Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wait...y u not bmw 2015 330? can be had in manual; rwd or awd...it was the other finalist when i was looking...the new 340’s manual “assist” rev matching can apparently only be turned off when stability control is as well, and steering is a bit less precise. i’m sure it would be fun as hell anyway though...
I found a 2012 335i locally. I'll test that one today. Haven't been big on BMW due to late-life reliability and lack of warranty. Plus, manual/rwd cars are hens teeth out here in no wangland. It snows three times a year and without AWD, you'll never make it to DuDo. The newer ones are significantly more expensive than most of the cars I'm looking at.

///M5 or bust.
///Alfa

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
More updates nobody reads:

Alfa V3:
This is my third time driving the car. This one had paddle shifters and 19s. Fantastic car. Sunroof is kind of stupid. Infotainment still mediocre, backup cam laughable. Driving dynamics exceptional. Do want. Was offered 6250 off msrp. Them folks want to sell...

Cadillac CTS V-sport
This might be my next car if I can find one for the right price. Exceptionally quiet inside. Great stereo. Cue is not as bad as people say. Car is very fast, paddle shifters are nice and crisp, maybe not as great as the alfa but still good. Back seat is spacious and the interior is like a cockpit. I would be ready to make the trade happen but there were a few issues with this is exact car in question that makes me hesitate. I will keep my eye out for another one, because this is pretty great.

BMW 335i
Nice car. Way more wind noise than the cadillac. Suspension was not as good but still nice and firm. 300hp is really the sweet spot for cars, the i6 pulls exceptionally well and the car is well appointed inside, better space than I had imagined (probably better than the alfa of course). Burbled a bit like the alfa, but it was more subdued.

Lessons learned so far:
Carmax is kind of neat, but the two cars I drove were kind of fucking shitty and that's not making me feel confident about the whole deal.
I frickin love the Alfa, and hovering around 5300-6000 off is pretty neat. You can't get the cash rebate and the 0% financing, so I'd have to BYOF, or just ask them to give me the cash and the financing or walk.
The cadillac has all the pieces of the puzzle that I want. Too bad it smelled like death, had a bad transmission, and the armrest was falling off...

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
More updates nobody reads:

Alfa V3:
This is my third time driving the car. This one had paddle shifters and 19s. Fantastic car. Sunroof is kind of stupid. Infotainment still mediocre, backup cam laughable. Driving dynamics exceptional. Do want. Was offered 6250 off msrp. Them folks want to sell...

Cadillac CTS V-sport
This might be my next car if I can find one for the right price. Exceptionally quiet inside. Great stereo. Cue is not as bad as people say. Car is very fast, paddle shifters are nice and crisp, maybe not as great as the alfa but still good. Back seat is spacious and the interior is like a cockpit. I would be ready to make the trade happen but there were a few issues with this is exact car in question that makes me hesitate. I will keep my eye out for another one, because this is pretty great.

BMW 335i
Nice car. Way more wind noise than the cadillac. Suspension was not as good but still nice and firm. 300hp is really the sweet spot for cars, the i6 pulls exceptionally well and the car is well appointed inside, better space than I had imagined (probably better than the alfa of course). Burbled a bit like the alfa, but it was more subdued.

Lessons learned so far:
Carmax is kind of neat, but the two cars I drove were kind of fucking shitty and that's not making me feel confident about the whole deal.
I frickin love the Alfa, and hovering around 5300-6000 off is pretty neat. You can't get the cash rebate and the 0% financing, so I'd have to BYOF, or just ask them to give me the cash and the financing or walk.
The cadillac has all the pieces of the puzzle that I want. Too bad it smelled like death, had a bad transmission, and the armrest was falling off...
glorious ls based noises :drool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am reading/following along, living vicariously through your totally different than mine car search.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FFS GET THE ALPHA MALE ROMEO ALREADY! :rant:

(you made me want one, too)
sorry bout that.

I'd have to convince the wife, which is possible but unlikely at this point in time. She needs a new car first and mine is a year old. I probably have to wait a bit before I could pull this off, but that's OK, it'll allow depreciation in the alfas and the 18s have android auto, which the 17s do not have. There's a possibility out there, though, thanks to another company acquisition...but I'd be taking a large hit on depreciation on the Rav, which would be less impactful in another year.

but do yourself a favor and don't drive it. On paper it's a stupid car, that's not as fast as others and it's made by chrysler and it's italian. Once you're in it, though, it's like a damn go kart. You would absolutely love it, the way you drive. It's perfect for new england roads, with shitty potholes and tight turns. I think the paddles are stupid though, so you can at least save money there! Outward visibility is very good, and the car feels small. I was looking for a four-door miata, and that's what it reminds me of. All of the other cars I've driven have felt larger, save for the infiniti. Even the three series felt like a bigger car than the droolia. Plus, the way it rattles. The engine shakes just a little bit to remind you that it's there, like it has a lumpy cam. It's like a cat purring against your leg.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am buying my friends wife's Racing Toureg. i got a buyer for the Rav 4 and that will facilitate the Toureg purchase. Mechanic needs to look at it first. I plan to sell the aftermarket rims for top dollar and use the Oem rims and buy new tires to begin with the proceeds. Warranty transfers for $160. Free oil changes and 60K service... After that I am on my own...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am buying my friends wife's Racing Toureg. i got a buyer for the Rav 4 and that will facilitate the Toureg purchase. Mechanic needs to look at it first. I plan to sell the aftermarket rims for top dollar and use the Oem rims and buy new tires to begin with the proceeds. Warranty transfers for $160. Free oil changes and 60K service... After that I am on my own...
V10 TDI or bust. Entertain us with your car repair misery.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
V10 TDI or bust. Entertain us with your car repair misery.
I am on the upside with the Rav 4. I need to replace a rotted out spring. And 3 out of 4 tires. I got a buyer. Toureg is not a V10 and needs no work to pass inspection. I have no car repair misery....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sales guy had me test drive a Acura MDX. 2016 11K miles. I like it. No deals to be had. Just write the check and take the hit....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:popcorn:

I am pretty sure the Touareg is the worst of them all (and worse than most Audi, too) - mayyybe with the exception of the W12 Phaeton.
A coworker bought a V6 Touareg for $2000 off Craigslist. PO said that it seemed fine most of the time, but would just randomly die for no reason once in a while, and his mechanic couldn't figure it out. Just wanted it gone. Coworker figured out that the issue was that it had a split, two chambered gas tank that straddled the rear axle. There were two fuel pumps, one that fed the engine, and another that transferred gas from one chamber to the other. The latter had died, the upshot of which was, as long as he kept it over 1/3 of a tank it was fine. He's been driving it for 3 years trouble free. :rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Run fast, and run far, far away from that Toureg. Even with a warranty, an acquaintances' Toureg has been in the shop an average of two weeks out of every month he's owned it. He's dumping it for a Dodge Ram.

When a Ram truck starts looking like the pinnacle of reliability, you know you are in a bad spot.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Run fast, and run far, far away from that Toureg. Even with a warranty, an acquaintances' Toureg has been in the shop an average of two weeks out of every month he's owned it. He's dumping it for a Dodge Ram.

When a Ram truck starts looking like the pinnacle of reliability, you know you are in a bad spot.
I am looking at a Acura MDX now...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The MDX is a great crossover for a hairdresser.
So what do you think I should get asshole? A big gas hog pickup truck? My dick is a normal size. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone. If I like something and I can afford to buy it after I do my due diligence. I buy it. No need to check with my buddies or my wife. Hairdresser is a Noble pursuit as compared to a Car Salesman....

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So what do you think I should get asshole? A big gas hog pickup truck? My dick is a normal size. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone. If I like something and I can afford to buy it after I do my due diligence. I buy it. No need to check with my buddies or my wife. Hairdresser is a Noble pursuit as compared to a Car Salesman....
you should roll the dice of destiny, and buy a early to mid 2000s audi quattro wagon

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I actually like our Infinti QX60/JX35. I was pretty suspect at first, but it has been pretty damn good. Enough get up and go, but the mileage isn't bad for a 7-seater. We got an after market hitch for the bike rack, way cheaper. You absolutely MUST get the factory warranty though. We have had issues with the gas gauge and that was a $2500 repair. There were a few other smaller issues that were resolved under warranty that covered the cost of the $3300 already. My one complaint is that the roof rack pretty much has to be the factory one. Annoying as fuck.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I actually like our Infinti QX60/JX35. I was pretty suspect at first, but it has been pretty damn good. Enough get up and go, but the mileage isn't bad for a 7-seater. We got an after market hitch for the bike rack, way cheaper. You absolutely MUST get the factory warranty though. We have had issues with the gas gauge and that was a $2500 repair. There were a few other smaller issues that were resolved under warranty that covered the cost of the $3300 already. My one complaint is that the roof rack pretty much has to be the factory one. Annoying as fuck.
Just got back from Texa$$ and there are a lot of those infinities running around, at least as many as lexus. Inifiniti has had some strong showings as of late, they just don't always get the attention they should IMO, Nissan seems to keep it a little more low-key. On the other hand, I had to rent a Nissan versa this time and it was pretty bad, lol.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I found one in Buffalo. I am going to check it out Monday...