Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So now that someone has actually purchased a car, how long until Westy mods it now? New downpipe and tune will make that go kart rip. Is that manual transmission strong? :busted:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I believe so that Mrs @Adventurous could drive it.
I have a similar need on our planning for a vehicle that can tow as my wife can't drive manual either having never had to learn.

I keep pondering letting her attack the clutch next time we're in an appropriate rental.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Excuses! Admit you can only shift with your left hand. :busted:
:p I've driven M/T's in freedumland plenty of times. Much prefer automatic if I'm sitting in traffic though. I think I'd only driven a couple of different auto's in the decade of driving before migrating over here...

Undecided if there would be any benefit to A/T versus M/T if we do get a taco though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
test drove an e60 545i today. Neat car, stick. Shifted great, handled well. Kind of approximating exactly what I want in a vehicle. Sold by a creepy russian who wouldn't let me red line it during the test drive :-/ Oh well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So now that someone has actually purchased a car, how long until Westy mods it now? New downpipe and tune will make that go kart rip. Is that manual transmission strong? :busted:
More than enough power. If I wanted something to tune I would have gotten something used and with no warranty to void.

Any power increase would cause the stock clutch to slip. It would seem as though those who have gone for monster power mods have suffered rapid haldex duff failures.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have actually met you in person if you recall. I can't say if I noticed if you had any Archery skills either....
I can build an air cannon with parts from a hardware store that can launch a pretty hefty projectile beyond the speed of sound. Make that projectile a 2" ice slug and I can rain death from 700 yards and leave no traceable evidence. I am beyond the need for archery.

I could tell you about my flaming projectiles but I'd rather you find out by looking up as you contemplate regrettable decisions and the need for Nomex underwear.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can build an air cannon with parts from a hardware store that can launch a pretty hefty projectile beyond the speed of sound. Make that projectile a 2" ice slug and I can rain death from 700 yards and leave no traceable evidence. I am beyond the need for archery.

I could tell you about my flaming projectiles but I'd rather you find out by looking up as you contemplate regrettable decisions and the need for Nomex underwear.
Its kind of cute that you think I contemplate regrettable decisions... I like you anyways....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Then why do you contemplate Portugal?
I don't expect you to understand what a broken heart is. Never fall in love with a women that hates waffles but drives around to different stores to find the good sardines...Hopefully you will never endure that pain my friend....

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:p I've driven M/T's in freedumland plenty of times. Much prefer automatic if I'm sitting in traffic though. I think I'd only driven a couple of different auto's in the decade of driving before migrating over here...

Undecided if there would be any benefit to A/T versus M/T if we do get a taco though.
Thinking a 2016+ Taco? You guys are more than welcome to take my '15 for a spin if you want. It's not an entirely fair comparison considering what I've done to it, but offer is on the table.

As far as the A/T vs. M/T, the benefit to the M/T would be that the power band of the 3.5L engine is at higher RPMs (lacks the low end grunt of its predecessor), so you wouldn't have to mat it to get some oomph out of the new engine. How heavy is the trailer you are looking to pull?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thinking a 2016+ Taco? You guys are more than welcome to take my '15 for a spin if you want. It's not an entirely fair comparison considering what I've done to it, but offer is on the table.

As far as the A/T vs. M/T, the benefit to the M/T would be that the power band of the 3.5L engine is at higher RPMs (lacks the low end grunt of its predecessor), so you wouldn't have to mat it to get some oomph out of the new engine. How heavy is the trailer you are looking to pull?
DCLB is a little longer than we were after, just a ACLB was on our potential list, but I'll run it past wifey. We still need to go wander around Stevinson to see the different versions in the flesh.

Trailer we're pondering is quoted as being 1500lbs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Did you not trade it in on the ErthFkr?

Asking for a friend ....
No sir! Still deciding what to do, May keep it since the loan doesn’t have that much time left on it and I doubt someone wants to fork over $38K for it.

Funny thing is the Cummins will end up being more fuel efficient. :busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Started the de-americanification of the R last night. Unlocked the ratcheting arm rest and enabled window open/close via remote. Will disable various annoying chimes tonight and program reverse mirror tilt. Will probably also disable the fake engine noise.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Funny thing is the Cummins will end up being more fuel efficient. :busted:
My F350 running B99 averaged about 20mpg, B99 was $.50 less per gallon and Oregon gives you a buck off every gallon up to 200 gallons on your taxes. I got a printout from the station I got my fuel from.

My Silverado is more like 14mpg.

<edit> my F@rd was all stock engine, no tuner or anything.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My F350 running B99 averaged about 20mpg, B99 was $.50 less per gallon and Oregon gives you a buck off every gallon up to 200 gallons on your taxes. I got a printout from the station I got my fuel from.

My Silverado is more like 14mpg.

<edit> my F@rd was all stock engine, no tuner or anything.
Yup, the 3500 is reported ~19 mpg avg and goes up from there if you do a delete or have a tuner set for MPG. It's insane to think that a 8K+ lb truck with 370 HP and 800 lb*ft can pull better MPGs than my 5K lb Tacoma with 240 HP/270 lb*ft.