Quantcast

What i've been up to

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Got to a point of feeling like one of those sprinters in a road race that just got brought back in by the peloton. i've been hitting the task with a blitzkrieg mentality putting in over 250 hours since X-mas. Well it was time to re-evaluate.

So while progress may be slowed, the trail now know as Tqalu Trail will be finished. But probably sometime in the Summer instead of the Spring.

Was able to finish the Bridge Feature. With over 40 feet of split cedar on top of peeled 4 to 6 inch round logs. With the thickness of both the rungs and the slats we were able to run the slats at 8 foot lengths and the rungs are varying from 2'6" to 3'4" wide along the corner. Got the proper slope, put up some fencing, and we were able to run a nice swath of dirt goodness finally creating a trail that ties all the first features together.

Added fencing to define trail from the Bridge to the Sand/Skinny round about to the River Rock/Skinny, then back again to the Teeter Totters. Before we got the trail built people would shoot in from this angle, so we placed some rock to put a stop to that and add some aesthetics. People can still shoot in to strictly session the Teeter Totters, but now they'll do it on the other side of the column, with a better approach and with better sight lines for riders to merge toward the Teeters.

Today was the last day for a while, and it really meant alot to have Art Tuftee there lending a hand today. He is the original designer of Colonnade so it was really a boost to have someone there who specifically understands the stressors involved in a project like this.

i'm walking off for a bit, to get my life back, but i'm satisfied with what i've been able to accomplish. Inside i still want to see this trail to completion, but i can't do that being a tired zombie.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah it's going to be quite that when complete. Not meaning to brag, but i just feel good about the whole thing all in all. Just talking with the project manager, he want's me to put the call out to someone to do the mini Shleyer Drop Feature. Would be nice to come back in 3 weeks and have one less thing to build.

i was talking with Art about the trail. We were talking on the topic with another gentlemen who's tied to DNR, state gubment (Mike you remember Green Mountain, that's Department Natural Resources..)

Anyways when talking about trails in how some people who can't ride like roadie mountain bike wannabes like Lord Opie. They complain about how difficult a trail is. Well then a good solution is more trail.

Well then carry that over to a small area and a small trail, how am i to satisfy trail users of varying levels of so called beginning level skills. Well i provide options by splitting the trail.

Also i confided to Art that a trail like this could really be equated to a "sampler plate" trail.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Holy Crap do i babble when tired....

Update time

The first trail we completed included a hand sculpture from a fellow mt biker Jim N. i'm always thinking of ways to tie this trail to other trails in the park, so i asked him to make me a foot. He agreed and i'm absolutely stoked he created one for the trail. i only wish my mason work would be as up to par, but at least it will likely keep someone from running off with it.

Finally found the time to track down some gravel appropriate for the sand feature. The first load was freebie sandbag sand we got from a Craiglist lead. It just packed up too well. So after a little running around i picked up near a ton of this Sandscrew Sand and it works great. Appropriately named if you don't carry your momentum you are screwed.

Took some time off and i'm pretty happy. i put the word out that i was looking for someone to continue work while i was away and Mike C stepped up and completed a Practice Drop Feature.

Approach and ramp.

First feature that has been completed at this trail where i'm getting feedback it's too easy, which is a nice change. We'll keep on listening to trail users feedback, but we can lift if another 3 inches or so if need be. Taken from the Schleyer Drop model it can be rolled, and it's a great place to safely practice hucks and wheelie drops.

Feature 12 out of 18 complete

And progress on the Climb Feature is moving along, hoping to be complete next week and we'll look to take another short break from Tqalu again.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Drinkin the Kool Aid!

We got some great progress on the hillside and really getting to a point of seeing the light on the end of the tunnel concerning completion of the Tqalu Trail.

Feature 13 Climb Feature complete.

Finally!

We've got sandstone pavers buried and embedded in the dirt with some serious grade. The paver are old cobble road that was dug up from old Seattle roads, and the sandstone itself makes for fantastic traction. We'll add some fencing later as to minimize people descending from the feature, i'm not totally trying to stop people from riding it as a downhill feature, but by putting the fencing in, it will promote more riders to climb.

Once you ascend a couple tiers the trail will veer to the left for beginners as the advanced line continues up to the right with one more steep climb. At the top we'll run a rock tread all the way down where it will re-merge with the trail after the Rock Garden.

Showing the perspective toward the approach of the Rock Garden.

Rocky Tread Feature showcases an advanced rocky tread spin off, yet for the beginner level the rocky tread is a Rock Garden. So it's a pretty big feature involving much work, so i'm glad we got this dialed. Note the various lines the rider can choose. To the right we've got about 5 feet to the left we've got exposure and we've got about 14 feet of rock. So we're promoting beginner level rider to get comfortable by riding to the right and working their way to left as they build in confidence.

The untold tale of how we shored the trail by using a Bobcat should be discussed. Mike Westra the project coordinator really has helped me turn what would take weeks and weeks in matter of days dragging huge cottonwoods in place, shoring enormous amounts of gravel and dirt. Retaining and creating a nice wide swath of path along the hillside, gently sloped down with a subtle grade to assist new riders over obstructions.

Oh and Joel L scored a bunch of these huge cottonwood rounds, so of course we had to create a little side option for a rollover.

Feature 14 out of 17 complete

Root Feature

We buried some treated 4X4 in crushed gravel, attached some 2 to 5" round logs with timber screws. Cut some regular 2X4 inbetween the logs to support and keep them from rocking loose, and filled inbetween the logs with crushed gravel. Also built a small rock retaining wall and added a 5' cedar log at about 1' round to emulate a root drop.

Switched direction here, i had originally intended an off-camber feature, but thought better of it. Instead wanting to add a feature that i thought would be funner, and be more consistent of a rooty challenge that is more common on local trails here anyways. i'm pretty happy i came to this decision as i think it makes the trail better overall, and helps assist beginner level riders which is it's primary purpose.

That's a pretty important part of the process of the trail build is to allow for yourself to not only be influenced by others, but scrutinize yourself once in a while for the sake of the trail being better. You get hung up on what you had planned but be prepared when you actually get to the area to shift gears and move on something that might be better.

Hoping for just a few more updates and a final report, i can almost see it!!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Update time.

Early on in the process of creating this trail, it was suggested that a trail be built with no stunts/features. Many riders benefit from warming up before riding challenging technical terrain. So a trail was created for this purpose.

Also this trail along with other trails will serve as an easily accessible place to host demonstrations. Where land managers and trail builders can examine sustainable trail builds built by and with mountain bikers in mind.

It's also nice to have a nice forest canopy and a nice flowy XC trail. A nice sample of natural goodness just feet away from the contrast of a stark arid trail under the freeway.

Picked up this metal grate from a job a few years back. It was an extra piece and usually a piece like this would find it's way to the recyclers in exchange for beer money. But it finally found a home in the park. Nobody knew what to do with it, luckily for me. Remembering i saved it for the park, it fit perfect over a drainage ditch. With a few bucks we secured it into place using concrete posts and lag bolts. And somebody dumped this sign off a few days back. i don't know if we can get the city to buy off into using this sign for the park considering it's likely removed from somewhere without permission. But i suppose we'll try anyways.

We're on the home stretch...

spec_rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
poulsbo
good work skooks! i rode the practice drop into the lil berm the other day and threw some style into the top of that tiny berm...fun line...nice work.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
The trail looks truly amazing, and hours of fun.

Quick question. I noticed that the trail runs very close the pillars for the bridge in many spots. Is there the possibility that someone would hit one or two very hard? Especially seeing as how it's a beginners trail?

Would it be good to put up padding similar to what you see on a downhill ski course, on the gondola pillars?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Quick question. I noticed that the trail runs very close the pillars for the bridge in many spots. Is there the possibility that someone would hit one or two very hard?
That's why he has the hidden wireless cameras set up...

Plus, a beginner's gotta learn sometime somehow.

I say you just stencil some chalk outlines on the pillars as a subtle warning, skooks...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Quick question. I noticed that the trail runs very close the pillars for the bridge in many spots. Is there the possibility that someone would hit one or two very hard? Especially seeing as how it's a beginners trail?
It's possible, as it's possible for a rider to hit a tree on an easy course in the woods.

Your question is important for multitudes of reasons. In planning and construction of the trail i'm constantly having to alter the trail and painstakingly put alot of forethought into each feature. First and foremost i need to have the capability of most features being possible to be ridden by a new rider.

This has lead to many adjustments because there is a vast broad interpretation by many many people on where this level should be. And there is also the factor that some people are more gifted or have a knack for riding some features and other features they might have more trouble.

So i have spaced features apart, have left the trail open in spots to allow for a certain amount of sessioning. Have widened the trail in spots, have made variable lines and/or routes so an individual has the option of testing their riding to the extent of where they are most comfortable with. And observe sight lines, route and re-route to avoid collisions. And it's fascinating to see the lines different riders create, and sometimes i have to work to eliminate those lines if they would create danger or erosion of the trail.

So along with that, and focusing specifically on your question, i observe how riders both new and advanced ride the trail when i work on it. Then and well before i route the trail in such a way where fall zones are worked out the best i can make them. Mind you i'm not building a trail where i expect nobody to crash, but i have put alot of thought on how to minimize fall hazards. While the padding to me is an idea that is pretty overkill in my point of view, that thought behind it, in thinking about not only the safety of the rider, and providing a trail that would be less intimidating has always been prevelant in my thought process concerning design/construction of this trail.

And yah there are some lines that are not "beginner" per se. But again if the rider learns the proper fundamentals to ride the beginner line, and applies them to the more advanced line. They will learn what many of us riders who have been around a while and are a tad more proficient than most, know. And that is using the same techniques they can master a more high risk manuever or obstacle, and many times they would not have thought it possible prior...

In summation this trail can learn you in less than one year what it took me many years to learn and many bumps and bruises....

Thanks for the question, i know that's not quite the answer you were probably looking for but it gave me an opportunity to relay insight on the process that many people might not recognize.:)

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think you should do us a favor. Borrow a helmet mounted video camera. Ride the trail and narrate the way. Then post it here for us to enjoy. We need Skooks TV!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ODDS AND ENDS

A good time to update. i've got 2 more features to make and one to finish but the last weeks i've spent tying up loose ends. Most all of this work are adjustments and many are from suggestions from other folk, so thanks for the feedback all of you, you know who you are.

For the Bridge feature we put up some more fencing and a couple more log poles. First and foremost this will visually aid new rider, giving them a mental confidence to ride the bridge.
The poles are there for that purpose but as soon as approval is sent through from the city i'd like to attach a sign reading TQALU made from cedar as a header to the official entrance of the trail.
Also fencing defines the border towards the end of the trail where people coming out from the Switchback Feature are compelled to run down to the final features, the Practice Drop Feature and the soon to be build Downhill Feature.

And speaking of which here we have some highlights. The new berm at the bottom of the drop, the new speed bump at the bottom of the No Feature Trail and the new berm at the beginning of the Switchback turn.
Also notable we built up a nice approach to the Practice Drop deck.

Closer look at the berm at the bottom of the switchback. Now you can carry some speed around the corner, will help minimize skidding. Helps flow so on so forth, all good things.
i always thought i'd return here and raise the inslope, but more and more people talked me making it a smallish berm and it is indeed the right call.

Had to finish this section. Mike C, the builder of the drop recommended a berm and although i resisted at first it should have been a no-brainer. Might build it a bit more high, and we have some turfstone pavers for a nice skid plate prior to the berm.

And for people coming off the grate with too much speed we added a nice bump. The Redwood tree makes for poor sight line and there's a small chance of collision for 2 ascending/descending riders. The bump should minimize that possibility, keep riders from sluffing off the inslope and slipping off trail by coming down and around too hot. Plus a bump (unlike a chicane) is conducive to flow which is like frikkin gold man.

Set up a nice cheater board so people can dab on the steepest sections of grade on the Climb Feature. People not making the climb and other riders doing tricks on this section were wearing out the dirt and in short time the pavers would be coming loose. Had to do it, and of course now people are starting to ride the boards like a skinny so more adjustment will have to be made to put a stop to that.
Always a process....

Showing the fencing to define the trail. This will prevent riders from riding across, and also keep people from riding in hot from the road above. The road can be used as an easier climb access to the trail nearing the Rock Garden.
Also not really shown is addition of more pavers to the upper steep section. By the amount of tire/skid/wash out marks, i made it a little wider.

And onto the new and improved Root Feature. i used to get feedback and criticism from folk via email or second hand, about how some features are too difficult or dangerous. Now i'm getting it third or fourth hand which is kind of weird, but rest assured all who are concerned, i'm still listening.

We shaved off the big nub on the end of the cottonwood retaining, and we built another level of rock retaining and log retaining. Skimmed the high side of the trail and built the level to the correct height.

That should keep people from ramming into the column, as we're going to eventually route the trail above this new berm. In the meantime this new berm is blocked off with some wood. It doesn't take much time for people to do the work to remove obstacles, which is lame. But in this case i just need a day for the soil to dry and they can ride the hell out of it. So as long as nobody has cleared it as i type it should be safe, and i won't have to put anymore work into patching any ruts.

And here is reason for a berm, a nice alternative approach to carry more speed to the Wooden Berm Feature.

If memory serves me correct i think i was forecasting myself to finish the trail this month, when i first started. i'm actually quite close to finishing and so my prediction wasn't too far off. i needed a goal, a target to make and sticking to that deadline was unrealistic as it turns out. But i'm very happy with the progress that i've made. It always seems like i wish for more help, but i'm very happy with the help i have recieved, and without it i for sure could not have gotten this far.

We're gettin there...

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Hey Skookum. Let me know if you need any more log rounds. I have a few large (say.... 8"-18" tall) tulip tree rounds that are probably 48" wide. I work in Fremont and I'd be happy to contribute if you could make use of them. They are dry and rather hard to split for firewood anyways...

I have a truck and I can drop them off onsite should you want them.

Aaron

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey Skookum. Let me know if you need any more log rounds. I have a few large (say.... 8"-18" tall) tulip tree rounds that are probably 48" wide. I work in Fremont and I'd be happy to contribute if you could make use of them. They are dry and rather hard to split for firewood anyways...

I have a truck and I can drop them off onsite should you want them.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Welp i absolutely have no idea what Tulip Tree rounds are like. But i do know that i'm looking for ornate peices of wood i can place in empty areas to spruce the area up visually. i'm trying to use cedar as much as i can, (for longevity) but if you have a gnarly wrangled pretty cool chunk that might be good to look at for off the side of the trail, i might be interested.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I understand the use of Cedar, both for longevity and color. The Tulip tree is a white-wood, broadleaf deciduous who's wood is rather bland and boring. The primary benefit of this wood, at least I think, would be for supports or something that requires rather dense wood. It sounds like at this stage, it may be unnecessary.

For reference, here is a wiki on the tree eastern Native Americans called "canoe-wood".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

You are doing some good work out there. On a side note, do you and the BBTC post a list of stuff that you need? It sounds like you surf craigslist and the like, but I wonder if a published list would give you good results?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You are doing some good work out there. On a side note, do you and the BBTC post a list of stuff that you need? It sounds like you surf craigslist and the like, but I wonder if a published list would give you good results?

http://www.bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Trail:I-5_Colonnade

i suppose that this probably would be helpful. At the same time i think if someone has something to give away they can always ask Mike W the project coordinator. Me and other trail crew leaders as well, but at this time it's getting down to crunch time and we don't need more work moving something we're not going to use.
But yah if someone has some pavers, rocks, logs and such we've generally been happy to take free stuff off of peoples hands.
Right now we could certainly use more hands for helping, the more help we get to wrap things up, the more attention we can give to extra cool things that otherwise may fall by the wayside as there will be no time left.
As far as the Tqalu Trail, that i'm involved with i'm pretty confident i'll be able to finish everything i currently have in mind before the deadline.

weatherm

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
That place is so awesome. Rented crappy bikes and rode at that place.. I had such a good time, even on a POS! great quality building and everything is just dialed... next time I'm out that way I'm bringing my bike =]

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Colonnade Mountain Bike Skills Building Park

Seattle Washington

Tqalu Trail

With time winding down, and a very pleasant vacation in the rear view mirror, it's time to see the trail to completion.
Always something extra to tend to. Built the berm higher, it's a pretty brunt turn, so it needed to keep the raked out big bikes on track. It also helps visually so riders can track toward it.

Feature 15 Rocky Tread Complete

We dialed in the rock garden section on the lower half for beginners. Now the upper half is completed.

Being how it's a more advanced line we see where the advanced climb ties into the rocky tread section which meanders back down. Tying back into the trail before the Rooty Tread Feature.

i'm pretty used to being scolded for making the trail too difficult in spots. The upper line is more difficult for a beginner yes. But i truly feel it's a necessity for the trail. i'll get into that in a bit but for now i have made the major adjustment of having a retaining wall/fencing put in. It drastically reduces the exposure, and the rider is now aided by a fence to grab onto if they stall.

Certainly i feel that all the challenges of varied folk involved adding criticism at times is frustrating. But it's not a big deal, and it actually leads to a better trail in where you can utilize suggestion or create your own solution out from the problem whether real or percieved. At any rate as a volunteer it takes more work, but to the quality of the project it will never suffer, unless you allow it to.

A backwards glance and a reflection on the reasons why i like to introduce more difficult but like features. Firstly this is a beginner skills level trail, yes. But i think more challenge encourages riders to study more advanced riders and firstly recognize that it's possible to ride terrain. And from that study what those riders to conquer the like feature. They can have a go at the easier feature and work their way toward something, which makes the Tqalu Trail more viable for more people, and varying levels of beginners. There are mountain bike riders that have ridden for years and years, toting beginner level technical level ability. The Tqalu Trail affords them a safe and fun environment in which to expand abilities and enhance their strengths. There are also like features that are much more advanced in Colonnade Park, as well as other trails, so this give riders opportunity to work toward them as well. If this trail just had one easy line, it would fast lose relevance.

Again the idea from the beginning is to adapt an "easy out" idea in a trail from a feature. Now instead we have the features with multiple line where it's encouraged to try a simpler section, but give the option of something more difficult. If you are on a skills building trail you are not looking to take the easy way out, you are looking to work your way up.

Big thanks to many folk who helped me complete Feature 16 Downhill Feature.

Of course it's not "totally" complete, but good enough for me to report on it. Some wood needs to be added to retain the sides and keep the sandstone cobble from sluffing out. But we got a nice skid plate with turfstone pavers over a nice drainage ditch.

We've got 3 basic lines. The one to the right is strictly sandstone paver set to a nice even run out, no surprises. To the left we have a similar run, but i built it up another 8 inches or so and added a few rocks in the path for a bigger run down, and for something else in the sight lines. And of course some nice big fatty rocks down the middle.

A closer look at the feature as well as highlighting the varied height. And below we have the option of choosing the Beginner Drop or Downhill Lite. Really only time i've routed the trail where you have to choose one or the other in the sequence. Decision is a little out of my hands in terms of space and terrain available. Oh well, end with bang either way.

One more feature to go, i'm so close to completing major construction. Still more work to do with clean up, beautification, various knick knacks, and the most important tangent to the original vision of this not only being a skills building trail, but also an interpretive trail. The signs are coming, stay tuned....

goodgnus

Chimp
Jul 30, 2008
What an awesome project! I applaud your efforts and dedication. Hopefully one day I'll be in Seattle and I'll make it a point to ride the trail!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
17 Features Complete!

Completion of trail construction happened a few weeks back. The work is never quite done as there are still odds and ends, clean up of various materials, makin it look all nice by weeding and spreading some more wood chips, and some signs.

Shored up the pavers with some logs and crushed rock. So the feature is now officially complete.

Revisited the Climb Feature. Cleaned it up a tad and sanitized the advanced approach as it was too tough. So with the fencing and making the intro into the advanced Rock Tread Feature, we should be dialed into making a doable challenge for Beginner/Intermediates looking to step up to the next level.

So if you look along the side of the Sandstone Pavers i've strategically placed poles, rocks and a log. It makes it more natural looking but it also keeps people from cutting corners. Soil erosion on steep terrain is made worse by people skidding off the track, eventually that will erode and sluff them out. Also by keeping riders on the track when they descend it, it will slow them, thus helping avoid possible collisions for riders climbing the feature for which it is really intended.

And we approach the final feature, but before i show an example of being a bit creative with using the log poles. In this trail i used them for aesthetics it really gives it a natural feel, sort of like a trail through a clear cut or forest fire, which isn't pristine, but natural nontheless, i mean c'mon we're under a freeway here, cut me some slack. i've used them to try to block riders from riding in places that i don't want them to to prevent trail erosion and also help prevent possible collisions, i've used them to provide for something to hold onto in case you stall on a feature, and in this case i used to to block a possible collision with a strap bracket knuckle on this column. If you look at older pictures with this perspective you can see what i'm talking about. Running into this pole is not good, but alot better than bashing the dome on that knuckle.

And here we have completion of the final feature. Pedal Placement Feature 17 out of 17 DONE!!!!

Yah i probably could have waited to make a more exciting feature the last, sue me. This feature always seemed to puzzle me on how i was going to make it work. i knew i wanted to fence riders and use rocks or logs that would teach riders to keep there pedals high on the side they were passing the obstructions. But it wasn't til a ride i lead last month where there were alot of old deadfall pine from an old burn. They would fall into the trail, and trail crews would saw them off sometimes alongside the trail. i noticed they had a tendency to push a rider to a specific line and i incorporated it for the feature.

So one more final report is due. i've been doing over 3 years of trail work Colonnade in general, and it's been a valuable learning experience for me. In any construction application, you're constantly learning and getting better, just like riding. Through this process there are some regrets and things i had wished were made easier. i've gotten really good feedback from many people that are using the trail, but i really think it could have been better with more support and time, as well as less stressful. But i absolutely cannot say i didn't dive in head first knowing the challenges. But for the most part i pulled it off and that's a great source of pride. In that i know i gave back to other people the joy that i have received within the recreation of mountain biking. So the trail is for the most part done, and i will remember what a good friend told me about finishing. The project when completed is like a big epic climb up a mountain, and the downhill is knowing that wherever you are, someone is riding your trail. For those reading this that assisted me in the Tqalu Learning Trail, please allow me to share this gratification with you, thanks so much.

One more report....

Last edited: