Quantcast

What kind of cranks?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Looking for a decently priced crank for a singlespeed project that I'm undertaking.

What do you recommend as being solid and not too expensive. I was thinking a Stylo would be a good starting point. Yes/no?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
If you are looking at the stylo's, I'd suggest just spending the extra $20 on the White Industry ENO's. I have a set and absolutely love them. Available in 175mm and 180mm. The guys at webcyclery.com can get them for you.

Nice clean look, rock solid with no flex, extremely low Q. :cool:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm just not digging Truvativ's external BB offerings. if you're just experimenting, i'd just get a cheap set of LXs and a non-ramped ring.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
robdamanii said:
I'm thinking I'll look for a cheap set of cranks to work with. What does everyone run for a chainring? 32t? would it be better to go with a compact crank set up for a 29t ring?
The key thing is your end gearing ratio. However, the smaller the rings you use to achieve that ratio, the more strees you put on your chainrings and chains. If anything, go with 32T or higher in the front and I don't suggest going with anything harder to push beyond a 2:1 ratio such as a 32:16. Personally, the climbs around here are brutal, and I go the next step down to a 32:18. I know lots of people run 32:20 set ups though. If you want to increase strength, increase the size of the rear and front rings keeping the ratio you want.