Quantcast

what kind (brand) of auto-mechanic should i become????

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, i´ve been thinking.

am fresh out of auto-mechanics school. i work as a supervisor in an outsourced costumer service crap.

i dont think i´d give up my main job, but i want to get working experience as a mechanic. i might consider going full time to auto-mechanics if the experience is worth it (though it pays peanuts here)
i also want to go back to school in the not-so far future (1 year) to finish mechanical engineering. that´d have to be in the good ol´US, because thats where i started.

i got an agreement with the folks, if i go back and finish college to the US, they´d pick up hald the tab and i´d have to pick up the other half of the school bill.

so that leaves me with this decision.
in terms of the job market in the states, what kind (brand) of auto technicians would be the better.

the local market gives the next options available in the states:
daimler-chrysler
all the japanese brands
hyundai
audi/vw/seat/porsche
fiat/ferrari
ford (small dealership)
GM (even smaller dealership)

and a lot of smaller brands which i believe are too small to be desirable. oh yeah, add small rally-car builder shops. i would go to school in the deep south.

thoughts?

edit Add BMW (kinda big dealership network here) and volvo to that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I know someone in California who is a Porsche mechanic, but has no desire to drive fast cars.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
vw group, since they break down the most :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
Volvo - Get the Chicks!
chicks? that was freaky. growing up, my mom and i rode volvos.
they (specially the wagons and xc´s) are the ultimate soccer-mom mobile in Lima.

brian HCM, good call. am starting over and planning my future, so i want to do something that would help in the long run.

initially, i plan to come back home after college (unless i get a kick ass job offer in something related to autoracing, but chances are slim. UK/europe would have been a better place for that, but am 23 and its too late for me to start engineering from scratch again or transferring over there after raising my gpa, i dont want to finish college bordering 30!), so having open the road of starting a specialty shop, or importing cars appeals to me. (that idea roamed my mind a while ago, when i dropped out of college and before i went into auto mechanics school).

keep them ideas coming people....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ALEXIS_DH said:
chicks? that was freaky. growing up, my mom and i rode volvos.
they (specially the wagons and xc´s) are the ultimate soccer-mom mobile in Lima.

brian HCM, good call. am starting over and planning my future, so i want to do something that would help in the long run.

initially, i plan to come back home after college (unless i get a kick ass job offer in something related to autoracing, but chances are slim. UK/europe would have been a better place for that, but am 23 and its too late for me to start engineering from scratch again or transferring over there after raising my gpa, i dont want to finish college bordering 30!), so having open the road of starting a specialty shop, or importing cars appeals to me. (that idea roamed my mind a while ago, when i dropped out of college and before i went into auto mechanics school).

keep them ideas coming people....

hey whats wrong with 30? i am 30 and just started college!!!!:mumble:

am i old?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
vw group, since they break down the most :D
:stupid:

My ex-wifes Passat has cost nearly as much in repairs as the $24k purchase price over the last 12 years. You would make bank if your a part of that scene.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
biggins said:
hey whats wrong with 30? i am 30 and just started college!!!!:mumble:

am i old?

thats not bad.

my sister finished law school at 29.
after 11 years, 1 at literature in one school, 1 at phylosophy at another here, 3 at pre-law in europe and 5 years, again, here and 1 year in between all.
transfers suck and law usually takes 6-7 years here.

the thing is, when i was in high school, i busted her balls everyday for that. :)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I dunno how true this is but while I was asking some dealerships around here about work one of the service guys told me that a Domestic mechanic basicly specializes is a part of the car (say brakes, transmission, engine, rear end etc...) and that's all they pretty much do. I asked about imports and he said that an Import mechanic can do all aspects of the car (engine, trans, brakes, electrical etc...). I dunno how true this is as it was comming from a Ford dealer but it made me think of how much more schooling you may need for an import vs domestic mechanic.

I've thought about going to our local community college and taking their auto program as it's a lot less than say Wyotech or UTI and it gives me basicly the same certificate. The only problem is my area sucks for auto tech's with new jobs. But we'll see, the school isn't moving anywhere so I can still ponder it for a while.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I'd go with Diamler-Chrysler or VW but be sure to get into the diesels as that will be a huge trend