flowy singletrack trail than a jump trail, biking in the cutts of my town in the mountains is what I live for. We have some redwood trees way back and they are the best to ride in the lighting the animals that are back there its just how it should be everywhere. Pure what humans haven't f-d up. My attitude when I'm biking is smoke a bowl/joint/bong and go into the coolest places of my town and enjoy it and have fun on the way down. And when I'm stoned I just appreciate everything so much more especially nature. I used to be all about the jumps and there great and all but I was never really all that great at em and ate **** alot. Ha Bike, bowl, trail, What more could you need?

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I ride mainly all mountain, downhill and freeride. I love fast flowy single-track, or big berms and big table tops and doubles. Drops are fun too, when they aren't every 15 feet.

But with the recent addition of a BMX bike, and a road bike to my stable, I've found myself commuting in the cool morning downtown San Jose air, or heading out to the Lake Cunningham Skate Park on Sunday mornings to catch some concrete ramp action.

As far as why I ride? Adrenaline, and stress relief, and a great work out. I like the fact that I can ride and get my work out, stress relief, and time with friends all in one shot. But mainly, I just like to go fast (despite not being fast). I used to do a lot of Auto Crossing and late-night Highway 9 drives. When I sold my fun cars, it was time to find something else that met my need for speed, and mountain biking came along.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Im the type that likes it as tech as i can find, separates the men from the boys. Tracks like mt st anne and fort william. As many rock gardens as possible and big drops and jumps. generally stuff that needs big skill as well as big balls to win. Anyone who's got balls can go fast on a less tech or punishing track. But this year hasnt gone too well for me and left me a bit of a wimp(for now!!), started with tearing my ankle ligaments trying my fav drop in howling winds and pouring rain, then a broken collarbone and then a stage 3 concussion and then another concussion shortly after, because of my insane stupidity of not being able to take it easy and slowly get back into things. I added up the other day that i've had just over 6 weeks total riding time since janruary. This has left my confidence to tackle anything but rockgardens in a serious need of therapy so right now im leaning towards those tracks with mediocre rocks and no jumps. Oh and i've always hated steep switchbacks and high speed drag-race-like tracks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My riding style is downhill with a side of all mountain, cross country, and cyclocross.

For me, like Mike said... I think its a great combination of things I really enjoy in my life. I really enjoy the fitness aspect of it. I started seriously cycling back in 2005 after 6 years of not really doing anything fitness wise. I used to race motocross and stopped because of a pretty serious crash in a race (almost broke my neck). I started riding to lose some weight and just get back into shape.

Over the last few years I figured out where my riding style fit best. I started with a santa cruz heckler and quickly realized I beat that thing way too hard and it was time to replace it with a dh bike. I think I went this direction because of my motocross background, it just felt more natural for me to mob downhill and hit jumps.

Little did I know when I started that riding would turn into what it is for me now. I have met so many awesome people and made some really great friends through riding. I am probably in the best shape I have ever been in and I ride 3-5 days a week (and always wish it was more). I picked up a couple amazing sponsors this year and have been traveling a bunch for races. Its amazing.

Riding has really just brought so many cool opportunities, friends, rides, etc into my life... I can't imagine my life without it now.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I grew up racing bmx, so it definately influences my riding today. I live down the street from a super fun skatepark so I ride there alot, and it has definately helped me progress and learn alot from the other locals there. Love to ride jumps as well, there just aren't many spots near me and the ever rising gas prices don't help at all. I ride DH whenever I can, and I love to race steep fast courses with technical rockgardens, jumps and drops (as long as they aren't to flat) lots of berms, and an maybe off-camber here an there. I definitely prefer style over tricks as I don't do many tricks. I like throw lots of tables and whips, sometimes some tuck no handers, toboggans and griz airs and such. I am trying to learn some more tricks lately, and build a flowy set of jumps that nobody knows about to learn them on.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
You should see the rapid fire gravity dropper I made.

Dude. I'd rather not. So don't try cornering me at Boondocks and attempt to show me. I will take immediate offense and cry rape.

Also, if you want to show it off, post it up on your seatpost fetish website. This is not the place for those things. We would rather yell at kids, play our own live version of Downhill Domination on Livewire and bomb the trails in pathetic attempts to make every run a Sam Hill fan boy race run.

With that said, shoot me some pics via email so I can totally make it my computer background.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Why? Those that know from previous posts, know. If not, take a moment and research/review. You'll understand. What's the style? Very lame, slow, trying too hard to keep the rubber side down. Would rather smell the daisies than burn up the trails. Don't get me wrong-- I like speed, and the feeling of cleaning sections I'd have to walk/hike before. My Downieville experience is one of my better examples-- definately too slow, although I finished without any mechanicals. I also like 24hr events.

In the words of one of my buddies, as we climbed Kingsbury a while back-- Just Keep Spinning, Spinning, Spinning.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
My friend says i have "vaginitis".

I am just getting back into riding so i am a bit slower than most fr/dh but get better each time. I prefer a mix trail because i also like the physical part to keep in shape but i prefer a nice dh.