Quantcast

What kind of blister is this and how do you get rid of it?

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Appeared after 6 days in Whistler. It looks like a normal callous type thing but it looks like theres a pool of blood under it or something. Anyone ever had one like this?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If it doesn't hurt, just leave it alone. The blood will dry up, and it will peel off after awhile. Poking it introduces infection and it probably won't drain anything anyway.

Most blisters heal naturally and do not require any treatment. As new skin grows beneath the blister, the fluid contained within it is slowly absorbed, and the skin on top dries and peels off.

Try to keep blisters intact to avoid infection. Unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to infection. Never pierce the blister with a needle, but allow the blister to break on its own.

When the blister bursts, you may need to cover the area with a dry, sterile dressing to protect it from infection until it heals. Blood blisters should also be left to heal of their own accord. They are often painful, and you may wish to apply a cold pack straight after the injury. As with normal blisters, it is important to keep the area clean and dry, and protect it with a sterile bandage to prevent infection.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=63&AreaID=3709&LinkID=2784

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The callous has pulled away from the tissue underneath it which caused the bleeding. Leave it alone and it'll get better all by itself. It'll eventually surface and come off with the callous. No need to lance it, unless you particularly enjoy infections.

Try thicker diameter grips so your hand doesn't fold up there as much. I used to get them all the time until I switched up to Oury Lockons.

Mike

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
As a former gymnast who has had hundreds of those, I say get rid of it. Poke a hole it it and cut it out with some fingernail clippers. Trim the skin all the way back to where it's still good. Make sure you put some lotion or something on it while it heals. You are not going to get an infection from a little blood blister. What a bunch of pussies.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BSEVEER said:
As a former gymnast who has had hundreds of those, I say get rid of it. Poke a hole it it and cut it out with some fingernail clippers. Trim the skin all the way back to where it's still good. Make sure you put some lotion or something on it while it heals. You are not going to get an infection from a little blood blister. What a bunch of pussies.

I don't pop them on purpose, but they open on their own after a day at work and I never do anything to them and I haven't had an infection yet...

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
BSEVEER said:
Come on....fingernail clippers??? BE A MAN!!!! grab an orbital sander and grind that sonovabitch into oblivion! While you're at it just remove the rest of the skin on your hand and seal it up with Nu-skin. You'll be fine.

:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BSEVEER said:
I've had plenty of blood blisters, and I don't understand why you'd get rid of it? Especially as a gymnast - it's perfectly good calloused skin. If you cut it all away, you've just got sensitive skin underneath that will hurt a lot more than leaving it.

:confused:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
It's not a friction blister. You just touched a dirty Surreygirl while you were in Van, didn't you, and got a nasty infection.

C'mon, fess up. You're going to die anyway.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
I say pop it. I had one under my big toe from a crash. I drilled through my nail to release the blood and junk. As someone said, don't be a pussy. If you keep it clean you wont get infected. If you dont want to pop it, get some mole skin and tape.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
If you do pop it and trim back the skin, you can use Super Glue to create a seal between the new sensitive skin and the rest of the world. Super Glue was designed as an alternative to needle and thread for the flesh. It'll hold for around 5 days and deteriorate and fall off on its own. A tube of it should be kept in every first aid kit. Just make sure it's clean before you seal it and there'll be no infections. It's best for areas where you don't flex much as it's not pliable. I'm currently using it on a nail I shaved to the flesh w/ a brand new razor sharp French blade while cooking the other night (no I didn't leave the shaving in my food).

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
I knew I could count on you guys for a solid, unanimous opinion!

I was going to pop this sucker in the shower this morning but when I woke up I saw that it was starting to open itself up. I'm definitely not going to cut back all the skin with a nail clipper so I can expose fresh skin and get an even worse blister next time I ride. :think:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Zack said:
I knew I could count on you guys for a solid, unanimous opinion!

I was going to pop this sucker in the shower this morning but when I woke up I saw that it was starting to open itself up. I'm definitely not going to cut back all the skin with a nail clipper so I can expose fresh skin and get an even worse blister next time I ride. :think:
Gloves?

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Its a frikin hematoma for gods sakes...Leave it alone if its small, it'll take care of itself. If'n its large, pierce the "bubble" close to the skin with a needle and bleed it out. DO NOT remove the rough layer of skin, that is the only thing protecting the soft girly skin underneath...When its ready to it will slough off..... And no fingernail clippers for crimmeny......

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
binary visions said:
I've had plenty of blood blisters, and I don't understand why you'd get rid of it? Especially as a gymnast - it's perfectly good calloused skin. If you cut it all away, you've just got sensitive skin underneath that will hurt a lot more than leaving it.

:confused:

The reason a gymnast needs to cut it off is that it will tear off while you're swinging on rings, highbar etc. and it will travel, get bigger and usually deeper. Sometimes it will travel up on to your finger. If you cut it off yourself you have the control over it and it wont get worse. Yes, the skin is sensitive underneath but that's just a little bit of pain. As soon as you tear it off you have to start toughening up the skin by touching it or hitting it with you other hand. I had competitions before where I would get a rip, blood and all, the size of a nickel in warm up. I would chew that sucker off, pack it full of chalk and and get back up on the rings highbar or p-bars. That did involve a little more pain but it's not like you can bail of the competition because of it.